same day resevervations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daves

when we travel now, we fly by the seat of our pants. We generally don't know where we're going to be at the end of the day.  We have a habit of stopping to admire the thing of beauty that have been put in front of us. While we are heading in a general direction, we never know what adventure is around the next bend. 

How hard is it to get site reservations with an hour or so notice? 

How long is a piece of string? It depends on where you are, what season/date/holiday, what activities are in the area at that time, and how many nights you want to spend? There are places and times when you can even just drop in, more where you can call a couple of hours in advance and get a reservation, and many where you may need a day, a week, or more lead time.

There's just not a simple answer. So if you can be more specific about where (at least what general area, i.e. South Florida) and when (at least the month and whether it's near a holiday or on a weekend, i.e. late October), then you might get something in the way of an answer.

It is a lot easier on weekdays then weekends where I live.  Keep in mind, fall break for many kids equals families in the parks.

We usually do the same out West with no problem as long as you are flexible. Haven't been able to travel this year but heard it was wild due to virus and fires a lot of places shut so spaces severely restricted.

We will be taking off in April and heading to Portland for a high school graduation.  We are looking to spend time along the way in southern Utah and working our way from there. Debating right now on running into Alaska then heading across the northern states.

Do you need full hookups or do you prefer a state park??  Many of us like different things.  For example, all I care about is an electric hookup, quiet, some scenery, Verizon access, and privacy, so I like state parks.  Others require full hookups, pools, and free internet access. 

So, give us some more information on what you need and want.

Southern Utah has a lot of big national parks that are a must if you have never seen them:  Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Arches, Lake Powell, etc.  And just over the border into Arizona is Grand Canyon.  However, it is going to be really hard to get into any of these, even in April.  Not sure where you will find to stay at an hour's notice.  I have met several couples this fall who were used to doing that and found it extremely difficult with everyone camping these days.

JudyJB said:
Southern Utah has a lot of big national parks that are a must if you have never seen them:  Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Arches, Lake Powell, etc.  And just over the border into Arizona is Grand Canyon.  However, it is going to be really hard to get into any of these, even in April.  Not sure where you will find to stay at an hour's notice.  I have met several couples this fall who were used to doing that and found it extremely difficult with everyone camping these days.
April is prime time in southern Utah, and the low elevation parks (Zion, Lake Powell, etc.) are generally stuffed full. Bryce is still pretty cold at night, but it will be pretty full too. If you want the popular parks that time of year, early reservations are essential. Our approach to travel is to make reservations for the destinations but then free form the travel to and from. Then again, we are comfortable dry camping/boondocking for days at a time which makes a site easier to find.

Back
Top Bottom