rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Texas Hill Country Get Away  (Read 1612 times)

X-Roughneck

Texas Hill Country Get Away
« on: November 01, 2020, 07:26:05 AM »
Hey Ya'LL as a Texan and new to RVn I have my eye on a spot down near the Fredericksburg, Marble Falls, Buchanan Dam? 

I am looking for any camping Spots, that you can see water from.  State campgrounds Yea anything someone may have eXperienced. 

The Entire Area from Johnson City, TX on Highway 290, over to Fredricksburg is nothing but Wineries.  Check it out Ya"LL and let me know.

I have not looked but I bet there has to be some "Harvest Host" stuff going on.  Never tried HH? Any good??

One place you can rent their Castle as a B&B stay. Beautiful area and so nice right now.  67F and a Beautiful sun.  This is the time of year I love TX.  Late October thru January.   

I have my eye also on "Llano State Park", Cabins on the River as I was pulling thru I think Highway 281 North Coming out of San Antonio the other day. 

I have seen alot of Texas roads and back roads, and my Father always Raved about this area, but never took me and my Brother as him and Mom took my older twins sisters to these parts, years earlier. 

Probably too traumatic to go back after taking 2 small kids to earlier.  As a adult, I get it now, Dad. (RIP)

Any Forum Member got some Hidden Gems / Locations in the Texas Hill Country they want to share?

JD

Oldgator73

• ---
Re: Texas Hill Country Get Away
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 08:22:26 AM »
We lived in San Antonio our last six years in the military. Didn’t care much for SA but did like the Hill Country and Austin. Fredericksburg is a neat city. We have friends in Texas, Lubbock, and have been back for visits. Lubbock is not our idea of a vacation spot.
Retired Air Force
Retired DoD Chief, Education & Training
2016 Winnie Drop
1952 Wife
Do you know the difference between Education and Training: Would you rather your daughter take sex Education or sex Training?

X-Roughneck

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 09:55:07 AM »
We lived in San Antonio our last six years in the military. Didn’t care much for SA but did like the Hill Country and Austin. Fredericksburg is a neat city. We have friends in Texas, Lubbock, and have been back for visits. Lubbock is not our idea of a vacation spot.

Gator I agree.  I just Punched the Quit Ticket after 10+ years Managing Networks / Encryption products for the Military at Fort Sam Houston downtown San Antonio. 

The Austin, to Kerrville, San Antonio to Junction, San Antonio North to Johnson City.  Draw one Circle on the Map around those cities and towns and you got potential for Winter Camping with GREAT Weather and beautiful Views.

Also I am looking Hard at Garner State Park out there by Uvalde as a maybe area. 

I need to check out RV Texas Ya’LL.  A Couple that does great YT video documenting camping within the Lone Star State to I think they have a web site…I bet I find what I am looking for there…Or I will email and ask them, why Not?

I am going to find me a Texas Hill Country spot with water, I hope.

I might even zero in on the TX state Parks in that area.   Llano state park looks good scoping it out from the Roadway.

For those thinking where to?….Right now, the Hill Country part of Texas it is so nice!!!!

The Hill Country will rarely catch a freeze, Lots of Beautiful Water opportunities in that Area.

For the RVrs who have a mental block on visiting Texas You are selling yourself out a bit short.  Picturesque, Old Oak Trees, Lots of Rivers and Lakes in the Texas Hill Country and Wineries. Lots of them!

I was like WOWed by the scale Large Tanks one winery had as we putted thru Old Fredericksburg.  Heavy Chezch and German Influence in this area.  Fredericksburg Peaches too!

I would say avoid this Part of Texas in the Summer!  Way Too Hot and Muggy unless you are in a good AC bubble! RVn in the dead of Summer here.  NO.

RVs with Thin walls and BLAST Furnace Heat are not a Combo that will Peg your Fun Meter!

Gator….I DEFINITELY hear you on Lubbock area any time of year. Nothing but Cotton, Flatlands and Blowing Dust up there. 

Lubbock gets real Winter at 3200 ft above sea level up there in the Pan Handle of TX.  All about what elevation do you live here when it comes to how much winter, if any you are going to get. 

Everyplace shares the heat, but not the Winters of Texas.

I lived in Lubbock at 3200 ft  there once in 1983.  I was working Floors for Sitton Drilling Company, Flimsy Scope Up Triple.  We were Drilling a 10,000 ft Test hole for Nuclear Waste Dumping up by Pampa. 

That Flimsy Derrick, looked as cheaply made as these RVs do, LOL. 

I will share just to drive my point, I was not sure what was colder at the Time, Lubbock, Texas at 0 Degree F or My First Marriage?  We were dumb kids with a kid.   ;D  Lubbock…NOPE got that T-Shirt and wore it, threw it away cold and dirty as left over, Oil Field Trash.  Just like I so Proudly Am.

JD

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 10:24:49 AM »
You were asking about places on the water, I am not sure if you just want campgrounds or also full service RV parks, or exactly what you mean by on the water.  Either way check out Riverway RV park in Llano, surprisingly nice park for $17 per night (passport america single night 50% discount), it is at the top of a small hill with water access to the narrow lake / river near downtown LLano.  40 miles north of Frederickburg, so a bit north of the prime tourist area, but still an interesting area, and certainly within driving range of Fredericksburg.

Another not exactly waterfront, but water adjacent option is Ladybird Johnson park RV campground  on the south side of Fredericksburg, as there is a creek through the park, walking trail that goes along the creek. Though being a creek in the hill country amount of water may vary.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

TheBar

• ---
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 11:23:52 AM »
The hill country is beautiful but for 17 years the ex-wife and I camped on the Padre Island National Seashore and state parks 2-3 times a year. It was sparsely populated from Oct-March but nice temperatures next to the ocean.

Our 3 kids loved walking the beach finding seashells, playing in the sand dunes, and building sand castles. Rangers patrolled hourly and kept out the unsavory types and transients. Haven't been back in 20 years since moving away. Hope it hasn't gone downhill since then. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 11:26:06 AM by TheBar »
Retired computer automation programmer
1997 30' Class C plus 2008 popup
DW loves camping more than I do!

X-Roughneck

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 01:21:34 PM »
You were asking about places on the water, I am not sure if you just want campgrounds or also full service RV parks, or exactly what you mean by on the water.  Either way check out Riverway RV park in Llano, surprisingly nice park for $17 per night (passport america single night 50% discount), it is at the top of a small hill with water access to the narrow lake / river near downtown LLano.  40 miles north of Frederickburg, so a bit north of the prime tourist area, but still an interesting area, and certainly within driving range of Fredericksburg.

Another not exactly waterfront, but water adjacent option is Ladybird Johnson park RV campground  on the south side of Fredericksburg, as there is a creek through the park, walking trail that goes along the creek. Though being a creek in the hill country amount of water may vary.

I would Like Electric and we can Wing the Rest of it. I will look at the tip for sure, thanks.   I should have clarified in the post. I am not into the boondocking idea right now, but I have already developed a dislike for Franchised Camp Grounds so I am slowly migrating that way.  Don't care for people really so I love the concept.  ;D Only Joking.  Love people, everybody.

Llano all a super pretty area. 

Hill Country is all at my back door here at the Launch Pad too. 

I know that there has to be some Gems down there.  Another place a bit further towards Austin is the Buchanan Lake, Inks Lake Area. 

There has to be some Great stuff there too I feel it just looking as the Body of Water is Big. 

I am going to try and keep this thread percolating and see if I can see what else falls from the Idea Tree.

For the DoD Able Crowd there  is a Nice JBSA Camp Ground, Boat Rental, Propane, FHU right there on Canyon Lake, North Side, Nice Grocery Store about 2 miles away. 

DoD Don't forget too if you want to stay in Downtown San Antonio, Ft Sam Houston Has a Excellent RV Park in the Shadow of the New Brooks Army Medical Center, all Pull thru, Full Hook Ups, Laundry $20 no tax per night.   

JD
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 01:30:09 PM by X-Roughneck »

X-Roughneck

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 01:36:49 PM »
The hill country is beautiful but for 17 years the ex-wife and I camped on the Padre Island National Seashore and state parks 2-3 times a year. It was sparsely populated from Oct-March but nice temperatures next to the ocean.

Our 3 kids loved walking the beach finding seashells, playing in the sand dunes, and building sand castles. Rangers patrolled hourly and kept out the unsavory types and transients. Haven't been back in 20 years since moving away. Hope it hasn't gone downhill since then.

Cheers, My Friend.  I guess other than that RV couple that got shot last year I have not heard alot of anything bad down there in Padre. 

I do have interest in getting down there but that is a LONG Way.   It has my interest sparked for sure.  We will get there.  My Strategy is trying to each year dig into the places I see in Texas Park And Wildlife Magazine in the Winter. 

I got a bunch of old months back issues I did not throw out from when I subscribed and lived in San Antonio. 

Right now I think deer Hunting Season started or fixing to start and I don't want to be Out there out there in the bushes, so a Beach might be a Real Good Place...Maybe I should shift focus, LOL

JD

jymbee

• ---
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 02:39:48 PM »

For the RVrs who have a mental block on visiting Texas You are selling yourself out a bit short.

Definitely. We have confirmed reservations for a number of TX State Parks this winter, including:

Mother Neff State Park
Blanco State Park
Goliad State Park & Historic Site
Lake Corpus Christi State Park
Brazos Bend State Park
South Toledo Bend State Park

Curious as to why water? Fishing, swimming, boating, or just the aesthetics?

Wandering in our 2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C Class A

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 02:50:34 PM »
The Texas Hill Country is the only area in Texas we really enjoyed and would like to go back to.  Enjoy!
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 03:15:18 PM »
We just got back(Thursday) from a short 3+ week trip down to San Antonio then down to the coast. Corpus Christi, Mustang Island State park, Port Aransas area. If you want water views look at Padre Island National Seashore, https://www.nps.gov/pais/index.htm
Just so you know you can't drive from north to south Padre Island on the island. You have to go back on the mainland and go south
Another State park is Goose Island.
On the way back we spent some time at The Vineyards at Fredricksburg RV Park. Many great things to see and do in the area.
Bill 
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP ISM Cummins
Allison 4000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

BoomerTX

• ---
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 07:16:12 PM »
Also look at River Road between Canyon Lake and New Braunfels.  Lots of options right on the Guadalupe river.

X-Roughneck

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2020, 09:21:29 PM »
Definitely. We have confirmed reservations for a number of TX State Parks this winter, including:

Mother Neff State Park
Blanco State Park
Brazos Bend State Park

Jym Love the water.  Heard good things about Mother Neff.  Facilities new as they were rebuilt from the big Floods of 2013 Memorial Day Weekend, I think.  RV Texas Yall has a Great MN Video.

Blanco State Park Looks Very Promising...Nice area...My observation as we passed it from the roadway.  Very near LBJ park, The Graves are there by the River.

Gizmo.  Yea Agreed Brother. What is not to Like about the area?  Super Pretty.

I am going to find some places as this Hill Country will be a continual Winter Target Zone for fun...That and the Corpus Christi DoD, along with some day Padre Island. 

I want to go as I have never been that far down in Texas South to Padre.

If I find a Good Place...I will come back and add to it as the trips happen.

JD

X-Roughneck

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2020, 09:26:06 PM »
We just got back(Thursday) from a short 3+ week trip down to San Antonio then down to the coast. Corpus Christi, Mustang Island State park, Port Aransas area. If you want water views look at Padre Island National Seashore, https://www.nps.gov/pais/index.htm
Just so you know you can't drive from north to south Padre Island on the island. You have to go back on the mainland and go south
Another State park is Goose Island.
On the way back we spent some time at The Vineyards at Fredericksburg RV Park. Many great things to see and do in the area.
Bill

I know some people who Leave their RV at Port Aransas and constantly return on the weekends out of San Antonio they love it so much.  I thought that area got hammered by Harvey and destroyed.  Has that All Come back?

