KOFA 2021

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin Means

Site Team
It's that time of year again and I've been getting questions about KOFA dates. We're planning to get there on Friday January 22nd, and we usually stay for 10 to 14 days. For those who have never been there, it's a circle-the-wagons, do your own thing type get-together. Plenty of room to park near, or away from others, with beautiful scenery. All are welcome. If you can't make this one, we'll go again sometime in February.

Kev

Attachments

• 361992D8-0397-4351-891B-17EC2C6191F3.jpeg
    361992D8-0397-4351-891B-17EC2C6191F3.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 6282CCDA-7B43-4CAD-80BB-30C1C8C2ECAC.jpeg
    6282CCDA-7B43-4CAD-80BB-30C1C8C2ECAC.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 5F8932E6-D2D7-48DC-8EC7-5721ADFB8F07.jpeg
    5F8932E6-D2D7-48DC-8EC7-5721ADFB8F07.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 65
  • A91C43D2-150F-4781-872C-94C4BC9094FF.jpeg
    A91C43D2-150F-4781-872C-94C4BC9094FF.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 68
Naw... we thought about it, and were planning on it, but I decided that we're not quite far enough along with a solution to this Wuhan virus to sit in a tent all day. I'd rather sip on a beverage with friends at KOFA, and watch Gary test his newest fire-starter material. His last attempt wouldn't burn at all. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. We sure hope you and Kevin can make it.

Kev

We will be there toward the latter part, depending on when (if) we get to Arizona from Iowa. I like to spend 2 weeks at Quartzsite, fill up and empty as appropriate, then head to Kofa before coming back to Q for a while to handle the tanks again.

The views including the night sky are spectacular. The hikes into the desert foot hills are fun. All so relaxing. But it's the camaraderie that seals the deal. Still dazed from the loss of Jeff just days after we were together.

We are still undecided about making the trip Southwest this winter. Not so much worried about the China Virus but after a month of boondocking we enjoy time and friends at a Yuma RV resort. The activities will be so stifled with distancing rules. And many of our Canadian friends won't be able to cross the border.

Yippee.  I'll be there.  I plan on being at Q ~Jan. 16, when show starts -- and will come to the Forum Rally site.  I'm assuming someone else will be there. 

Anyone "organizing" a Forum rally for 2021? 

Will head to KOFA ~Jan 22 and hang there till ? and then return to Q where I'll stay till ~Feb 24.  I have reservation for Death Valley (cancelled last year) beginning Feb. 27, 2021.  After March 13, I have no idea yet.

Hey Dan - I learned to make Biscuits and Gravy from an ole Kentucky boy that is pretty much like Bad Boy's.  Got the sausage in the freezer now.  So in case Bad Boy's is closed . . .I'll open Bad Girl's "Outdoors" eatery for a taste. ::)

Everyone COME to KOFA.  The experience is the best.  BTW - My avatar is a sunset pic at KOFA 2019.

Linda

We'll be in our spot in town on Dec. 1st(Park Place out on Riggles Ave).  Drive-by's of both KOFA and the normal rally site are planned.
Hoping for a Jeep trip or two at the same time.

Dreamsend said:
Yippee.  I'll be there.  I plan on being at Q ~Jan. 16, when show starts -- and will come to the Forum Rally site.  I'm assuming someone else will be there. 

Anyone "organizing" a Forum rally for 2021? 

Will head to KOFA ~Jan 22 and hang there till ? and then return to Q where I'll stay till ~Feb 24.  I have reservation for Death Valley (cancelled last year) beginning Feb. 27, 2021.  After March 13, I have no idea yet.

Hey Dan - I learned to make Biscuits and Gravy from an ole Kentucky boy that is pretty much like Bad Boy's.  Got the sausage in the freezer now.  So in case Bad Boy's is closed . . .I'll open Bad Girl's "Outdoors" eatery for a taste. ::)

Everyone COME to KOFA.  The experience is the best.  BTW - My avatar is a sunset pic at KOFA 2019.

Linda
Where will you be staying in Death Valley? We will probably head there after KOFA, but we will stay in Sunset campground. We really missed the (cancelled) 49ers Encampment at DEVA, so we need to get our fix. Note that Sunset is a no reservation campground with central water and a dump station, and it always has sites available if you want to extend your Death Valley experience. It is tied with Yellowstone for my favorite National Park.

Greetings Pam and Kevin

My reservation is for Furnace Creek, for 2 weeks in a dry camping spot.  What a great idea to extend my stay by moving to Sunset.  I knew that 2 weeks would barely scratch the surface - it's a huge place with so much to see. Other option would be to leave Q a week or so earlier in February (where I would head back to after KOFA) and head for Sunset before moving to Furnace Creek. 

Many thanks for this suggestion.  Two heads better than, etc. :D

Linda

nibroc said:
what does kofa stand for?
In particular it is a National Wildlife Refuge between Quartzsite and Yuma. Huge! Named after the King of Arizona mining district but now more than that. Kevin Means invites forum members down to a dispersed camping area just outside the area itself, but on King Rd.

Linda,, My wife also makes a killer B&G plate,, I have been spoiled when at Quartzsite at Bad Boys.. I also really liked the atmosphere of the place, no problem with sippin and spinnin for a while after you have eaten...>>>Dan

We arttended Quartzite rally a few years back when we were full timers in a motor home but never went to KOFA.  We only have a trailer now with no generator or solar so we will only be able to stay 2 or 3 days if we come.  Are there directions to the camp spot?

Hi Jomo. Sorry, I should have posted that info. Here are the directions...

If you're coming from the north (Quartzsite) go south on Hwy 95 about 28 miles until you get to "Stone Cabin." At Stone Cabin, turn left (east) onto a dirt road called Kings Rd. The GPS coordinates for the Kings Rd turnoff are N 033.26631  W 114.23954. There's a Border Patrol checkpoint for northbound traffic at Stone Cabin. If you're going southbound and you pass the checkpoint, you've gone too far.

If you're coming from the south (Yuma) go north on Hwy 95 about 50 miles. After passing through the Border Patrol checkpoint at Stone Cabin, go about 1/8 of a mile and turn right (east) onto Kings Rd. If you're driving a big rig, the right turn onto King's Rd is not doable without going wide and crossing into the oncoming traffic lane of Hwy 95. Kings Rd exits Hwy 95 at more than a 90 degree angle, so it's a pretty sharp turn for northbound traffic.

There's a dirt lot on the east side of Hwy 95 just before you get to Kings Rd, and you can pull off into that lot, drive about 100 yards, and it'll dump you onto Kings Rd. That's what I do. We usually camp on the north side of Kings Rd, a little more than a mile east of Hw 95, but we won't know for sure until we get there.

We were returning from a meeting south of Tucson a few days ago, and decided to stop in KOFA for a couple of nights. There were hardly any other RVs in sight, and as usual, it was beautiful. The low temps in January are usually in the low to mid 40s, and the highs are usually 65 to 75. It sometimes dips below freezing at night, but not very often.

These pics are from a couple days ago. Hope to see you there.

Kev
(By the way... the name of our new Australian Cattle dog in the last picture is KOFA. And yes, to everyone who knows Sheila, we still have her. :D)

Attachments

• Campsite Drone View.jpg
    Campsite Drone View.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 71
  • KOFA Campsite 2.jpg
    KOFA Campsite 2.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 64
  • KOFA Campsite 3.jpg
    KOFA Campsite 3.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 66
  • KOFA Campsite 4.jpg
    KOFA Campsite 4.jpg