Texas Hill Country Get Away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
X

X-Roughneck

Hey Ya'LL as a Texan and new to RVn I have my eye on a spot down near the Fredericksburg, Marble Falls, Buchanan Dam? 

I am looking for any camping Spots, that you can see water from.  State campgrounds Yea anything someone may have eXperienced. 

The Entire Area from Johnson City, TX on Highway 290, over to Fredricksburg is nothing but Wineries.  Check it out Ya"LL and let me know.

I have not looked but I bet there has to be some "Harvest Host" stuff going on.  Never tried HH? Any good??

One place you can rent their Castle as a B&B stay. Beautiful area and so nice right now.  67F and a Beautiful sun.  This is the time of year I love TX.  Late October thru January. 

I have my eye also on "Llano State Park", Cabins on the River as I was pulling thru I think Highway 281 North Coming out of San Antonio the other day. 

I have seen alot of Texas roads and back roads, and my Father always Raved about this area, but never took me and my Brother as him and Mom took my older twins sisters to these parts, years earlier. 

Probably too traumatic to go back after taking 2 small kids to earlier.  As a adult, I get it now, Dad. (RIP)

Any Forum Member got some Hidden Gems / Locations in the Texas Hill Country they want to share?

JD

We lived in San Antonio our last six years in the military. Didn?t care much for SA but did like the Hill Country and Austin. Fredericksburg is a neat city. We have friends in Texas, Lubbock, and have been back for visits. Lubbock is not our idea of a vacation spot.

Oldgator73 said:
We lived in San Antonio our last six years in the military. Didn?t care much for SA but did like the Hill Country and Austin. Fredericksburg is a neat city. We have friends in Texas, Lubbock, and have been back for visits. Lubbock is not our idea of a vacation spot.

Gator I agree.  I just Punched the Quit Ticket after 10+ years Managing Networks / Encryption products for the Military at Fort Sam Houston downtown San Antonio. 

The Austin, to Kerrville, San Antonio to Junction, San Antonio North to Johnson City.  Draw one Circle on the Map around those cities and towns and you got potential for Winter Camping with GREAT Weather and beautiful Views.

Also I am looking Hard at Garner State Park out there by Uvalde as a maybe area. 

I need to check out RV Texas Ya?LL.  A Couple that does great YT video documenting camping within the Lone Star State to I think they have a web site?I bet I find what I am looking for there?Or I will email and ask them, why Not?

I am going to find me a Texas Hill Country spot with water, I hope.

I might even zero in on the TX state Parks in that area.  Llano state park looks good scoping it out from the Roadway.

For those thinking where to??.Right now, the Hill Country part of Texas it is so nice!!!!

The Hill Country will rarely catch a freeze, Lots of Beautiful Water opportunities in that Area.

For the RVrs who have a mental block on visiting Texas You are selling yourself out a bit short.  Picturesque, Old Oak Trees, Lots of Rivers and Lakes in the Texas Hill Country and Wineries. Lots of them!

I was like WOWed by the scale Large Tanks one winery had as we putted thru Old Fredericksburg.  Heavy Chezch and German Influence in this area.  Fredericksburg Peaches too!

I would say avoid this Part of Texas in the Summer!  Way Too Hot and Muggy unless you are in a good AC bubble! RVn in the dead of Summer here.  NO.

RVs with Thin walls and BLAST Furnace Heat are not a Combo that will Peg your Fun Meter!

Gator?.I DEFINITELY hear you on Lubbock area any time of year. Nothing but Cotton, Flatlands and Blowing Dust up there. 

Lubbock gets real Winter at 3200 ft above sea level up there in the Pan Handle of TX.  All about what elevation do you live here when it comes to how much winter, if any you are going to get. 

Everyplace shares the heat, but not the Winters of Texas.

I lived in Lubbock at 3200 ft  there once in 1983.  I was working Floors for Sitton Drilling Company, Flimsy Scope Up Triple.  We were Drilling a 10,000 ft Test hole for Nuclear Waste Dumping up by Pampa. 