Boomer...do love that Canyon Lake as we have stayed on the lake at JBSA Rec San Antonio.  I know there has to be alot of Potential all over that area...

JD
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 05:20:42 AM by X-Roughneck »

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2020, 09:43:48 PM »
If you're looking at Garner, but find it's full (fairly normal, though with Covid, who knows), check out Parkview Riverside RV Park right across the river.  Awesome little park.  While you're there, check out the bat cave in Concan.  This is something you will always remember...10,000,000 (yep...10 million) Mexican Freetail bats coming out at dusk to feed.  It is pretty cool.
Ed.....KF5INW
MSgt, USAF, Retired
2019 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

TheBar

• ---
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2020, 10:25:36 PM »
If you ever make it to the National Seashore I have some advice.

1. Watch the weather. We stayed at a nearby county RV park that had water and electric about once a week.
2. Know what times high and low tides occur. Drive the wet beach during low tides so you don't get stuck.
3. The road/beach along the water goes downhill fast after about 6 miles after the visitor center. 4 wheel only.
4. Bring a shovel to dig out your tires out and a bucket to pour seawater under your tires.

Why? I drove our 28' Class A too far down the beach close to sunset, tried to turn around, and of course got stuck. I wasn't sure the rangers patrolled that far down and wasn't sure when high tide was coming in. So instead of turning the Winnebago into a paddle boat the wife and I dug out with our hands and used the last of our drinking water wetting the sand so we could pull out of the hole. But hey, I love adventure or I wouldn't be stupid enough to test my limits. Maybe why that wife is now an ex. My 2nd wife doesn't let me get stupid.

The sand is hard pack all the way from the beach to the dunes for several miles past the visitor center so no worries about getting stuck close in.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 10:29:27 PM by TheBar »
Retired computer automation programmer
1997 30' Class C plus 2008 popup
DW loves camping more than I do!

X-Roughneck

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2020, 04:52:56 AM »

Mother Neff State Park
Blanco State Park
Brazos Bend State Park

Jymbee,

Are you coming down from NY to go to these places you listed above?  Sounds like a Epic Road Trip dude down here to TX!  I want to see the Big Niagara Falls up there in your neck of the woods, myself...

Just curious to how much of Texas you are familiar with?  There is another Place a CCC park over there by Houston Somewhere (close), "Magnolia Ridge"  I saw a You Tube on it. NICE!!!!  Water.  Cheap too.

Raven's Hill Loop at Huntsville State Park, Lots of Water.  Now that is a eXcellent Place!! I have been there/ Texas State Park North Houston Basically.  Near the Concrete Jungle in the northern Shadows of of the Big City.  If you got the time you might ought to throw a eye ball on those too. 

I have only seen Magnolia Ridge on YT...Gators there too.  Yea far South east Texas has Gators...They Creeped over from the swamp land next door in Louisiana/ Issac-1's stomping grounds. 

Probably more gators here now with all the constant slamming of LA with Hurricane's and bad weather slamming those poor folks over and over this year, so don't leave your pets out too close to the shore for a old Gator snack if you visit Magnolia Ridge, or so the story Goes.  ;D

Over there is east Texas is Also Davy Crockett National Forrest.  Part of the now mythical "Big Thicket"...Well, Big thicket was probably there before they built the 4th Largest City in the USA and Called it Houston.  That entire portion of far east Texas the Big Lob Lolli Pines, the Giant Pin Oak Trees.  Thick @ss humidity also in the summer so avoid unless you are a glutton for temperature Punishment! Beautiful area for sure, the edge of the Deep South all the way to Florida starts here.

JD

X-Roughneck

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2020, 05:01:04 AM »

Ike, Brother,..

I am a little over a 100 miles from Llano, so I feel I am set for Cheap, as in, I can probably do most of these places on burning equivalent of a full 55 Gallon tank or less of Fuel total Round trip.   

I am stoked at the what I feel is Years worth of Great Camping Places right here at the edge of my Cold Crisp Desert.

I will take the back roads descending down into the Hill country as I am about 1800 Ft and San Antonio is elevation of 600 ft above Sea Level.  Where I live a Major Interstate is 100 miles from here, so when I Launch Eagle-1 and descend down into Texas I will probably see 30 Cars the entire Day on the Smooth as Glass Highway. 

Drifting Slightly: Standing and Clapping for the Texas Road Crews, Dudes out there putting their Lives on the Line Every Day with Traffic wizzing my them at Highway Speeds!!

Looks like we are going to top out at a beautiful 72F today 2 November with about 30% humidity.  Normal, for those of you wondering...Yea..It is GREAT to live here in the Winter! 

I like being out here with the, Free thinkers too, so peaceful.  ;) 

I lived in cities with over 18 Million so I got a-lot (Plural) of Global T-Shirts if you get my Drift?  Hard to be who you are not though.  Hill Country Texas...Yea...That is me.

Always makes me smile when I see the images in my mind of this entire area.

OH,.. how I hate the Rat Race Tracks of "Urban Jungles".

Summer, where I live is actually good too, as long as you are not outside and have the AC Cranked back in the House. 

Forget cranking the AC in a Motor Home!  You DO NOT want to put this on the Vacation Get away list anytime from 1 June - 1 Nov, Look elsewhere if you are planning a Great Escape for you and your Pack during those times.

You can thank me later.   :)

There is a place on Main Street in Llano.  Coopers Pit BBQ.  Made Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ Joints in Texas a Few Year back.  Kind of a salty rub but Good Que!!!!!! Texas BBQ.  Real BBQ for those who were wondering.

So for you Meat loving Carnivore fools like myself...You may want to bring you Hunger and check it out?  Coopers BBQ. Llano, TX. Can't put my BBQ Rep on the line...Word of Mouth only from me.

Tried their Outlet once in New Braunfels, it was pretty good.  Never tried the Llano store. 

Problem with BBQ now days is they want to Get Rich off one 12 LB Brisket.  Smoke them myself is my theory on how to get around that cost of eating meat candy. 

Just like RVn & BBQn there is a Trick to doing it right.

Got to Find the Guru of BBQ I did that.  I was Looking for the Guru on RVn.  I hit RV Equivalent of Lotto 777 when I stumbled upon this place.

Thanks Again to the Legends of RV the Real Deal HollyField RVrs. 

Gary the Wizard, Global Lou, Motor City John, The Up and Comers Henry Fates we are lucky enough to have here. 

I can't wait for a real good electrical problem with my RV and I am hoping Henry Fate is somewhere connected to the Internet that day.  I really do! 

Why, it is about knowing the Guy.  The Guy that has done it. 

Lots of people getting smarter thru shared eXperiences.  People can tell me the stove is Hot, but I like to talk to the guy that got burned by the heat. Then I might take his pain and edit that out and try my own theory on how to touch it without getting burned.  ;D 

Lot's of Rapidly Ascending people out there connected to the internet.  Peanut Gallery Players, you never know who is going to stumble in and take a Seat at the the old Gambling Table of Life..

At the, "RV, Drain your pocket Book Game".

I Love RV Forum! ;D

JD
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 06:27:16 AM by X-Roughneck »

X-Roughneck

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2020, 05:14:34 AM »
Jymbee....

Probably not to late to walk up to that counter and buy that $70 buck TX park Discount Card, or call a park and ask about it before you come down. 

Think it is good for the year and will pay off, and save you some $$$.  I would for sure with 5 parks on the calendar.  Buy one and Get them to REcalculate and apply the discounts to your planned itinerary.

Cuts the day use fees and give you some discounts on stuff.  If you have 5 parks on the books you will probably come out the winner and save more than the cost of the Plastic Green Card at $70 cost upfront.

JD

Ex-Calif

• ---
  • Dan from Dayton...
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2020, 06:03:19 AM »
Don't know about TX but as a not-yet-retiree I am enjoying the State Park grounds here in Ohio. The websites are very descriptive on what's there and the "experience" is very consistent with lay outs, rules and facilities. I am a "weekender" / "long weekender" right now and because the grounds are pretty big and often attached to lakes I can haul the boat and go fishing, go hiking and yada, yada.  Because I am short stay water and dumping are not critical but it's nice to have electric.

Many of them are connected to wildlife hunting grounds and we have plans to maybe hike out directly from the park in the near future or in spring.

For the 2-weeker vacations We'll go cross country and stay commercial.

Of course when I retire we plan a 6 month or so journey on a western loop and that will be largely commercial.  For now we are keeping it simple and repeatable.
"Marvin" - 1997 Georgie Boy Pursuit 3150 - P30 Chev 454
Various classic MGBs
Ex-liveaboard boater - Class A newbie in sponge mode

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2020, 07:51:41 AM »
JD, from the small world department we spent memorial day 2019 at Huntsville State Park Raven Hill campground (site 003), it was an overnight stop on the drive home from a week in the Hill Country, where we ate at Cooper's BBQ in Llano one day.  Huntsville state park on a holiday weekend was a fun experience, the place was packed, to the point where they had a police roadblock out turning away people who did not have a reservation, campground was filled with lots of first time tent campers trying to figure out how to assemble a tent, just a fun energetic vibe going on and we were the only motorhome there, everyone else was in trailers, 5th wheels or tents.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

X-Roughneck

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2020, 08:00:53 AM »
JD, from the small world department we spent memorial day 2019 at Huntsville State Park Raven Hill campground (site 003), it was an overnight stop on the drive home from a week in the Hill Country, where we ate at Cooper's BBQ in Llano one day.  Huntsville state park on a holiday weekend was a fun experience, the place was packed, to the point where they had a police roadblock out turning away people who did not have a reservation, campground was filled with lots of first time tent campers trying to figure out how to assemble a tent, just a fun energetic vibe going on and we were the only motorhome there, everyone else was in trailers, 5th wheels or tents.

To Your Contrast January 2020 I was at Raven Hill.  Not sure what Number but the site was unlevel (Probably my most unlevel to date), but the Great View, who cared.  The way the Loop was positioned I bet 9" Low on both front and back axle passenger Side, but the camp host had a Great selection of Shim, 2x12, thinner stuff.  Great guy. Few minutes and had the House feeling Right to walk around and open doors. 

Nobody was there.  OK maybe 8 RV near us, and that place is BIG.  One guy had a Class A precariously hanging out there, Tires off the Ground from arrival until the time we left. Right next to me, LOL.

I will say I would not want to get chased by one of those Javelina or Ferrel Hogs they got out there.  I see the whole area is Rutted from their Snouts....Watch Out for those Mean Sons of Guns...Run Fast and Climb a Tree or have some lead in your pocket for them.

JD 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 08:04:20 AM by X-Roughneck »

Helmerb

• ---
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2020, 12:24:25 PM »
I agree with edjunior...check out Parkview Riverside in Concan, across the river from Garner State Park. We spent a couple of months there a few years ago. Check out the bat cave tour, climb Old Baldy, drive the Three Sisters, and to tubing in the Rio Frio. Good memories!
Bill and Cindy
2006 Winnebago 36SE

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2020, 01:38:15 PM »
Our site at Huntsville SP was also far from level, we were just barely able to get to level using the leveling pads, and blocks we carry.  Some of the travel trailers there had insane amounts of blocking going on to get level.  Certainly makes me glad we have hydraulic leveling jacks.

We saw Parkview Riverside in Concan looks nice, we turned around  in their parking lot while exploring the southern end of the hill country in spring of 2019 (first time I had been back down there since 1997).  Would have inquired about the place, but the office was closed.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

X-Roughneck

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2020, 06:38:50 PM »
If you ever make it to the National Seashore I have some advice.

1. Watch the weather. We stayed at a nearby county RV park that had water and electric about once a week.
2. Know what times high and low tides occur. Drive the wet beach during low tides so you don't get stuck.
3. The road/beach along the water goes downhill fast after about 6 miles after the visitor center. 4 wheel only.
4. Bring a shovel to dig out your tires out and a bucket to pour seawater under your tires.

Why? I drove our 28' Class A too far down the beach close to sunset, tried to turn around, and of course got stuck. I wasn't sure the rangers patrolled that far down and wasn't sure when high tide was coming in. So instead of turning the Winnebago into a paddle boat the wife and I dug out with our hands and used the last of our drinking water wetting the sand so we could pull out of the hole. But hey, I love adventure or I wouldn't be stupid enough to test my limits. Maybe why that wife is now an ex. My 2nd wife doesn't let me get stupid.

The sand is hard pack all the way from the beach to the dunes for several miles past the visitor center so no worries about getting stuck close in.

Bar,

Good point.  Never thought about Bear Repellent until I went to the Rocky Mountain National Park either.  I tried to buy some but they were sold out locally. 

The Good Point you made, being...I have never had a Reason to think about a High Tide in my Entire life.  I darn sure will when I go down there.  For sure.

If you could not have gotten it out your only hope would have been to start filming as the Tide Rolled in and hoped you could win money on the Funniest Home Video Show on TV when you send it in.

JD
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 08:21:58 PM by X-Roughneck »

X-Roughneck

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2020, 09:43:21 PM »
Threw the Dart and ended up in the Hill Country but Going to Garner, State Park.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/garner

This is another Gem area, according to my Dad's word of mouth stories.  It's a Place that I have always wanted to see, so check this one off the list, going for it. 

Going to take my better half and the 4 legged pack of kids down there for a quick excursion soon after I finish with some stuff. 

My Aspect 30J has a 55 Gallon Fuel Tank.  I just calculated fuel use for the entire trip Right at 50 Gallons for the whole trip towing the Jeep down there. 

Taking the Back Roads all the way Right here near Eden which is the Geographical "Center" of the Lone Star State. 

The Area I live is Not Lush.  My area is nothing like this.  I live at the edge of the Desert around 170 miles away.  It looks like the desert here too.

Images of Ulvade Texas Area. Looks very Nice to me! I see what my Dad (RIP) was talking about now!

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Is+garner+state+park+in+the+hill+country&id=8B4B6BA981C483141A1F03515DB42A9627D84D34&form=EQNAMI&first=1&scenario=ImageBasicHover

JD

« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 09:45:40 PM by X-Roughneck »

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2020, 09:44:04 PM »
There is a beach road all along on the South side of Mustang island all the way to Aransas Pass. You can't go further up the beach without crossing on the ferry. There is no cost to use the ferry. Also you can watch the dolphins as you go across.
The whole time I was there they had warnings about higher than normal tides.
Bill 
450 HP ISM Cummins
Allison 4000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2020, 10:07:44 PM »
Threw the Dart and ended up in the Hill Country but Going to Garner, State Park.

This is another Gem area, according to my Dad's word of mouth stories.  It's a Place that I have always wanted to see, so check this one off the list, going for it. 

Going to take my better half and the 4 legged pack of kids down there for a quick excursion soon after I finish with some stuff. 

My Aspect 30J has a 55 Gallon Fuel Tank.  I just calculated fuel use for the entire trip Right at 50 Gallons for the whole trip towing the Jeep down there. 

Taking the Back Roads all the way Right here near Eden which is the Geographical "Center" of the Lone Star State. 

The Area I live is Not Lush.  My area is nothing like this.  I live at the edge of the Desert around 170 miles away.  It looks like the desert here too.

Images of Ulvade Texas Area. Looks very Nice to me! I see what my Dad (RIP) was talking about now!

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Is+garner+state+park+in+the+hill+country&id=8B4B6BA981C483141A1F03515DB42A9627D84D34&form=EQNAMI&first=1&scenario=ImageBasicHover

JD
I was  close to there last week in Madina.
Where do you live? I did the trip from FW and it only took about 50 gal of fuel.
Bill
450 HP ISM Cummins
Allison 4000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
-Mark Twain-

X-Roughneck

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2020, 10:25:11 PM »
I was  close to there last week in Madina.
Where do you live? I did the trip from FW and it only took about 50 gal of fuel.
Bill

90 miles SW of Abilene.  No Major Interstate here. I'll go Eden, Menard, Junction, Cross over IH 10 back road all the way.

John

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2020, 10:43:32 PM »
We used to drive from SA to Big Spring quite often. I always asked my wife how folks would navigate before there were roads. It was nothing but sagebrush and dirt.
Retired Air Force
Retired DoD Chief, Education & Training
2016 Winnie Drop
1952 Wife
Do you know the difference between Education and Training: Would you rather your daughter take sex Education or sex Training?

X-Roughneck

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2020, 06:12:23 AM »
I agree with edjunior...check out Parkview Riverside in Concan, across the river from Garner State Park. We spent a couple of months there a few years ago. Check out the bat cave tour, climb Old Baldy, drive the Three Sisters, and to tubing in the Rio Frio. Good memories!

I did email them, but then I looked on the Texas Park Website and there is alot of space at the State Park during the time frame when we want to Camp there.  Save Bucks going the State Park Route, but I do love a nice Private Camp Ground, and it is still in Play for the future. 

I am just going to go ahead and Announce this place (Entire Texas Hill Country) will be my Annual Winter Playground, Prolly until my old @ss is scattered to the wind dead. Who Knows?  Time will tell. 

I got Inks Lake next as Primary Target labeled next Texas Adventure.  Just to let you know how my mind works.  I am Itching to go to Niagra Falls, Sequoia in Cali, and also line up with a Space=X Blast out of the Cape.  Who knows..... I feel like throwing the dice and pack up and revving the v10 soon.

Texas State Parks, well, the Price is Right, Especially for Self Inflicted Poor. Make sure you buy that 70 buck card they offer, or it will be pricy with day fees and all the hidden Costs.

Entire Hill Country Huge Area, it is all 150-180 mile Range tops from the Launch Pad. 

Every Adventure we will travel on down into these parts I am THANKFULLY traveling on a Isiolated back road.  Luckily for me TX has been Working Hard last few Years on the roads down in these parts.

I bet Garner will be Empty the way it looks judging by the Web-Site Pick It List I saw. Time will tell.

I love the Solitude when things are deserted when you go camping.  The Starkness, the Screaming Quiet.  Just me and my dog crunching thru the grass in search of a Tree.  It is a Beautiful thing. 

I bet Garner it will be eXactly like the Grand Canyon was this year, June 2020, when we took our Grand Daughter on our Grand Adventure this summer.

Nobody there! 

Think of putting you feet at One of the Worlds most Iconic Tourist Traps and I have it to yourself, SURREAL! 

I am still pinching myself, pulling that one off!!  ;D

Anybody who has visited the GC when it is Fully Revved Up in the Summer know the truth of what I say.  We were there, me and the better half, in June 2018 on our Rent Car loop.  The place you see the Elk in the Photo behind my Beautiful Grand Daughter in that 2nd attached pic would have had 300 people bumping into each other in 2018.  That is right near the Grand Canyon Bus Terminal where all the Bus Lines Originate when they are running, so was a bummer in that aspect, but the 3/4 mile stroll, yea she figured it out.  Saw it.  Got the T-Shirt and the Images burned into her mind, the good side the ones you love to visit again and again.

JD
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 06:35:03 AM by X-Roughneck »

phil-t

• ---
  • Moving Along
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2020, 06:58:04 AM »
Well, you have us interested in a visit to the area this winter, January-February, maybe a couple weeks.  Any recommendations for first time visitors?  We do not do much hiking, like to visit some nice attractions, experience history and like some religious attractions.  Not into big crowds if they can be avoided. Not into boondocking, much, either; a couple days here and there are fine.  We can live our comfortable life style without hookups for 3 or 4 days at a time.  We tow a car for visits to attractions.  Appreciate your comments JD.
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K on an '09 F53 22K Ford V-10 gas chassis.
2020 Buick Envision AWD Premium in tow.
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar
Retired - Moving Along

X-Roughneck

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2020, 11:08:10 AM »
Phil, I am only here due to a connected device to the internet addiction I have.

Watch Netflix: The Social Dilemma, then get up on you Roof And Shout the Warning to your Neighbors to Watch! 

Buy them kids a Barbie doll and a football. 

I got a 12 LB Sledge Hammer you can Borrow for the Kid's Cell Phones if you need to borrow it. I know how to swing it, too!

I say Look at "Inks Lake" you can go over to Fredricksburg (Not to Far) and have a Super Day Walking their Main Street of Shops.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/

Or Maybe "Garner St Park" with Links to Kerrville (Semi Close)

Fredericksburg: That is a Good Vibe Town right there!

Watch the 10 day weather and if something Rare makes it all the way down from Canada...It blows right thru and warms back up.  Rare to get cold down there.  I am guessing 50F-70F like is norm for this time of year, not muggy, low humidity unless it rained rescently.  You guys will fall in love with the Area. 

I know that there is a zillion places I don't know about it.  If you find something, Let me know, Brother!

JD

« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 11:16:33 AM by X-Roughneck »

phil-t

• ---
  • Moving Along
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2020, 04:25:01 PM »
JD - been part of that social media stiuff since I got into computers in '93.  I'm hooked on it because I feel I understand it and what it is really about.  Retired now and have cut the "lines" on a lot iof it.  Still need to stay in touch with the kids and grandkids.  All my grandlkids have limits on their device times, they need it!.  The internet can be a wonderful resouce.
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar
Retired - Moving Along

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2020, 04:59:57 PM »
phil-t - it sounds like you need to visit San Antonio.  Remember the Alamo??  Also, tour the missions there.  There are plenty of campgrounds around there that have full hook-ups.  This would be a great visit for you I think.
Ed.....KF5INW
MSgt, USAF, Retired
2019 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD

phil-t

• ---
  • Moving Along
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2020, 05:03:46 PM »
phil-t - it sounds like you need to visit San Antonio.  Remember the Alamo??  Also, tour the missions there.  There are plenty of campgrounds around there that have full hook-ups.  This would be a great visit for you I think.
Thanks, I had that in mind.  Never got to see the area - was there in 1970 for AirForce basic training.
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar
Retired - Moving Along

X-Roughneck

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2020, 05:38:00 PM »
JD - been part of that social media stiuff since I got into computers in '93.  I'm hooked on it because I feel I understand it and what it is really about.  Retired now and have cut the "lines" on a lot iof it.  Still need to stay in touch with the kids and grandkids.  All my grandlkids have limits on their device times, they need it!.  The internet can be a wonderful resouce.

Phil,

Garner State Park is supposedly Changing Colors now...Did you see that On Texas Parks Site?  Now Sure how old that photo was.

Did you lock something down in the Hill Country in?  Where will you be coming from on the trip down, if you you care to share.

//
I remember the days of 3 TV Channels.  ABC, NBC, CBS and the UHF whatever channel? The Tin Foil one, thing.. 

That was as late as early 70s...Much more Simple time.  Kids could enjoy being kids.

I can see today where there is great security in letting kids stay more towards home.   I do see phone/device at home.. -vs- let them bicycle around the streets.  ..I guess it is where you live and all.

Lots of knowledge on the internet for sure, but I know connected devices is contributing to society at Large getting "Larger" as that promotes a sedentary life.

People want to fix everything with their phones or on a device or the majority of the time during the day just sitting. 

It got me too when I was working.  I blimped up big time.  Living Stressed out, and slamming beers when I got home to wake up and do it all over again and again...You know the deal.

Lots of "TO DO List" repetitive tasks at work, and coming home just to look at cool stuff in the comfort of you own home in your underwear, sure! Count me in! 

Look at my Lack of Wilpower...24 Hours ago I was here waiving the I quit for 30 days or so Flag.  Wished everybody a Merry Christmas and Happy New year...

and I am back and well now I realize I forgot to wish everybody a Happy Thanksgiving. 

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

So much for the, "I will show you I am not addicted to my connected device"  Yea...did not make it too long.  I am weak.   ;D

I am consciously thinking about it more though.  I got goof off projects I need to start knocking out.  The daylight is growing shorter too.   

We can't deny the truth, of what our eyes are telling us though, these Mega Hour Doritos Revving the old PlayStation for hours on end are packing the LBs.

Kids need to get out and burn energy....or at least they did back in the day. 

I am not saying people have to be thin, but I can see the advantages of it for sure.

I bet those smart people built a Virtual Reality app for eXercise or something possibly now?  ;D       

Right now I am trying to get thin to get this weight down to level I can feel good at as I age to be easy on the joints.  For me I still need to do another 10 LBs, barring a Mexican Food Addiction Flair Up that goes unchecked I think I will make it to the elusive 165 I have had my eyes on well, since I became a Fat adult which was a Long, Long, Long Time ago..

This getting old is not for the faint of heart I see either! After I get going in the morning I am alright. It is just hard to get to that point it seems.

Glad I quit working or I am not sure I would have the time to fit all these Dr, Appts into my life.

JD
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 05:44:42 PM by X-Roughneck »

phil-t

• ---
  • Moving Along
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2020, 07:18:10 PM »
No, we have not nailed anything down yet.  Yes, been looking at the Texas State Park site and did read some on Garner.  We will be leaving Northern NY (I'm about 4 hours from Niagara Falls).  Live on the St. Lawrence River, further North.  Anyway heading to the Greenville, SC area for XMAS, Daughter, SonInLaw and 3 grandsons there.  Then doing a bit of traveling/sightdseeing from there in January/February.  Just in the process of planning that traveling thing.  Just know I want to be done with the cold and snow of this area.  This will be our 4th year of RV travel.
LOL, I vowed once, to lay off the keyboard/pad!  Lasted from when I went to bed till I got up at 5AM the following day.  :P
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 07:22:10 PM by phil-t »
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar
Retired - Moving Along

X-Roughneck

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2020, 08:14:20 PM »
Not sure but depending how you decide to pop on into the Lone Star State, there is a State Park Up there Around Tyler Very Pretty That will be East of the Dallas / Ft. Worth Area. Never Been the RV Texas Ya'LL on TY has a good one on that park as well as Huntsville Raven Hill I believe. 

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/tyler

Got to get a Pic in Paris TX too.

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/eiffel-tower-paris-texas-nicholas-blackwell.html

If you are coming South near IH10 you may want to think Magnolia Ridge, a CCC Park somewhere (Have not Been in the Houston Vacinity.  North of Houston in Huntsville, Is Huntsville, TX State Park Super  :))  :))

I was out at Huntsville, Ravens Hill Loop in January and had the Place practically to myself.  Unlevel but Great Views, Lots of Water...(Watch out for those Ferrell or Javalina Hogs!!!) Lot's of rooting around in that area at night...Do you know how to climb trees?  Only Joking!

I think up off 59 Near Lufkin is the Davy Crockett National Forest.  Been Years since I been that way, but I have a interest myself in maybe going back.  This is the Big Thicket Area and the Beautiful old Pin Oaks the Big Lob Lolly Pines.  Really Pretty!

Nice down here.  NY Winter -vs- Texas Winter.  Don't forget to pack your shorts. 

I like to warn everybody from NY It could get cold for 24 hrs maybe. 

We are talking a 10% chance of 25F-34F bone chilling temps for a possible 24 hour Period!! Be Prepared!!

JD
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 08:37:18 PM by X-Roughneck »

jymbee

• ---
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2020, 09:17:12 PM »
Just a quick reminder to anyone headed to TX State Parks-- as I expect you know the Texas Parks State Pass is a MUST HAVE if you plan on staying any length of time. Saves us hundreds of $$$ each year.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/park-information/passes/park-passes/#texas-state-parks-pass

Not sure but depending how you decide to pop on into the Lone Star State, there is a State Park Up there Around Tyler Very Pretty That will be East of the Dallas / Ft. Worth Area. Never Been the RV Texas Ya'LL on TY has a good one on that park as well as Huntsville Raven Hill I believe. 

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/tyler

Got to get a Pic in Paris TX too.

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/eiffel-tower-paris-texas-nicholas-blackwell.html

If you are coming South near IH10 you may want to think Magnolia Ridge, a CCC Park somewhere (Have not Been in the Houston Vacinity.  North of Houston in Huntsville, Is Huntsville, TX State Park Super  :))  :))

I was out at Huntsville, Ravens Hill Loop in January and had the Place practically to myself.  Unlevel but Great Views, Lots of Water...(Watch out for those Ferrell or Javalina Hogs!!!) Lot's of rooting around in that area at night...Do you know how to climb trees?  Only Joking!

I think up off 59 Near Lufkin is the Davy Crockett National Forest.  Been Years since I been that way, but I have a interest myself in maybe going back.  This is the Big Thicket Area and the Beautiful old Pin Oaks the Big Lob Lolly Pines.  Really Pretty!

