Travel Trailer insurance CLAIM experience --- trying to select insurer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Petit Lapin

This forum has been a wonderful source of information about companies that provide collision and comprehensive insurance on travel trailers.  I've now compiled a list of companies from which to request quotes.

However, the amount of our annual premium, while important to us, is not as critical as claim handling and responsiveness .  Would you share your experience with your insurer's claim handling processes?

Thank you for any input!

E. Graham in the San Francisco Bay area

I'm probably in the minority here insuring both our current and prior coach with State Farm. The only claim I had on the prior coach was handled promptly and efficiently with no hassle. We have our cars insured with State Farm also and have had similarly prompt and efficient claim handling. The combination of multi-vehicle, loyalty and good driver discounts are sufficient for me not to go looking for the cheapest deal. Like you, I prefer to be insured with a company I've had good experience with.

We too live in the grater Bay area.

Our only major claim was when we were with Progressive and it was handled to our satisfaction.  Other than taking longer than we liked (the adjuster had to come from LA to Barstow so it took a week to settle) we were quite pleased to receive more than the NADA average retail for our totaled truck.

Our only other claims were for glass replacement which are normally automatic with any insurance company.

Ned said:
Our only other claims were for glass replacement which are normally automatic with any insurance company.

Didn't think of the significance until reading your post Ned. The only claim we had on our prior coach was glass. In addition to a damaged windshield, someone broke a large window to get into the coach while it was in storage. State Farm took care of both at the same time. No adjuster involved.

Thanks to both of you for your responses.  Our challenge is that we have auto, home, and umbrella insurance with Amica and do not want to switch to another auto insurer.  Hence, State Farm isn't an option for us.  We are researching companies that provide full replacement cost (Good Sam , Progressive, Gilbert) for collision and comprehensive insurance on travel trailers, and will allow us to forgo the liability insurance.

It is good to hear about your experience with Progressive. 

Do you think I should post this in a different (i.e. not "Newcomers' Corner) forum on this site, to expand the possible range of responses?  If so, which one?  I have some time before I need to make a decision about insurers.

Cheers,
E. Graham

If you don't want to entertain a different insurance carrier, then others experience is of little value.  Any company that insures RVs will sell you a policy and as long as you comply with their requirements, you should have no problems with claims.

Newt is correct in that the staff for sure, and most regular contributors have seen your message and there is no need to duplicate it in another section.

Not overlooking. Not of much help. You're not changing.

Had State Farm for 25 years on everything, including the motorhome. Claims handling has been excellent, including on the motorhome. Price is low.

Motorhome is full replacement cost. Same on cars.

Ray D  ;D

I have insurance on my class C and park trailer through Erie.  Competive pricing and great support during claims...

Same as Ray D and Tom  State Farm here for over 50years  Treat us right and decent rates.

Petit Lapin said:
Do you think I should post this in a different (i.e. not "Newcomers' Corner) forum on this site, to expand the possible range of responses?  If so, which one?  I have some time before I need to make a decision about insurers.

Don't worry.  If one of the staffers here, or Tom the boss, decides you could get a better response elsewhere, we would simply move the whole topic.  Do it all the time.  No problemo. 

Thank you. 

I should explain that we chose Amica because of their rating in claim servicing but were happy to find that they were also the lowest premium for us in our location and with our needs.

Unfortunately, Amica doesn't do full replacement insurance.  I've learned that travel trailers, because they require only collision and comprehensive insurance, are best insured by a company that specializes in RVs.  Hence my questions.

I appreciate your feedback.

Cheers,
E.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom