Towing Capability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BarbinMD

Hello, We are looking to purchase our first camping trailer and are confused when trying to figure out towing capabilities of our truck---along with being confused about a lot of other things. We will be purchasing a smaller trailer due to limited driveway space. We will be pulling it with a 2020 Ford Ranger. I'm going to attach a photo from the door post of the truck. For those of you who have a clue on how to calculate, can you tell me if it will be a problem to pull either of the trailers below?

We are open to suggestions and opinions on these two trailers as well. We are looking at the 2021 Keystone Springfield 1740RK and the 2021 COLEMAN COLEMAN LIGHT 1805RB. We need to stay under or as close to 22' as possible---again driveway space. It's only my husband and I, but we would like the bump out for added space. We prefer a bed style where we don't have to crawl over each other---we are getting old.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Attachments

• Ford Ranger.jpg
    Ford Ranger.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 42
I think you need to take a picture of the yellow sticker on the door jam driver's side to get accurate help.
TonyL

The yellow sticker gives the Cargo Capacity, which relates to the ability to carry passengers and the weight of the hitch & trailer tongue.  That's one very significant part of the assessment. The other is the trucks Max Tow Rating and GCWR, neither of which is conveniently displayed for the driver. Per the Ford Towing Guide, Rangers are rated for either 3500 lb, or 7500 lbs with the Trailer Towing Package.  Compare that to the GVWR of the trailers you are considering.  The trailer GVWR should be no more than about 80 of the Max Tow Rating, thus leaving some capaicty for passengers and gear in the truck.

To obtain the specific Tow Rating info, we need more details on the Ranger model so it can be looked-up in the Ford Towing Guide. Need model year (looks to be 2020), cab style (supercab or crew), whether it is 4WD, and whether it has the aforementioned Trailer Tow Package.  Also need the Ranger's GCWR, but I don't know where to find that - maybe a sticker in the glove box? Hopefully another Ford owner can help locate that for you.

Here's the Ford Towing Guide for 2020 where the Ranger is covered on pg 33:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/dam/aem_fleet/en_us/fleet/towing-guides/2020_Ford_RVandTrailerTowingGuide.pdf

Thank you, Gary. Our truck did come equipped with the towing package and it is a 2020. It is a supercab 4x2. The sticker states the combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1817 lbs.

If I read correctly, your Ranger looks like it can tow 7500#.  and honestly your carry capacity at 1817 is impressive.  In theory, you can pull either Trailer, both dry are under 5k so loaded around 6k.  I just don't have the experience to say if the Ranger plays nicely when you get that big box on the open road with frontal wind and side winds.  On paper, and many people do just that, it seems ok.  If I were you, first off congrats on not listening to a RV salesperson, they are not good sources of info.  But if I were you, I'd also join a Ford Forum and ask the questions under the Ranger section.  You will get way more specific user experience feedback.  Good luck.

Thank you, SpencerPJ. That is reassuring. And, what a great idea on the Ford Forum.  I'll check that out right now to see what I can find.

SpencerPJ said:
If I read correctly, your Ranger looks like it can tow 7500#.  and honestly your carry capacity at 1817 is impressive.  In theory, you can pull either Trailer, both dry are under 5k so loaded around 6k.  I just don't have the experience to say if the Ranger plays nicely when you get that big box on the open road with frontal wind and side winds.  On paper, and many people do just that, it seems ok.  If I were you, first off congrats on not listening to a RV salesperson, they are not good sources of info.  But if I were you, I'd also join a Ford Forum and ask the questions under the Ranger section.  You will get way more specific user experience feedback.  Good luck.

I agree 100% that 1800 lb pay is very impressive but when the surface area of the trailer gets too big you want a solid tow vehicle foot print on the ground. That Ranger being a smaller vehicle with a shorter and narrower wheel base i would suggest would work really well with some of the more aero dynamic trailers as opposed to the traditional loaf of bread style box on wheels. But good luck you have a solid little truck for sure

Rather than yes no, here is how the numbers work.
The 1800# payload is impressive.  The 4X2 and supercab both help, and I suspect is is not heavily optioned, keeping the curb wt low.  This is why the yellow placard is so important.

When discussing the TT,  ALWAYS use the GVWR as your weight estimate.  Camper creep will bring you up to and above that number if you are not really careful.  Your hitch wt MUST be at least 10% of actual TT wt (Use GVWR and be safe.) or the tail will wag the dog.  The trailer towing manners will be horrible.  Expect a hitch wt of 700# - 800#

That leaves 1000# for the weight of all passengers, tools, firewood, purses, toys, etc. carried in the truck.

The GCWR is the combined weight of the fully loaded TT and truck.  Note that the hitch wt is part of the TT wt and is included in the fully loaded, hitched up truck wt.  If you are estimating GCWR, do not count hitch wt twice.

As others have said, you should be good and thanks for asking.
;D I had a Ranger SuperCab 4X2.  Pulling a U Haul felt like towing a parachute, and the gas gauge agreed.  However, that was a '86 Ranger back in 1988.  :)  Doubt it has much relevance today  8)

Back
Top Bottom