Nice down here.  NY Winter -vs- Texas Winter.  Don't forget to pack your shorts. 

I like to warn everybody from NY It could get cold for 24 hrs maybe. 

We are talking a 10% chance of 25F-34F bone chilling temps for a possible 24 hour Period!! Be Prepared!!

JD
Wandering in our 2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C Class A

X-Roughneck

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2020, 09:29:59 PM »
Thanks, I had that in mind.  Never got to see the area - was there in 1970 for AirForce basic training.

As a FYI there is a RV place in San Antonio over by SeaWorld out on the Loop 1604.  RV Texas Ya'LL Video.  Would be a easy Leap to the Alamo Downtown from there.

Real time August 2019 data when I moved: Avoid IH 35 at all Costs. Avoid the Area East of IH 35 if you are Traversing up through the City.  Avoid also the Lackland Area.

I am not going to tell you sleep with your doors unlocked at that one by the Sea World, but better area that the other areas for sure!!!!!

Highway 281 Splits the City North and South, Look North to the outer 1604 Loop towards Canyon Lake which we talked about earlier in the Thread.  I used this road to leave SA last week myself/281N.

Caveat Emptor...You are Rolling the Dice traveling that 281 stretch with all the construction but they have opened good chunks of new roadway.  That will be a 8 mile from 1604 Outer Loop to the Bridge at the Bexar-Comal County Line 8 miles to the north.  They are three years into a 5 year Project.  (Getting alot better now for sure- Strategy: Timed avoid Rush Hour attempts to the 1604/281)

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2020, 09:22:56 PM »
Came down I-35 to 410 around the south side mainly because I didn't want to drive through town. Got off at the first exit south on I-35, Fischer Rd. Stayed at Hidden Valley RV Park. https://hiddenvalleyrvpark.com/
We have stayed over by the water park at Admiralty RV Resort.
We went south on I-37 to CC. Coming back we went around 40 to 10 then out to 87 to Fredericksburg.
Bill
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 09:32:41 PM by WILDEBILL308 »
450 HP ISM Cummins
Allison 4000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
-Mark Twain-

I was X-Roughneck

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2020, 06:04:32 PM »
Garner State Park Quick Report.  CCC Park of the 1930s, and it has great Facilities all built from the local Limestone. 

Super Beautiful well preserved park. 

Packed up the Pack and we headed out to Garner State Park in the Hill Country for Christmas. 

Driving into Garner it was a nice & easy drive into the Park from Junction TX (@ IH 10) last 70 miles west on Highway 83.  I had to get on IH 10 East for a Exit or two to link back on Highway 83 for the final 70 miles into the Park Entrance.  I took the back roads all the way,  It was a short Trip for us under 200 Miles from the Desert Launch Pad.

This would be a super easy trip coming out of San Antonio on Highway 90 as Garner is under a 100 miles to the West and slightly North.

We camped Christmas and stayed 3 Nights with 50 amp and H20 for $65, so under $22 with the Texas Park Card.  Garner is a Great Park! 

Both I and the Better Half would have to rate it as one of our Favorite places we have stayed. 

Burned a Fire Every Night.  The Camp Sites were spread out and the park was scarcely populated.  Most of the sites had reserved marker flipped, but doubtful how up to date the Red/Green tags were? 

Verizon let me down as AT&T is the only Provider that can keep your phone Lit out there.

I would venture a guess that the place was 30-40% to capacity.

Garner Camp sites are on The Frio River and Very Near the Frio River.  Garner is much like the New Braunfels Area on IH 35 North of San Antonio and Frio River is much like the Guadalupe River in New Braunfels as to...... a "Very Popular Tubing / Rafting Draw"/ Summer Time Attraction where people float lazy down the river. Outfitters, Rent tubes and have buses to take everybody who paid up river to get dropped and float back down current to their cars at the outfitter's parking lot.

I got Inks Lake, Another Texas State Park, Booked for a few days in January 2021 and and looking forward to that trip for sure.  It will be another short trip taking the Texas Back Roads.  I will go thru Brady and Llano to Inks Lake.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/inks-lake

I would definitely tell anyone who really loves a Great Park with Large Spacious Sites to Put Garner State Park, (Near Junction, TX @ IH10) on your short List.

Fabulous.  Water in the Frio Rio was Clear.  Had it been Warmer I would have gotten in as parts near the Pavilion are around 8 to 10 ft deep.  Most of it is fairly shallow but it is Beautiful.

I will add the Ink Lake Report When we get back.

JD
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 06:13:52 PM by I was X-Roughneck »

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2020, 08:49:28 PM »
Yes that is a great park.
Bill
450 HP ISM Cummins
Allison 4000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
-Mark Twain-

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2020, 09:13:24 PM »
Did you hike the trails up the "mountain" and go to the cave?  It's kinda neat, but small.  Glad you liked it.  It is an awesome park.
Ed.....KF5INW
MSgt, USAF, Retired
2019 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD

I was X-Roughneck

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2021, 06:57:17 AM »
Not sure if allowed, but this link is a great documentation of what Garner Has to Offer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EekEWVMX6Ls

RV Texas Ya'LL does a Great Job of documenting the Lone Star State.

Happy New Year to all the folks out here on the RV Boards.

JD

I was X-Roughneck

« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2021, 07:02:15 AM »
Did you hike the trails up the "mountain" and go to the cave?  It's kinda neat, but small.  Glad you liked it.  It is an awesome park.

Ed, I Did not do alot of walking in General.  I got the Foot and shoulder to get fixed next. 

Glad I Quit the work force, so I got time for the Dr. Appts.

Hopefully it don't get to the point of a stranger taking a knife to me to take a look inside, but I have my doubts...LOL.

JD

Mr C

• ---
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2021, 09:51:12 AM »
I'd like to spend some time down there. It really looks nice. I've watched other folks staying and reviewing the parks as well.