House batteries on 2015 Thor Tuscany AX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fpietro

Iam new to the rv world so bare with me if i ask a stupid question.  I have two sets of batteries, one set on the drivers side the others on the passenger side next to the inverter.  Which sets of batteries are the house batteries?  When i attempt to use my inverter it shows low batteries, so iam hoping just changing the batteries will solve the problem. Thanks for the help.

I'm not familiar with your coach and location doesn't mean anything.  The best & eaiest wy to determine that is with  voltmeter - even one of the $5 models from Harbor Freight is good enough for most things and every RVers should have one for checking out the inevitable 12v problems.

With 4 batteries it would be logical to gang them 3 house and 1 chassis.

First of all are you sure they are all 12V and that there isn't a 5th battery somewhere for the chassis?

Regardless of that the house batteries will have the positive cables run from one battery to the next in "parallel" - basically each battery that has 2 positive cables on it is likely a part of the house battery system.

One battery may be a different size/rating and is wired up to start the vehicle so likely has one positive and one negative cable.

It would be pretty rare to have doubled up chassis batteries but anything is possible.

They may wall all be house batteries and a 3rd, Single battery under the "hood" somewhere (on my workhorse it's behind the right front tire.
With the inverter if it was added post-purchase they may have doubled up on the batteries.

However..  Lift the most negative lead off the batteries near the inverter.  Clean the terminal and then do the same with all the other terminals. re-attach the others but leave the most negative off. What do I mean by most negative?

if you have a pair of six volt batteries like this.

- {Bat}+t-{ery}+  the most negative is the one net to the "B"
if you have 12 volt pairs
-{battery}+
-{battery}+

It is the wire that goes to who knows where (not the other battery)

At this point I do not think the inverter will work.. but it might WILL the house lights?  If so then do then leave the negative lead disconnected. and do the same procedure on the other side.

Do the house lights still work?  (should be no for sure now) same for the inverter.
Now try to start the engine. IF varoom you have one more battery to find.
Now hook 'em all back up as they were. and charge... (Easiest way is to plug in)

NOTE engine normally charges batteries ONLY if they are connected for use

Sometimes when adding batteries to power an inverter (Most RV's do not come with enough for an inverter they put 'em on the other side so as to balance the weight.  I did not. I was  already heavy on the other side.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom