Sightseer leak fitting under kitchen sink

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkrenfro

We have a slight leak at the cold water fitting under the kitchen sink, we can't get to it easy. Do we need to take the faucet off, the sink out or what?

Hard to guess, since we cannot see what you have or need to work around.  Maybe a photo would give us some clues?

If you can't get at the water line to repair it, I'm dubious that you can get the faucet out either. Or the sink, for that matter. Both usually require access to the underside.  You may just have to struggle through it, or maybe get help from someone smaller or more limber than you.

Can you reach up in and try tightening the nut on the end of the pipe just a touch using only your hands. Do not use a wrench. If you can get it apart, look inside the nut on the outside of the pipe and you may see a rubber gasket. When it?s new, it is tapered on the outside surface which goes up into the sink firing which makes the seal. If you get the old gasket out, it won?t look tapered at all because it?s been compressed for years. Go to a RV store and gets some new ones. Get a few spares for a ?just in case? day comes along.

On one of my trailers I changed out the faucets, and the plastic connectors had wings, (for lack of a better word) on them that you tighten by hand. I was amazed, but they never leaked.
Can you feel any thing like that ? If so just try turning it clock-wise a bit.

Jack L

For those hard to get nuts up behind the sink a basin wrench will make east work out of it.

RVfixer said:
For those hard to get nuts up behind the sink a basin wrench will make east work out of it.

I agree with the basin wrench but if the person doesn?t know what they are doing they will create allot more problems that?s why I said do not use any wrenches to snug up the nut

I can almost envision what they have. I had a leak back there once and had to become a contortionist to tighten it. It probably took me an hour just to plan my strategy. I also tied a string to the wrench incase I dropped it.

skydivemark said:
I can almost envision what they have. I had a leak back there once and had to become a contortionist to tighten it. It probably took me an hour just to plan my strategy. I also tied a string to the wrench incase I dropped it.

Never had a sink problem.  Well.. yet.  ;D

Slide Problem, yes. Sink leak, no. Roof Leak, Yes.   

We are pretty green / new to the "RV Game? ourselves.

The way these things bang around the potholes of this Great land we all share, ..

I know without a doubt it is prolly going to happen, prolly sooner, than later.  ;)

When my slide "Cratered" on me awhile back, My initial thought.. assessing and eyeballing things was immediate same as the Skydiver.

Winnebago built it to be assembled at the Factory, let the other guy figure out that "Special Trick" to get at the motor and the delicate looking wiring harness in that Narrow Slide Channeling that maybe was 7/8" viewable for that microsecond you could get the rubber gasket pried open to look at before the pry tool lost the bite it had on it . 

The Prime suspect was obvious.  Common sense says ZERO in on those Flimsy Looking and that Cheap Plastic Wiring Bundle Connector that I could barely see for that split second getting the view over and over again.  I was in a uncomfortable position and my neck hurt being kind of bent peering at the channeling one hand on the Cell Phone aiming the flash light beam the other forcing the rubber channeling back but I had that GUT feeling that was the problem. 

It was.

I paid to have it repaired.  ;D 

Just, trying to keep it real here on the boards.  ;D

JD

Back
Top Bottom