That Flimsy Derrick, looked as cheaply made as these RVs do, LOL. 

I will share just to drive my point, I was not sure what was colder at the Time, Lubbock, Texas at 0 Degree F or My First Marriage?  We were dumb kids with a kid.  ;D  Lubbock?NOPE got that T-Shirt and wore it, threw it away cold and dirty as left over, Oil Field Trash.  Just like I so Proudly Am.

JD

You were asking about places on the water, I am not sure if you just want campgrounds or also full service RV parks, or exactly what you mean by on the water.  Either way check out Riverway RV park in Llano, surprisingly nice park for $17 per night (passport america single night 50% discount), it is at the top of a small hill with water access to the narrow lake / river near downtown LLano.  40 miles north of Frederickburg, so a bit north of the prime tourist area, but still an interesting area, and certainly within driving range of Fredericksburg.

Another not exactly waterfront, but water adjacent option is Ladybird Johnson park RV campground  on the south side of Fredericksburg, as there is a creek through the park, walking trail that goes along the creek. Though being a creek in the hill country amount of water may vary.

The hill country is beautiful but for 17 years the ex-wife and I camped on the Padre Island National Seashore and state parks 2-3 times a year. It was sparsely populated from Oct-March but nice temperatures next to the ocean.

Our 3 kids loved walking the beach finding seashells, playing in the sand dunes, and building sand castles. Rangers patrolled hourly and kept out the unsavory types and transients. Haven't been back in 20 years since moving away. Hope it hasn't gone downhill since then. 

Isaac-1 said:
You were asking about places on the water, I am not sure if you just want campgrounds or also full service RV parks, or exactly what you mean by on the water.  Either way check out Riverway RV park in Llano, surprisingly nice park for $17 per night (passport america single night 50% discount), it is at the top of a small hill with water access to the narrow lake / river near downtown LLano.  40 miles north of Frederickburg, so a bit north of the prime tourist area, but still an interesting area, and certainly within driving range of Fredericksburg.

Another not exactly waterfront, but water adjacent option is Ladybird Johnson park RV campground  on the south side of Fredericksburg, as there is a creek through the park, walking trail that goes along the creek. Though being a creek in the hill country amount of water may vary.

I would Like Electric and we can Wing the Rest of it. I will look at the tip for sure, thanks.  I should have clarified in the post. I am not into the boondocking idea right now, but I have already developed a dislike for Franchised Camp Grounds so I am slowly migrating that way.  Don't care for people really so I love the concept.  ;D Only Joking.  Love people, everybody.

Llano all a super pretty area. 

Hill Country is all at my back door here at the Launch Pad too. 

I know that there has to be some Gems down there.  Another place a bit further towards Austin is the Buchanan Lake, Inks Lake Area. 

There has to be some Great stuff there too I feel it just looking as the Body of Water is Big. 

I am going to try and keep this thread percolating and see if I can see what else falls from the Idea Tree.

For the DoD Able Crowd there  is a Nice JBSA Camp Ground, Boat Rental, Propane, FHU right there on Canyon Lake, North Side, Nice Grocery Store about 2 miles away. 

DoD Don't forget too if you want to stay in Downtown San Antonio, Ft Sam Houston Has a Excellent RV Park in the Shadow of the New Brooks Army Medical Center, all Pull thru, Full Hook Ups, Laundry $20 no tax per night. 

JD

TheBar said:
The hill country is beautiful but for 17 years the ex-wife and I camped on the Padre Island National Seashore and state parks 2-3 times a year. It was sparsely populated from Oct-March but nice temperatures next to the ocean.

Our 3 kids loved walking the beach finding seashells, playing in the sand dunes, and building sand castles. Rangers patrolled hourly and kept out the unsavory types and transients. Haven't been back in 20 years since moving away. Hope it hasn't gone downhill since then.

Cheers, My Friend.  I guess other than that RV couple that got shot last year I have not heard alot of anything bad down there in Padre. 

I do have interest in getting down there but that is a LONG Way.  It has my interest sparked for sure.  We will get there.  My Strategy is trying to each year dig into the places I see in Texas Park And Wildlife Magazine in the Winter. 

I got a bunch of old months back issues I did not throw out from when I subscribed and lived in San Antonio. 

Right now I think deer Hunting Season started or fixing to start and I don't want to be Out there out there in the bushes, so a Beach might be a Real Good Place...Maybe I should shift focus, LOL

JD

X-Roughneck said:
For the RVrs who have a mental block on visiting Texas You are selling yourself out a bit short.

Definitely. We have confirmed reservations for a number of TX State Parks this winter, including:

Mother Neff State Park
Blanco State Park
Goliad State Park & Historic Site
Lake Corpus Christi State Park
Brazos Bend State Park
South Toledo Bend State Park

Curious as to why water? Fishing, swimming, boating, or just the aesthetics?

The Texas Hill Country is the only area in Texas we really enjoyed and would like to go back to.  Enjoy!

We just got back(Thursday) from a short 3+ week trip down to San Antonio then down to the coast. Corpus Christi, Mustang Island State park, Port Aransas area. If you want water views look at Padre Island National Seashore, https://www.nps.gov/pais/index.htm
Just so you know you can't drive from north to south Padre Island on the island. You have to go back on the mainland and go south
Another State park is Goose Island.
On the way back we spent some time at The Vineyards at Fredricksburg RV Park. Many great things to see and do in the area.
Bill 

Also look at River Road between Canyon Lake and New Braunfels.  Lots of options right on the Guadalupe river.

jymbee said:
Definitely. We have confirmed reservations for a number of TX State Parks this winter, including:

Mother Neff State Park
Blanco State Park
Brazos Bend State Park

Jym Love the water.  Heard good things about Mother Neff.  Facilities new as they were rebuilt from the big Floods of 2013 Memorial Day Weekend, I think.  RV Texas Yall has a Great MN Video.

Blanco State Park Looks Very Promising...Nice area...My observation as we passed it from the roadway.  Very near LBJ park, The Graves are there by the River.

Gizmo.  Yea Agreed Brother. What is not to Like about the area?  Super Pretty.

I am going to find some places as this Hill Country will be a continual Winter Target Zone for fun...That and the Corpus Christi DoD, along with some day Padre Island. 

I want to go as I have never been that far down in Texas South to Padre.

If I find a Good Place...I will come back and add to it as the trips happen.

JD

WILDEBILL308 said:
We just got back(Thursday) from a short 3+ week trip down to San Antonio then down to the coast. Corpus Christi, Mustang Island State park, Port Aransas area. If you want water views look at Padre Island National Seashore, https://www.nps.gov/pais/index.htm
Just so you know you can't drive from north to south Padre Island on the island. You have to go back on the mainland and go south
Another State park is Goose Island.
On the way back we spent some time at The Vineyards at Fredericksburg RV Park. Many great things to see and do in the area.
Bill

I know some people who Leave their RV at Port Aransas and constantly return on the weekends out of San Antonio they love it so much.  I thought that area got hammered by Harvey and destroyed.  Has that All Come back?

Boomer...do love that Canyon Lake as we have stayed on the lake at JBSA Rec San Antonio.  I know there has to be alot of Potential all over that area...

JD

If you're looking at Garner, but find it's full (fairly normal, though with Covid, who knows), check out Parkview Riverside RV Park right across the river.  Awesome little park.  While you're there, check out the bat cave in Concan.  This is something you will always remember...10,000,000 (yep...10 million) Mexican Freetail bats coming out at dusk to feed.  It is pretty cool.

If you ever make it to the National Seashore I have some advice.

1. Watch the weather. We stayed at a nearby county RV park that had water and electric about once a week.
2. Know what times high and low tides occur. Drive the wet beach during low tides so you don't get stuck.
3. The road/beach along the water goes downhill fast after about 6 miles after the visitor center. 4 wheel only.
4. Bring a shovel to dig out your tires out and a bucket to pour seawater under your tires.

Why? I drove our 28' Class A too far down the beach close to sunset, tried to turn around, and of course got stuck. I wasn't sure the rangers patrolled that far down and wasn't sure when high tide was coming in. So instead of turning the Winnebago into a paddle boat the wife and I dug out with our hands and used the last of our drinking water wetting the sand so we could pull out of the hole. But hey, I love adventure or I wouldn't be stupid enough to test my limits. Maybe why that wife is now an ex. My 2nd wife doesn't let me get stupid.

The sand is hard pack all the way from the beach to the dunes for several miles past the visitor center so no worries about getting stuck close in.

jymbee said:

Mother Neff State Park
Blanco State Park
Brazos Bend State Park

Jymbee,

Are you coming down from NY to go to these places you listed above?  Sounds like a Epic Road Trip dude down here to TX!  I want to see the Big Niagara Falls up there in your neck of the woods, myself...

Just curious to how much of Texas you are familiar with?  There is another Place a CCC park over there by Houston Somewhere (close), "Magnolia Ridge"  I saw a You Tube on it. NICE!!!!  Water.  Cheap too.

Raven's Hill Loop at Huntsville State Park, Lots of Water.  Now that is a eXcellent Place!! I have been there/ Texas State Park North Houston Basically.  Near the Concrete Jungle in the northern Shadows of of the Big City.  If you got the time you might ought to throw a eye ball on those too. 

I have only seen Magnolia Ridge on YT...Gators there too.  Yea far South east Texas has Gators...They Creeped over from the swamp land next door in Louisiana/ Issac-1's stomping grounds. 

Probably more gators here now with all the constant slamming of LA with Hurricane's and bad weather slamming those poor folks over and over this year, so don't leave your pets out too close to the shore for a old Gator snack if you visit Magnolia Ridge, or so the story Goes.  ;D

Over there is east Texas is Also Davy Crockett National Forrest.  Part of the now mythical "Big Thicket"...Well, Big thicket was probably there before they built the 4th Largest City in the USA and Called it Houston.  That entire portion of far east Texas the Big Lob Lolli Pines, the Giant Pin Oak Trees.  Thick @ss humidity also in the summer so avoid unless you are a glutton for temperature Punishment! Beautiful area for sure, the edge of the Deep South all the way to Florida starts here.

JD

Isaac-1 said:

Ike, Brother,..

I am a little over a 100 miles from Llano, so I feel I am set for Cheap, as in, I can probably do most of these places on burning equivalent of a full 55 Gallon tank or less of Fuel total Round trip. 

I am stoked at the what I feel is Years worth of Great Camping Places right here at the edge of my Cold Crisp Desert.

I will take the back roads descending down into the Hill country as I am about 1800 Ft and San Antonio is elevation of 600 ft above Sea Level.  Where I live a Major Interstate is 100 miles from here, so when I Launch Eagle-1 and descend down into Texas I will probably see 30 Cars the entire Day on the Smooth as Glass Highway. 

Drifting Slightly: Standing and Clapping for the Texas Road Crews, Dudes out there putting their Lives on the Line Every Day with Traffic wizzing my them at Highway Speeds!!

Looks like we are going to top out at a beautiful 72F today 2 November with about 30% humidity.  Normal, for those of you wondering...Yea..It is GREAT to live here in the Winter! 

I like being out here with the, Free thinkers too, so peaceful.  ;) 

I lived in cities with over 18 Million so I got a-lot (Plural) of Global T-Shirts if you get my Drift?  Hard to be who you are not though.  Hill Country Texas...Yea...That is me.

Always makes me smile when I see the images in my mind of this entire area.

OH,.. how I hate the Rat Race Tracks of "Urban Jungles".

Summer, where I live is actually good too, as long as you are not outside and have the AC Cranked back in the House. 

Forget cranking the AC in a Motor Home!  You DO NOT want to put this on the Vacation Get away list anytime from 1 June - 1 Nov, Look elsewhere if you are planning a Great Escape for you and your Pack during those times.

You can thank me later.  :)

There is a place on Main Street in Llano.  Coopers Pit BBQ.  Made Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ Joints in Texas a Few Year back.  Kind of a salty rub but Good Que!!!!!! Texas BBQ.  Real BBQ for those who were wondering.

So for you Meat loving Carnivore fools like myself...You may want to bring you Hunger and check it out?  Coopers BBQ. Llano, TX. Can't put my BBQ Rep on the line...Word of Mouth only from me.

Tried their Outlet once in New Braunfels, it was pretty good.  Never tried the Llano store. 

Problem with BBQ now days is they want to Get Rich off one 12 LB Brisket.  Smoke them myself is my theory on how to get around that cost of eating meat candy. 

Just like RVn & BBQn there is a Trick to doing it right.

Got to Find the Guru of BBQ I did that.  I was Looking for the Guru on RVn.  I hit RV Equivalent of Lotto 777 when I stumbled upon this place.

Thanks Again to the Legends of RV the Real Deal HollyField RVrs. 

Gary the Wizard, Global Lou, Motor City John, The Up and Comers Henry Fates we are lucky enough to have here. 

I can't wait for a real good electrical problem with my RV and I am hoping Henry Fate is somewhere connected to the Internet that day.  I really do! 

Why, it is about knowing the Guy.  The Guy that has done it. 

Lots of people getting smarter thru shared eXperiences.  People can tell me the stove is Hot, but I like to talk to the guy that got burned by the heat. Then I might take his pain and edit that out and try my own theory on how to touch it without getting burned.  ;D 

Lot's of Rapidly Ascending people out there connected to the internet.  Peanut Gallery Players, you never know who is going to stumble in and take a Seat at the the old Gambling Table of Life..

At the, "RV, Drain your pocket Book Game".

I Love RV Forum! ;D

JD

Jymbee....

Probably not to late to walk up to that counter and buy that $70 buck TX park Discount Card, or call a park and ask about it before you come down. 

Think it is good for the year and will pay off, and save you some $$$.  I would for sure with 5 parks on the calendar.  Buy one and Get them to REcalculate and apply the discounts to your planned itinerary.

Cuts the day use fees and give you some discounts on stuff.  If you have 5 parks on the books you will probably come out the winner and save more than the cost of the Plastic Green Card at $70 cost upfront.

JD

Don't know about TX but as a not-yet-retiree I am enjoying the State Park grounds here in Ohio. The websites are very descriptive on what's there and the "experience" is very consistent with lay outs, rules and facilities. I am a "weekender" / "long weekender" right now and because the grounds are pretty big and often attached to lakes I can haul the boat and go fishing, go hiking and yada, yada.  Because I am short stay water and dumping are not critical but it's nice to have electric.

Many of them are connected to wildlife hunting grounds and we have plans to maybe hike out directly from the park in the near future or in spring.

For the 2-weeker vacations We'll go cross country and stay commercial.

Of course when I retire we plan a 6 month or so journey on a western loop and that will be largely commercial.  For now we are keeping it simple and repeatable.

JD, from the small world department we spent memorial day 2019 at Huntsville State Park Raven Hill campground (site 003), it was an overnight stop on the drive home from a week in the Hill Country, where we ate at Cooper's BBQ in Llano one day.  Huntsville state park on a holiday weekend was a fun experience, the place was packed, to the point where they had a police roadblock out turning away people who did not have a reservation, campground was filled with lots of first time tent campers trying to figure out how to assemble a tent, just a fun energetic vibe going on and we were the only motorhome there, everyone else was in trailers, 5th wheels or tents.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom