How to best stabilize the travel trailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

USSkoval

My newly acquired travel trailer is currently being used as a guest house. My sister in law is staying in it, along with her two kids. She complains that she gets motion sickness while laying in bed and the kids are up moving around. I already know that when we go out camping, my wife will probably complain of the same thing. What does everyone do to minimize movement while parked? I have all four jacks down, along with the tongue jack too and the camper is sitting level, but apparently it still moves a bit.

We had the same problem. I installed the x-chocks when we are to stay anywhere for more than a night. They are a pain to setup/remove for one night.

https://www.amazon.com/X-Chock-Wheel-Stabilizer-Handle-28012/dp/B002XLHUQG/ref=sr_1_2?crid=YOSGFNE03LHM&dchild=1&keywords=super+grip+chock+wheel+stabilizers+for+tandem-axle+trailers+and+rvs&qid=1605405817&sprefix=Super+Grip+Chock+Wheel+Stabilizer+for+Tandem-Axle+Trailers+and+RVs+%2Caps%2C487&sr=8-2

Those X-chocks look like the ticket, thanks.

The kids aren't rowdy, but the sister in law certainly is sensitive. I'm positive I could sleep all night just fine, lol. But my wife is a bit finicky at times too, so if I can get it set up so the sister in law is perfectly happy, my wife will be happy too.

The only way you?re going to make it so that she?s happy is by putting it on blocks. 2 in the front, 2 in the back and most importantly is 2 in the middle. What?s probably happening is the frame is flexing in the middle so I don?t believe those wheel chocks will do much good.

X2. Look how a mobile home is blocked to eliminate vertical spring bounce. The springs are doing what they are supposed to do. Bounce around.

I use them and they do help to reduce the motion when moving around in the trailer..

That said.......

I do agree that the blocks would likely stop any motion but would be a pain to setup for normal camping. The end goal as I understand was to find a solution that will make his wife happy when camping.

Another thought to reduce motion....

Use blocks of wood under the current stabilizer jacks. A 2" X 12" X 12" block of wood will give more support than the small footprint of the jacks.

We have a travel trailer parked permanently on a mountain lot for family and friends (and us) and we are not allowed to put it on blocks. What works for our group is a combination of screw Jack stands and the x chocks. The chocks prevent the tire motion (front to back roll) and the screw jacks (6) placed under the frame members take the load off the axle springs, which will greatly reduce trailer bounce. If you use the screw jacks be sure to provide a good solid base between the bottom of the Jack and the dirt or gravel if not placed on a paved surface. Crank the jacks up until the trailer tires barely touch the ground. You may have to add an additional step platform for entry steps as the last step to the ground will be high.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 8
Motorhomes must be more stable since I've never used anything. Never used levelers either. I think I moved my pillow to the other side of the bed once. As long as the refrigerator runs I'm good. LOL

I know exactly what you mean!
When we traveled in our trailer; along with the stabilizers I used jack stands. They are fairly cheap and stack so they don't take up too much room.
Now we have a 37 foot long trailer in a permanent place and I have it on concrete blocks. Three sets on each side and all leveled with shims and two sets under each end of the slide. It is rock solid.
Last year one day we had extended  35 mph gusts and it  never shook, but then again I have three hurricane tie downs on each side.

Jack L

We found a significant improvement with the X Chocks, but they weren?t a complete solution. Installing screw jacks like regval recommended is better for long term. We only did short term in the trailer, so we just lived with it.

X-chocks on the tandem axle wheels will stop an amazing amount of suspension movement. Whether it's enough for a sensitive person is anybody's guess. If not, the alternative is to block up the frame rails with real jack or jack stands, actually lifting the weight off the trailer suspension.  You could jack it up with a floor jack and slide wood or concrete blocks underneath, or buy jack stands at a place like Harbor Freight or an automotive store.

In all cases, make sure the ground under the jack/block is firm. The ground always settles after a day or two with weight on it (you probably have that problem now), and adjusting often only solves the problem for another few days before it settles once again. A flat pad of some sort to spread the weight is often necessary. A thick 16x16 plywood pad or some such.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=x-chock+wheel+stabilizer+-+pair

TheBar said:
Has anyone used triangulating stabilizer bars like these? These supposedly stop horizontal movement like x-chocks plus stop side sway. Unless you have really high dollar stabilizer jacks you can push repeatedly on the back of an RV and have some side sway. Like in a gusty wind.

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jacks/Lippert-Components/LC191025.html?feed=npn
I have the Strong Arm kit installed on my 5th wheel camper. It improved the stability both vertically and horizontally over just the crank down rear stabilizers. Movement is not entirely eliminated no matter what the advertisement indicates.

I asked her what kind of movement she is feeling in the camper, she described it as a 'wishy washy feeling like on a boat. It's my assumption that the trailer is rocking fore-aft a bit and maybe some frame flex too, like was mentioned.

So currently, all four jacks are down as well as the tongue jack. All five of those are sitting on 8"x8" blocks of wood, each being 12" long. It's been maybe 5 days since I set them up, a couple times I have cranked on the jacks a bit more, assuming that the blocks had settled. The first time, they had obviously settled in the ground some. The second time, I couldn't really get much more out of them. Well, obviously I could have cranked up the tongue jack more, but I just have it set to keep some load on it.

So it sounds like X-chocks and some screw-type stands in the mid section of the trailer may be the simplest way to go.

TheBar said:
Has anyone used triangulating stabilizer bars like these? These supposedly stop horizontal movement like x-chocks plus stop side sway. Unless you have really high dollar stabilizer jacks you can push repeatedly on the back of an RV and have some side sway. Like in a gusty wind.

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jacks/Lippert-Components/LC191025.html?feed=npn

After much research and talking to people, I chose the Steady Fast system. In my opinion, it?s the best way to get rid of most if not so the bounce and I can set it up in about 30 seconds. I made a couple of modifications to mine and passed them on to Mr. Hanscome the inventor. He was going to look into incorporating at least one of my ideas.

A different twist from a security perspective. I'm pretty good at feeling vibration and my hearing is pretty good but when it comes to smelling, my dog can smell 500 times better than me. The down side is you get doggy germs on your face occasionally. LOL

https://smallpetselect.com/how-strong-is-a-dogs-sense-of-smell/

X-Chock is great at reducing almost all of the back and forth rocking of my TT. Using a pair works best. I experimented with using only one. It worked fine, but utilizing two is the best way to go. Remember that these aren't meant to replace the traditional wheel chocks. Speaking of, using these in conjunction with heavy duty rubber chocks that you can tap with a small rubber mallet to get a snug bite on your tires works excellent. Buy these if you are still undecided. They work very well.

I recently had the same problem when moving into my Coachman Clipper Travel Trailer. I purchased some inexpensive Aluminum Stands. A set of four from Amazon was $32 bucks + Free Shipping. Then after installing those I noticed a bouncing when walking up the metal step. Apparently a common thing and Amazon also sells the perfect Step Stabilizer I purchased for $12 bucks. I sured up the four aluminum stabilizers with four $2 half cinder blocks from Home Depot and some stones I had. Two 1/4-20 screws with bolts for the Step Stabilizer, because it was shifting on me after a week or two. It was a very inexpensive fix and a year later i haven't noticed and movement at all while walking around inside. I'd swear I was on a concrete foundation. I've attached several pics to give you a better idea. Hope this helps. BTW: My Walmart actually had the four Aluminum Stabilizers in the RV Section for $2 more if you need them in a hurry

Attachments

• levelers1.jpg
    levelers1.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 22
  • levelers2.jpg
    levelers2.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 17
  • levelers3.jpg
    levelers3.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 17
  • levelers4.png
    levelers4.png