rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Texas Hill Country Get Away  (Read 1610 times)

phil-t

• ---
  • Moving Along
Re: Texas Hill Country Get Away
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2020, 06:58:04 AM »
Well, you have us interested in a visit to the area this winter, January-February, maybe a couple weeks.  Any recommendations for first time visitors?  We do not do much hiking, like to visit some nice attractions, experience history and like some religious attractions.  Not into big crowds if they can be avoided. Not into boondocking, much, either; a couple days here and there are fine.  We can live our comfortable life style without hookups for 3 or 4 days at a time.  We tow a car for visits to attractions.  Appreciate your comments JD.
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K on an '09 F53 22K Ford V-10 gas chassis.
2020 Buick Envision AWD Premium in tow.
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar
Retired - Moving Along

X-Roughneck

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2020, 11:08:10 AM »
Phil, I am only here due to a connected device to the internet addiction I have.

Watch Netflix: The Social Dilemma, then get up on you Roof And Shout the Warning to your Neighbors to Watch! 

Buy them kids a Barbie doll and a football. 

I got a 12 LB Sledge Hammer you can Borrow for the Kid's Cell Phones if you need to borrow it. I know how to swing it, too!

I say Look at "Inks Lake" you can go over to Fredricksburg (Not to Far) and have a Super Day Walking their Main Street of Shops.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/

Or Maybe "Garner St Park" with Links to Kerrville (Semi Close)

Fredericksburg: That is a Good Vibe Town right there!

Watch the 10 day weather and if something Rare makes it all the way down from Canada...It blows right thru and warms back up.  Rare to get cold down there.  I am guessing 50F-70F like is norm for this time of year, not muggy, low humidity unless it rained rescently.  You guys will fall in love with the Area. 

I know that there is a zillion places I don't know about it.  If you find something, Let me know, Brother!

JD

« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 11:16:33 AM by X-Roughneck »

phil-t

• ---
  • Moving Along
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2020, 04:25:01 PM »
JD - been part of that social media stiuff since I got into computers in '93.  I'm hooked on it because I feel I understand it and what it is really about.  Retired now and have cut the "lines" on a lot iof it.  Still need to stay in touch with the kids and grandkids.  All my grandlkids have limits on their device times, they need it!.  The internet can be a wonderful resouce.
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar
Retired - Moving Along

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2020, 04:59:57 PM »
phil-t - it sounds like you need to visit San Antonio.  Remember the Alamo??  Also, tour the missions there.  There are plenty of campgrounds around there that have full hook-ups.  This would be a great visit for you I think.
Ed.....KF5INW
MSgt, USAF, Retired
2019 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

phil-t

• ---
  • Moving Along
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2020, 05:03:46 PM »
phil-t - it sounds like you need to visit San Antonio.  Remember the Alamo??  Also, tour the missions there.  There are plenty of campgrounds around there that have full hook-ups.  This would be a great visit for you I think.
Thanks, I had that in mind.  Never got to see the area - was there in 1970 for AirForce basic training.
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar
Retired - Moving Along

X-Roughneck

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2020, 05:38:00 PM »
JD - been part of that social media stiuff since I got into computers in '93.  I'm hooked on it because I feel I understand it and what it is really about.  Retired now and have cut the "lines" on a lot iof it.  Still need to stay in touch with the kids and grandkids.  All my grandlkids have limits on their device times, they need it!.  The internet can be a wonderful resouce.

Phil,

Garner State Park is supposedly Changing Colors now...Did you see that On Texas Parks Site?  Now Sure how old that photo was.

Did you lock something down in the Hill Country in?  Where will you be coming from on the trip down, if you you care to share.

//
I remember the days of 3 TV Channels.  ABC, NBC, CBS and the UHF whatever channel? The Tin Foil one, thing.. 

That was as late as early 70s...Much more Simple time.  Kids could enjoy being kids.

I can see today where there is great security in letting kids stay more towards home.   I do see phone/device at home.. -vs- let them bicycle around the streets.  ..I guess it is where you live and all.

Lots of knowledge on the internet for sure, but I know connected devices is contributing to society at Large getting "Larger" as that promotes a sedentary life.

People want to fix everything with their phones or on a device or the majority of the time during the day just sitting. 

It got me too when I was working.  I blimped up big time.  Living Stressed out, and slamming beers when I got home to wake up and do it all over again and again...You know the deal.

Lots of "TO DO List" repetitive tasks at work, and coming home just to look at cool stuff in the comfort of you own home in your underwear, sure! Count me in! 

Look at my Lack of Wilpower...24 Hours ago I was here waiving the I quit for 30 days or so Flag.  Wished everybody a Merry Christmas and Happy New year...

and I am back and well now I realize I forgot to wish everybody a Happy Thanksgiving. 

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

So much for the, "I will show you I am not addicted to my connected device"  Yea...did not make it too long.  I am weak.   ;D

I am consciously thinking about it more though.  I got goof off projects I need to start knocking out.  The daylight is growing shorter too.   

We can't deny the truth, of what our eyes are telling us though, these Mega Hour Doritos Revving the old PlayStation for hours on end are packing the LBs.

Kids need to get out and burn energy....or at least they did back in the day. 

I am not saying people have to be thin, but I can see the advantages of it for sure.

I bet those smart people built a Virtual Reality app for eXercise or something possibly now?  ;D       

Right now I am trying to get thin to get this weight down to level I can feel good at as I age to be easy on the joints.  For me I still need to do another 10 LBs, barring a Mexican Food Addiction Flair Up that goes unchecked I think I will make it to the elusive 165 I have had my eyes on well, since I became a Fat adult which was a Long, Long, Long Time ago..

This getting old is not for the faint of heart I see either! After I get going in the morning I am alright. It is just hard to get to that point it seems.

Glad I quit working or I am not sure I would have the time to fit all these Dr, Appts into my life.

JD
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 05:44:42 PM by X-Roughneck »

phil-t

• ---
  • Moving Along
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2020, 07:18:10 PM »
No, we have not nailed anything down yet.  Yes, been looking at the Texas State Park site and did read some on Garner.  We will be leaving Northern NY (I'm about 4 hours from Niagara Falls).  Live on the St. Lawrence River, further North.  Anyway heading to the Greenville, SC area for XMAS, Daughter, SonInLaw and 3 grandsons there.  Then doing a bit of traveling/sightdseeing from there in January/February.  Just in the process of planning that traveling thing.  Just know I want to be done with the cold and snow of this area.  This will be our 4th year of RV travel.
LOL, I vowed once, to lay off the keyboard/pad!  Lasted from when I went to bed till I got up at 5AM the following day.  :P
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 07:22:10 PM by phil-t »
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar
Retired - Moving Along

X-Roughneck

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2020, 08:14:20 PM »
Not sure but depending how you decide to pop on into the Lone Star State, there is a State Park Up there Around Tyler Very Pretty That will be East of the Dallas / Ft. Worth Area. Never Been the RV Texas Ya'LL on TY has a good one on that park as well as Huntsville Raven Hill I believe. 

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/tyler

Got to get a Pic in Paris TX too.

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/eiffel-tower-paris-texas-nicholas-blackwell.html

If you are coming South near IH10 you may want to think Magnolia Ridge, a CCC Park somewhere (Have not Been in the Houston Vacinity.  North of Houston in Huntsville, Is Huntsville, TX State Park Super  :))  :))

I was out at Huntsville, Ravens Hill Loop in January and had the Place practically to myself.  Unlevel but Great Views, Lots of Water...(Watch out for those Ferrell or Javalina Hogs!!!) Lot's of rooting around in that area at night...Do you know how to climb trees?  Only Joking!

I think up off 59 Near Lufkin is the Davy Crockett National Forest.  Been Years since I been that way, but I have a interest myself in maybe going back.  This is the Big Thicket Area and the Beautiful old Pin Oaks the Big Lob Lolly Pines.  Really Pretty!

Nice down here.  NY Winter -vs- Texas Winter.  Don't forget to pack your shorts. 

I like to warn everybody from NY It could get cold for 24 hrs maybe. 

We are talking a 10% chance of 25F-34F bone chilling temps for a possible 24 hour Period!! Be Prepared!!

JD
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 08:37:18 PM by X-Roughneck »

jymbee

• ---
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2020, 09:17:12 PM »
Just a quick reminder to anyone headed to TX State Parks-- as I expect you know the Texas Parks State Pass is a MUST HAVE if you plan on staying any length of time. Saves us hundreds of $$$ each year.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/park-information/passes/park-passes/#texas-state-parks-pass

Not sure but depending how you decide to pop on into the Lone Star State, there is a State Park Up there Around Tyler Very Pretty That will be East of the Dallas / Ft. Worth Area. Never Been the RV Texas Ya'LL on TY has a good one on that park as well as Huntsville Raven Hill I believe. 

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/tyler

Got to get a Pic in Paris TX too.

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/eiffel-tower-paris-texas-nicholas-blackwell.html

If you are coming South near IH10 you may want to think Magnolia Ridge, a CCC Park somewhere (Have not Been in the Houston Vacinity.  North of Houston in Huntsville, Is Huntsville, TX State Park Super  :))  :))

I was out at Huntsville, Ravens Hill Loop in January and had the Place practically to myself.  Unlevel but Great Views, Lots of Water...(Watch out for those Ferrell or Javalina Hogs!!!) Lot's of rooting around in that area at night...Do you know how to climb trees?  Only Joking!

I think up off 59 Near Lufkin is the Davy Crockett National Forest.  Been Years since I been that way, but I have a interest myself in maybe going back.  This is the Big Thicket Area and the Beautiful old Pin Oaks the Big Lob Lolly Pines.  Really Pretty!

Nice down here.  NY Winter -vs- Texas Winter.  Don't forget to pack your shorts. 

I like to warn everybody from NY It could get cold for 24 hrs maybe. 

We are talking a 10% chance of 25F-34F bone chilling temps for a possible 24 hour Period!! Be Prepared!!

JD
Wandering in our 2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C Class A

X-Roughneck

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2020, 09:29:59 PM »
Thanks, I had that in mind.  Never got to see the area - was there in 1970 for AirForce basic training.

As a FYI there is a RV place in San Antonio over by SeaWorld out on the Loop 1604.  RV Texas Ya'LL Video.  Would be a easy Leap to the Alamo Downtown from there.

Real time August 2019 data when I moved: Avoid IH 35 at all Costs. Avoid the Area East of IH 35 if you are Traversing up through the City.  Avoid also the Lackland Area.

I am not going to tell you sleep with your doors unlocked at that one by the Sea World, but better area that the other areas for sure!!!!!

Highway 281 Splits the City North and South, Look North to the outer 1604 Loop towards Canyon Lake which we talked about earlier in the Thread.  I used this road to leave SA last week myself/281N.

Caveat Emptor...You are Rolling the Dice traveling that 281 stretch with all the construction but they have opened good chunks of new roadway.  That will be a 8 mile from 1604 Outer Loop to the Bridge at the Bexar-Comal County Line 8 miles to the north.  They are three years into a 5 year Project.  (Getting alot better now for sure- Strategy: Timed avoid Rush Hour attempts to the 1604/281)

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2020, 09:22:56 PM »
Came down I-35 to 410 around the south side mainly because I didn't want to drive through town. Got off at the first exit south on I-35, Fischer Rd. Stayed at Hidden Valley RV Park. https://hiddenvalleyrvpark.com/
We have stayed over by the water park at Admiralty RV Resort.
We went south on I-37 to CC. Coming back we went around 40 to 10 then out to 87 to Fredericksburg.
Bill
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 09:32:41 PM by WILDEBILL308 »
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP ISM Cummins
Allison 4000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

I was X-Roughneck

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2020, 06:04:32 PM »
Garner State Park Quick Report.  CCC Park of the 1930s, and it has great Facilities all built from the local Limestone. 

Super Beautiful well preserved park. 

Packed up the Pack and we headed out to Garner State Park in the Hill Country for Christmas. 

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/garner

Driving into Garner it was a nice & easy drive into the Park from Junction TX (@ IH 10) last 70 miles west on Highway 83.  I had to get on IH 10 East for a Exit or two to link back on Highway 83 for the final 70 miles into the Park Entrance.  I took the back roads all the way,  It was a short Trip for us under 200 Miles from the Desert Launch Pad.

This would be a super easy trip coming out of San Antonio on Highway 90 as Garner is under a 100 miles to the West and slightly North.

We camped Christmas and stayed 3 Nights with 50 amp and H20 for $65, so under $22 with the Texas Park Card.  Garner is a Great Park! 

Both I and the Better Half would have to rate it as one of our Favorite places we have stayed. 

Burned a Fire Every Night.  The Camp Sites were spread out and the park was scarcely populated.  Most of the sites had reserved marker flipped, but doubtful how up to date the Red/Green tags were? 

Verizon let me down as AT&T is the only Provider that can keep your phone Lit out there.

I would venture a guess that the place was 30-40% to capacity.

Garner Camp sites are on The Frio River and Very Near the Frio River.  Garner is much like the New Braunfels Area on IH 35 North of San Antonio and Frio River is much like the Guadalupe River in New Braunfels as to...... a "Very Popular Tubing / Rafting Draw"/ Summer Time Attraction where people float lazy down the river. Outfitters, Rent tubes and have buses to take everybody who paid up river to get dropped and float back down current to their cars at the outfitter's parking lot.

I got Inks Lake, Another Texas State Park, Booked for a few days in January 2021 and and looking forward to that trip for sure.  It will be another short trip taking the Texas Back Roads.  I will go thru Brady and Llano to Inks Lake.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/inks-lake

I would definitely tell anyone who really loves a Great Park with Large Spacious Sites to Put Garner State Park, (Near Junction, TX @ IH10) on your short List.

Fabulous.  Water in the Frio Rio was Clear.  Had it been Warmer I would have gotten in as parts near the Pavilion are around 8 to 10 ft deep.  Most of it is fairly shallow but it is Beautiful.

I will add the Ink Lake Report When we get back.

JD
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 06:13:52 PM by I was X-Roughneck »

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2020, 08:49:28 PM »
Yes that is a great park.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP ISM Cummins
Allison 4000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2020, 09:13:24 PM »
Did you hike the trails up the "mountain" and go to the cave?  It's kinda neat, but small.  Glad you liked it.  It is an awesome park.
Ed.....KF5INW
MSgt, USAF, Retired
2019 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

I was X-Roughneck

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2021, 06:57:17 AM »
Not sure if allowed, but this link is a great documentation of what Garner Has to Offer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EekEWVMX6Ls

RV Texas Ya'LL does a Great Job of documenting the Lone Star State.

Happy New Year to all the folks out here on the RV Boards.

JD

I was X-Roughneck

« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2021, 07:02:15 AM »
Did you hike the trails up the "mountain" and go to the cave?  It's kinda neat, but small.  Glad you liked it.  It is an awesome park.

Ed, I Did not do alot of walking in General.  I got the Foot and shoulder to get fixed next. 

Glad I Quit the work force, so I got time for the Dr. Appts.

Hopefully it don't get to the point of a stranger taking a knife to me to take a look inside, but I have my doubts...LOL.

JD

Mr C

• ---
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2021, 09:51:12 AM »
I'd like to spend some time down there. It really looks nice. I've watched other folks staying and reviewing the parks as well.