Wireless Router and Aircard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poltax

Please correct me if I am wrong.  I have gotten the impression from some of the posts that you can put your aircard in a router and have a wireless network in your MH.  If this is correct what brands of routers are you all using.  My aircard is AT&T.

If the above is not correct please explain your set up anyway.  Thank you

The service used by an aircard router is known as EVDO. My understanding is that EVDO service is provided by Sprint and Verizon, but not AT&T or T-mobile. Here's a link to some EVDO information.

I have two options when we're on the road:

• Air card with T-mobile, no router.
  • Direcway satellite internet dish and modem, with Linksys router.

The Kyocera KR-1 and Linksys WRT54-3G are two routers that will accept an aircard.  You can get the details at the respective web sites and find out if they will work with the AT&T aircard.

EVDO is CDMA based whereas AT&T and T-mobile are GSM based.

Yes, but the router doesn't know or care what the aircard does, only if it's a supported card.  The web sites list the supported cards with no mention of EVDO or GPRS/GSM.  I don't know who uses what card.

I would have said the same Ned, until I tried to buy one. The one sold at Fry's (can't recall the brand) was explicitly limited to EVDO. The Kyocera KR-1 router web page specifically states EVDO. The Linksys WRT54-3G product spec says specifically Sprint, but their list of Supported cards talks about Vodafone.

AT&T, T-mobile etc are 3G/edge technology------ where as Sprint, Alltel, Verizon etc are EVDO/1xrtt technology. 3G and EVDO are not backwards compatible with each other. In other words you can not roam on a Sprint system with a AT&T aircard or visa versa.

Now as already mentioned a ROUTER does not know or care what operating system card is installed, IT ONLY HAS TO BE COMPATABLE WITH THE PARTICULAR AIR CARD. Not all routers are compatible with all air cards regardless of operating mode.
You need to go to the router manufacture and find out what Air Cards are supported by a given router.

Example: I have a EX720 Novatell air card (Sprint service) and a Global router, in order to use the EX720 card in the Top Global router I had to purchase an adapter, but the Sierra (AT&T service) air card that I have also will directly plug and play with the Top Global router.

Bottom line, yes you can use a router with a air card an create your own wi-fi system to operate more than one computer off a single air card.

Whodo said:
I had to purchase an adapter, but the Sierra (AT&T service) air card that I have also will directly plug and play with the Top Global router.

That's good to know. What adapter did you need to buy (make/model)?

Then, to answer the original question, it appears that the Top Global router will accept the AT&T aircard.  What is the model number of that router? Is it the MB6800 or MB8000?

Tom said:
I would have said the same Ned, until I tried to buy one. The one sold at Fry's (can't recall the brand) was explicitly limited to EVDO. The Kyocera KR-1 router web page specifically states EVDO. The Linksys WRT54-3G product spec says specifically Sprint, but their list of Supported cards talks about Vodafone.

Tom I am not sure what they are trying to say,  but I am using the KR1 with my Verizon PC5740 aircard. It works with both the 1X (National Access) and  EVDO (Broadband Access) networks.
I have had 1X all summer and EVDo just got added to this area a few days ago and I have been connected all the time.
The KR1 now supports RevA aircards -  maybe that's what they are trying to say.

Thanks Clay. I did intend to add a note saying "color me confused" to my prior post  ;D

Ned --- I am using the Top Global 3G Phoebus (MB6000) router.
Tom --- I had to buy a pcmcia card adapter (XCA-3).
Now everyone must remember that not all routers are compatible with all air-cards. The air card manufacture has to write the soft ware for there air-card compatibility to the different routers. Prime example is my Novatell EX720 air card is not supported for use in a Kyocera KR1 router. I keep hearing that the next soft ware release will allow for its use, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for that to happen.

I am confused.  We are looking at using an ATT or Verizon aircard.  My thought was to use in my computer as a backup to the satellite.  I assumed maybe wrongly that Marsha would have access by setting up a direct network between our two computers (peer to peer)or simple passing the card back and forth..manual sharing <gg>.  Our exisitng Linksys router (WRT54GC Compact wireless broadband router) would not be used.  From these messages it appears that there are routers available that will directly receive an aircard.

Tim, you can do it either way.  Using the router allows both of you to be online at the same time.  You would need a new router to use the AirCard.

Tim Lassen said:
I am confused.  We are looking at using an ATT or Verizon aircard.  My thought was to use in my computer as a backup to the satellite.  I assumed maybe wrongly that Marsha would have access by setting up a direct network between our two computers (peer to peer)or simple passing the card back and forth..manual sharing <gg>.  Our exisitng Linksys router (WRT54GC Compact wireless broadband router) would not be used.   From these messages it appears that there are routers available that will directly receive an aircard.

Passing the card back and forth got to be a pain for us.
I was successful in getting our peer to peer network configured for aircard internet sharing, but I had to reconfigure it again each time the laptops were turned back on and that was a major pain.
We now have a Kyocera KR1 wireless router with a Verizon aircard and the system works well so far.
The KR1 will accept the new USB aircards and will handle Rev A cards.
You just have to make the aircard you get is supported by it.

It will support the WPA-PSK security protocol. If you generate a passphrase composed of random characters using a web site like http://www.kurtm.net/wpa-pskgen/ or the KR1 web site, everything I have read says you will be secure enough.

Clay and Ned..thanks for your replies.  I now need to decide between an ATT or Verizon card.  Clay..I am not familiar with the router that you cited.  Can you tell me where I can purchase?  tim

Tim Lassen said:
Clay and Ned..thanks for your replies.  I now need to decide between an ATT or Verizon card.  Clay..I am not familiar with the router that you cited.  Can you tell me where I can purchase?  tim

The router is a Kyocera KR1. I got it from the 3GStore at http://3gstore.com/.  They have a very good reputation for customer service and sponsor some forums dedicated to EVDO equipment for cellphones and laptops. My order was shipped the same day I entered it on their website.
A link to Kyocera is  http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/kr1-router
D-Link makes the KR1 for Kyocera but I did not consider the router they sell under their own name because oddly enough it does not support Rev A aircards and the KR1 does. (This is what D-Link said in two different email responses I got from them.)

I think Cincular/ATT probably has good coverage in general but there are a number of places I go where they don't have coverage. For example Bouse AZ is poor. Where we are now - Lake Cascade State Park near Cascade Idaho - I have 5 bars and Broadband Access.
To use ATT the campers have to go over to the hill above the boat dock.

I have also been getting broadband access in a lot of places where ATT has not yet added it.

I am sure the reverse is true in some areas, but for me Verizon is the right choice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom