Corona virus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
Did everyone hear this morning that they now have a vaccine and it?s 90% effective.  It may be available by the end of the month. It will probably take several months before it?s available for everyone. To compare, the flu vaccine is only 50% effective.  I think I also heard that it?s going to be made available to other countries. Why would they do that before everyone here gets it unless they invested money in the research. Sounds promising.

Definitely good news, but still quite preliminary. Pfizer has says they intend on seeking emergency approval at the end of the month, not that it would be available then. And Pfizer is not part of the ?Operation Warp Speed? of the current administration. The CEO said he didn?t want to be pressured by politics. Interesting stuff, but don?t plan family Christmas yet..
https://apnews.com/article/pfizer-vaccine-effective-early-data-4f4ae2e3bad122d17742be22a2240ae8

Rene T said:
I think I also heard that it?s going to be made available to other countries. Why would they do that before everyone here gets it unless they invested money in the research. Sounds promising.

One reason, Pfizer has a German partner, BioNTech.  Another reason is that many of those injected with these experimental drugs were not Americans. 

Plus, many other countries, including Canada have paid Billions for an advance purchase so there is an order that it will be rolled out.

Ed

If you look in more detail at the Pfizer vaccine and several of the others under development are mRNA vaccines,  which are new, there has never been a mRNA vaccine released to the general public, just some experimental vaccines using mRNA technology in the last few years, so the long term potential complications from this class of vaccine is unknown. Also one of the big challenges of mRNA vaccines is that they must he stored and transported at very low cryogenic temperatures (-94F), which means there will be distribution challenges, as these can't just sit in the refrigerator at the pharmacy or doctors office waiting to be used (refrigerator storage shelf life is under 24 hours).  So expect large public assembly line injection stations being set up to give doses at scheduled times.

Other vaccines are under development using more traditional vaccine production which does not require cryogenic transport.  This is not to say which is safer, just saying the challenges and the unknowns are higher with the mRNA vaccines.

The temperature of dry ice is -109.3 degrees F.
When we came down from NH to FL this year we had a bunch of frozen food we wanted to take with us. I used a regular cooler. On Friday afternoon, I purchased a 15# block and put it on the frozen food we had. We left Saturday morning and arrived Sunday afternoon. There was still a small piece left about the size of a large pankake.  So it lasted 48 hours.

Isaac-1 said:
If you look in more detail at the Pfizer vaccine and several of the others under development are mRNA vaccines,  which are new, there has never been a mRNA vaccine released to the general public, just some experimental vaccines using mRNA technology in the last few years, so the long term potential complications from this class of vaccine is unknown. Also one of the big challenges of mRNA vaccines is that they must he stored and transported at very low cryogenic temperatures (-94F), which means there will be distribution challenges, as these can't just sit in the refrigerator at the pharmacy or doctors office waiting to be used (refrigerator storage shelf life is under 24 hours).  So expect large public assembly line injection stations being set up to give doses at scheduled times.

Other vaccines are under development using more traditional vaccine production which does not require cryogenic transport.  This is not to say which is safer, just saying the challenges and the unknowns are higher with the mRNA vaccines.

Good to know.  I'm not exactly an anti vaxxer, but I'm not big on pills or injecting stuff into my body.  One of my concerns on the development of this vaccine is the time line.  Hopefully there's not a huge downside to "Warp Speed" development of medications. 

Our son in law informed us this afternoon he tested positive for COVID 19. I spent the weekend with him and our son down in Virginia. My wife has also been in contact with him since we have the grandkids while mom and dad are at work. Public Health is supposed to be contacting us tomorrow.

I saw on nightly local news, it would get rolled out to nursing homes, then elderly, then healthcare workers.  I get the flu shot yearly, but If our Govt gets involved I'm but not sure I will be in that line for the Kool Aid.  I will say, there are a few promising things in the works.  Stay safe, wear your masks.

Did a very quick Google search it found this headline
Covid-19 vaccine from Pfizer and BioNTech is strongly effective, early data from large trial indicate

and this information

Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech released promising, but preliminary, results for the effectiveness of their Covid-19 vaccine. Here?s what we know, and what we don?t know, and what this means for people getting the shots.

When will the Pfizer vaccine be ready for authorization?
It will be several more weeks at the earliest, because researchers and regulators still need to make sure the shot is safe. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has said it wants to see two months? worth of safety outcomes after vaccination for at least half...

That's as far as I could get without paying

Meanwhile in this morning's NYT brief

Yesterday's Virus Counts. per NYT
TOTAL REPORTED ON NOV. 8 14-DAY CHANGE
Cases 10 million - - - - - - 103,657 - - - - - - +59%
Deaths 238,031 - - - - - - - - - -464  - - - - - -+14%

It is a 2 stage vaccine so you get 2 shots, I think 3 weeks apart. Interesting to see how it works.

The two rounds of shots 3 weeks apart is going to be a real logistical challenge in many rural areas.  How do you handle this in areas where people may not be able to show up on the scheduled distribution dates due to work or other obligations.  Take the town of 10,000 people where I live, where for the last several months free public drivethru covid testing has been available at best for 4 hours every Wednesday morning.  Sure I know this will be on a bigger scale than testing, I just worry about all the issues with social distancing then you have hundreds or possibly thousands of standing in line to get injections, which if hurricane response, etc. is anything to go by will mean they will run out before 1/4 of the people in line make it trough.  Potentially turning these vaccination programs into super spreader events.

Isaac-1 said:
The two rounds of shots 3 weeks apart is going to be a real logistical challenge in many rural areas.  How do you handle this in areas where people may not be able to show up on the scheduled distribution dates due to work or other obligations.
Add to that the complication that it will almost surely be large vaccination centers since there are huge logistical issues with materials requiring near -100F temps. I know the logistics folks have been working on this, but each vaccine has its own storage temperature, and they definitely aren?t the same. I figure we will be in group 3 after health personnel and the seriously ill. It may or may not come before we head back to Iowa in the spring. It sure would be easier to get it while we were there instead of AZ or CA.

Oldgator73 said:
Our son in law informed us this afternoon he tested positive for COVID 19. I spent the weekend with him and our son down in Virginia. My wife has also been in contact with him since we have the grandkids while mom and dad are at work. Public Health is supposed to be contacting us tomorrow.

I'm so sorry to hear that. Best wishes!!!

SpencerPJ said:
I saw on nightly local news, it would get rolled out to nursing homes, then elderly, then healthcare workers.  I get the flu shot yearly, but If our Govt gets involved I'm but not sure I will be in that line for the Kool Aid.  I will say, there are a few promising things in the works.  Stay safe, wear your masks.

FYI - The military logistics has been heading up the distribution planning. They can implement immediately when given the "go."

IBTripping said:
FYI - The military logistics has been heading up the distribution planning. They can implement immediately when given the "go."
Not completely. Our state university hospital has been planning distribution too. They are part of the Phizer test group. They have been recruiting and monitoring test candidates in addition to planning the distribution in conjunction with state public health officials. The announcements I have seen regarding the Phizer vaccine distribution didn?t mention military or government action, not that it means they weren?t involved. But it definitely is more than one agency.

Oldgator73 said:
Hope you are all ok!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom