COOL, LOW HUMIDITY SUMMER PARK NEEDED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Don B

My sweet wife has developed a lung problem, pulmonary fibrosis. We are veteran RV'ers but need suggestions on a place we could spend the summer. We live in South Georgia...hot and humid all sumer. we are both still active and would like to find a place where there are nearby places of interest to visit. thanks for your help

Depending on how far away you wish to travel, we have spent parts of 3 summers on Prince Edward Island.  The temperature rarely gets to 80, the people are wonderful and the seafood is to die for!  I'd be glad to share more specifics if you have an interest.

We?ve spent the last two summers in northern Michigan and found the weather delightful.  The Leelanau Peninsula has much to see and do. The Upper Peninsula (UP), more remote.  This last summer we also wandered around upper Wisconsin and Minnesota... Iowa and Nebraska some as well. All staying well north and temps/humidity was pleasant.  But to stay planted, we would find a place in northern Michigan for sure.

Nearby places that are cool and dry in the summer are going to be in short supply.  For cool you need to either go north or go up in altitude, though with your wife's lung issues I don't know if altitude is an option.  My wife has a medical condition where is sensitive to becoming overheated, so I too end up looking for cooler places to go in the summers.  For us here in south western Louisiana, that tends to mean at least a thousand miles of driving each way to places in the rocky mountains.

The Western NC and eastern Tennesee mountain region isn't far from you and has generally pleasant summer temps compared to most of the southeast. Asheville, Hendersonville, Cherokee, Pigeon Forge, etc. Most anywhere in the Great Smokies and above 2000 ft altitude.  Should still be low enough to avoid lung (oxygen) issues yet high enough to stay cooler and dryer than your home area.
If higher altitude is a no-go for her, you are probably looking at Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont or northern NY. Not exactly close to you.

Cool low humidity pretty much dictates someplace west of the rockies and north of I80. Montana, Dakotas would be good choices.

docj said:
Depending on how far away you wish to travel, we have spent parts of 3 summers on Prince Edward Island.  The temperature rarely gets to 80, the people are wonderful and the seafood is to die for!  I'd be glad to share more specifics if you have an interest.

thank you so much for the reply. This is someplace we've wanted to go for some time. Can you give me the names of a few RV parks you're familiar with? Thanks loads

Don B said:
My sweet wife has developed a lung problem, pulmonary fibrosis. We are veteran RV'ers but need suggestions on a place we could spend the summer. We live in South Georgia...hot and humid all sumer. we are both still active and would like to find a place where there are nearby places of interest to visit. thanks for your help
Sorry to hear about the problem. For a realey dry climate take a trip to Albuquerque,
New Mexico or Santa Fe, New Mexico. One time the shop keepers in Santa Fe were complaining about the "hi humidity" because it was up to 14%
I would also look at the Flagstaff, Arizona area. I don't  like southern AZ because it tends to be to hot for me in the summer. One trip we were in Tucson, Arizona and it was 112 and the weather forecast a "warming trend" at the same time they said it would be 74 in Flagstaff. We decided there was stuff we needed  to see  in Flagstaff.
Bill 

Don B said:
thank you so much for the reply. This is someplace we've wanted to go for some time. Can you give me the names of a few RV parks you're familiar with? Thanks loads

PEI is much larger and the culture more diverse than one might imagine at first.  The winding roads and low speed limits make it difficult to effectively tour the entire island from one location.  A good starting point might be the KOA near Charlottetown, the capital.  There's plenty of stuff to see in and around the city and you aren't all that far from Summerside, the other major population center which has a number of sights worth seeing.  And from there you can also access the Anne of Green Gables stuff in Cavendish.  You're still a rather long drive from the western side of the island but we did daytrips all the way out to the western-most end.

We spent several weeks doing all of that the first time we were on the island.  Although we found it to be fun, that part of the island is full of tourists and we wanted to meet "real" islanders.  So one day we picked an RV park on the southeast corner of the island and decided to try it.  We have been glad ever since that we did. 

The east side of the island has vey few tourists, by comparison, principally because there aren't many large attractions.  It's mostly just rolling farmland and wonderful people.  Last summer we spent several months at the Seal Cove Campground (https://www.sealcovecampground.ca/) where we now have lots of good friends.  It's not fancy (at all) and some might argue that the sites are too close, etc.  But it's a family CG on a peaceful river run by a delightful young couple.  Almost all the seasonal campers are people from the island.  It might sound strange to outsiders, but many (most?) PEI residents  summer on their own island!  From spending time with them we've learned a tremendous amount about PEI, its culture and its people.

Some Americans get bored on PEI because there isn't enough to do.  OTOH if you enjoy low-key concerts there are ceilidhs (informal "kitchen" concerts) all over the island on most nights. That's how you really get to know the people and the culture iMO

FWIW, some people get freaked out about the bridge toll to get to PEI.  Yes, it costs us >$60 (CAD) to go across the bridge with the MH, but you only pay it on the way out.  If you take the ferry from NS it will cost more but you also only pay the fare as you leave.  So the trick is to take the ferry to PEI and to use the bridge to leave!

Covid will probably still have the border closed and PEI is in Canada.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom