Eek, I done it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob&Deryl

I put a deposit down on a 2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS on Sunday subject to an inspection. Yikes.

It is in very good condition. Single person owner. Summers in the Adirondacks & winters in Southern California.
No signs of leaks. Had license plate on as was intended for use again next year. COVID parked it for this winter.

We made a list of things needing attention. Some, the owner said will be fixed by the dealer storing the trailer. Others are minor that we can take care of.

The DW and I drove up, met the owner, checked it out gave a deposit and drove home... 740 miles. We finally got out of the house and stayed overnight in Plattsburgh Saturday and in the middle of Adirondack park Sunday.

Tomorrow I will set up an inspection.

Storage is all paid for the winter so I can collect it when I want in the spring. Now I need to choose a hitch and figure out how to remove my truck bed topper and store it.

Yikes

Thanks. Very scary since it is big purchase.
We are new to this but have been studying for years and we have camped in tents and in our modified utility trailer/toy hauler.

We used the checklist in the library to rule out a major disqualification and now need a pro to confirm.

The owner was very transparent and thought a professional inspection was a good idea. The owner called the dealer today to let them know about the inspection.

Oh that's really exciting news! I'm so happy for you guys.

Glad you used the inspection information and it sounds like the seller is a decent person.

Looking forward to seeing the photos.

Safe travels.

Well, been a while...

We did get a professional inspection. No major items found.

Today, we bought the trailer. Yay!

We do have a few little things to fix but all are minor.

The trailer will stay where it is till spring. We will likely go up to get it in mid April depending on when we can get into an acceptable campground for a few weeks to maybe a month. After that we have more choices since more places open up in May.

Very excited! We had champagne in acrylic flutes in the trailer this afternoon in 35 degree rain. Lol
I took the battery home with me.

Lynx0849

A number of years ago I was faced with the same dilemma as you about removing/storing your PU topper.

I made some measurements and made a 4 point lifting device operated by a hand powered boat winch, Some air craft cable/snatch blocks/ hooks, mounted 4 eye bolts in the 4 corners of the topper. Then I drilled 4 holes in the topper mounting flange for alignment pins. I could drive the PU into the garage, remove the hold down clamps, hookup the lifting apparatus and it would clear the cab of the PU.

After seeing the topper higher than the PU cab I made a couple of straps as a safety device.

When you guys say PU topper I assume you?re talking about a pickup cap. Is that right? I had a truck years ago and was able to load it and unload it by myself but it was safer with 2 people. I?d unbolt it from the truck then slowly slide it towards the rear until it got to the point of center of balance . Then I was able to lower the back end down onto a couple of 2 X 4?s I had placed on the ground just so the handle would not be on the ground. Now it would be in a vertical position. Then I?d move the truck away then lower it down on a couple more 2 X 4?s. Just reverse the process to put it back on.

Back
Top Bottom