Next Question, Security?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stanczak

My next question is what can I do about security when we leave the campsite. For example when we stay at a state park and want to go for a hike or bike ride. I do not think the state parks have wifi so how can I affordably make sure someone doesn't steal or damage our stuff?

After a life time of camping and 10 years full timing it I have come to the conclusion that RV parks and campgrounds are the safest place you can be. I have had one small American flag stolen in all that time.

Another lifetime of camping here and 12 years of full timing with the only thefts we've experienced perpetrated by winged or four legged critters when we left food items unprotected. I know there are some private parks in somewhat unsavory metropolitan areas that warn against leaving anything of value outside, but we've always managed to avoid those areas.

Take reasonable precautions: lock things up when unattended and don?t leave valuables on display as to attract the attention of a would-be thief.

Not quite a "lifetime" of experience here, LOL, but same overall advice - lock up the easy targets such as electronics and lock the rig when you are away from it. We stayed in a campground in Niagara Falls Canada last year that warned campers to lock up their bikes - apparently they have some local problems with that - only time we've ever run into something like that.

We never had a problem either but we put things away when we left camp, winged thieves were a bigger threat. RV's are not particularly secure at the best of times, you can add locks and chains to deter theft but if they want it badly enough they will get it and inflict more damage. Keep your insurance up, exercise due diligence and enjoy yourselves.

High value items should be locked and chained - bikes, generators, satellite dishes, solar setups. Easy to access items (ice chests, especially with beer!) should be moved to vehicle or in camper if possible. Since we camp in bear country a lot, we never leave grills or food containers out; it is just a good habit to get into. We leave chairs, folding tables, etc out, just tuck them next to the camper. In 40+ years of camping we have never had anything stolen.

In eight years of full-timing, I have left chairs, hoses, and other assorted things out during the day and even night, even when I drive out in my motorhome to make trips to the store or sightseeing.  Nothing has ever been stolen, although once a young man grabbed my water hose and ran after me to the dump station because he thought I had forgotten it.  (I do lock up my electric bike, however.)

And I often go for a walk or to the laundromat without even locking the door to my rig. 

I did have fun one whole day watching a chipmonk make dozens of trips across the campground road stealing dog food from one of those huge bags someone had left next to their camper.  Stocking his winter larder, I suspect, and he did a pretty good job of it.  Also, some tenters next door had a raccoon steal some hamburger they had left overnight in a non-locking cooler.  Oh, and another neighbor once had a crow steal an energy bar from his bike bag he had left slightly unzipped. (Crows and raccoons are very good at opening things, by the way.  A raccoon tried to move into one of my lower unlatched storage areas once and tore up half a roll of paper towel, so I do recommend keeping those latched.)

That's about it, and I thoroughly agree that at least state and national parks are about the safest places you can be. 

In general, raccoons are the worst. Don't leave food out and understand they can open coolers. Kids once took my cooler with beer in it. I found it not too far away. They didn't take the food. LOL, but seriously... its not a good idea to leave a cooler out.

In bear country you absolutely do not want to leave a cooler out or any food out whatsoever but especially in your tent. I personally would not sleep in a tent in bear country. If you do, wrap fishing line around your area with bells and keep your shotgun handy with bear slugs because you're probably going to need it. In bear country stay in a hard shell RV and shut your door.

Other than that, I think you will find most RV campsites are really secure. You will meet the nicest people in the world. I do have two 10' cords I use to lock up my bikes if we leave them behind.

I did have a car alarm installed which was pretty cheap because it's just a Ford E350 but I really just wanted keyless entry. Locking your doors is just common sense.

I've been on this forum for several years, and been through this conversation before.  I'm apparently the only one that's lost anything of great value in a campsite. 
Our Jeep was stolen from a National Park campground on the Natchez Trace Parkway in Mississippi.
It was a one time deal, and the thieves were actually on the run from a murder charge in another state.  Good thing we had locked the RV door when we went to bed, as my wife was awakened at like 3am hearing someone trying to get into the RV.
The Jeep was actually recovered from another campground 300 miles further up the Trace, near Nashville.  We made a slight detour on our way home from Florida to pick it up and insurance paid for all the repairs/replacement of stuff that was missing.

As far as anything else, never had a lawn chair, a cooler, a BBQ ,or a generator go missing.  Did have a half loaf of bread stolen off the picnic table by a raccoon...while my wife was seated at said table, facing the other direction.

I am with the others about campgrounds being generally safe. However I do lock up all high dollar stuff like bikes, motorcycle trailer etc.

For the door, if you are concerned, you might consider a portable audible alarm. The population density is high enough that any casual thief will probably be scared off.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078B7LBSG?pd_rd_i=B078B7LBSG&pd_rd_w=zd3Wo&pf_rd_p=51cf0d17-50cf-4c89-b1a7-606703cfac11&pd_rd_wg=PvKkN&pf_rd_r=68WCRYBFRMGN42XN52EJ&pd_rd_r=5b2b3b44-f0e5-4d2a-a542-61adfe47035b

Ok so now I need to know about insurance. I have a 2012 and it is paid for so do I call my auto insurance, I have AAA or is there something just for RV's. Our trailer is a bit of a money pit right now. We had to widen our driveway, buy a new truck, weight distribution bar, water filter, surge protector, generator..... :) We laughed today when we passed Walmart. I said, wow! after spending this money we can spend  the night here at Walmart. :)

stanczak said:
Ok so now I need to know about insurance. I have a 2012 and it is paid for so do I call my auto insurance, I have AAA or is there something just for RV's. Our trailer is a bit of a money pit right now. We had to widen our driveway, buy a new truck, weight distribution bar, water filter, surge protector, generator..... :) We laughed today when we passed Walmart. I said, wow! after spending this money we can spend  the night here at Walmart. :)

I added my RV to my GEICO insurance. GEICO has some "special" features for full coverage. For example they offer towing to the nearest "suitable" repair facility regardless of distance.

I dropped AAA as I found that GEICO offered all the same stuff - lockout, jump start, gas delivery etc.  AAA only covers the "member" - GEICO covers the car so anyone driving my vehicles gets the service.

Ditto on Geico. Their rates are pretty good on RVs and motorcycles.

Well on one of my first Camping trips (my daughter, who is now a mother times 2, was still in diapers back then) we lost our breakfast. also lunch and supper.. (They stole a cooler) only time I've been ripped off.

Some possible confusion here re coverage.  The vehicle is covered for liability, collision and comprehensive. If somebody else drives or pulls the RV, it is still covered by the insurance.  What may be limited to a member only is ancillary services such as roadside assistance, e.g. tire changes, battery boost, breakdown towing, etc.  Those services may be separate, as in a Roadside Assist policy, or bundled in with the liability & collision/comp. In any case, make sure you learn about who is covered before you need it.
Most states distinguish between insured and uninsured drivers for purposes of liability coverage, but that's a legal distinction rather than whether or not there is coverage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom