rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Slide out 'roof' awning.  (Read 259 times)

Suziq99

• ---
  • If it aint broke, don't fix it.
Slide out 'roof' awning.
« on: November 16, 2020, 05:52:18 AM »
We are in the process of revamping & re sealing our little slide out, now I'm torn between replacing the awning with Acrylic, that would breath & dry faster or a plastic/vinyl that may sweat but definitly be 100% waterproof.
As the slide out is our primary bed I guess the vinyl would be the way to go, any thought's on this.
This is a DIY job, but I do marine canvas work so have some ideas  ;D

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Slide out 'roof' awning.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 09:52:29 AM »
The awning over the slide (called a slide "topper" has nothing to do with keeping water out - it's strictly a debris shield. The topper catches leaves and branches that could jam in the slide seals or get pulled inside as the slide retracts. Acrylic, vinyl or even canvas works fine. Take your pick.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Domo

• ---
  • 2008 Tiffin 36QSH - Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 10:43:17 AM »
The awning over the slide (called a slide "topper" has nothing to do with keeping water out - it's strictly a debris shield. The topper catches leaves and branches that could jam in the slide seals or get pulled inside as the slide retracts. Acrylic, vinyl or even canvas works fine. Take your pick.

Listen to Gary +1
2008 Tiffin 36QSH
2017 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
BlueOx tow bar and base plate
Roadmaster Brakemaster

Light travels faster than sound...
                                     that's why some people seem so bright before they open their mouths!

Suziq99

• ---
  • If it aint broke, don't fix it.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 10:49:12 AM »

:))

Thanks.

donn

• ---
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 11:30:53 AM »
Technically Gary is right and wrong.  Slide toppere serve 2 purposes.  Well actually 3
1, debris off the slide roof.
2. Help keep the slide room cooler
3. They actually do help keep water off the slide room roof.
All of thes things usually get into the RV as you close the slide room.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 02:15:50 PM »
Water gets onto the slide roof whether it has a topper or not.  Slanting or wind-driven rain readily reaches the slide roof thru the open ends, and it does not rely on the topper for waterproofing.  Many lower-priced RVs don't come with toppers at all.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 11:54:23 AM »
Be careful  with categoric statements. While the topper is not primarily to prevent leaks, in the case of my Journey a failure of the topper can flood the motor home. It happened to me! The reason is that both of the large slides in the living area have an approximately 10 inch square cutout in the center of the slide roof with a raised lip (about two inches high) to provide clearance for the slide lock. Remove the topper and it rains in.  :(

Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2020 Jeep Gladiator - Pun'kin
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)- Sold
2006 Jeep Wrangler

donn

• ---
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 12:12:33 PM »
Be careful  with categoric statements. While the topper is not primarily to prevent leaks, in the case of my Journey a failure of the topper can flood the motor home. It happened to me! The reason is that both of the large slides in the living area have an approximately 10 inch square cutout in the center of the slide roof with a raised lip (about two inches high) to provide clearance for the slide lock. Remove the topper and it rains in.  :(

Ernie

Yea. Contrary to what Gary says I have been in some really bad storms over the years.  13 years with 3 slide rooms and narry a drop of water inside or on the slide room roofs.  The only times I regretted having them is in high winds.  They can flap around a lot, or get completely torn off.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 12:21:12 PM by donn »

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 03:12:31 PM »

Ernie

Yep. A windstorm last spring pulled the topper on our large slide out of rhe rail. We got a lot of water in. Fortunately,  we were in the coach with lots of towels.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y
2018 Ford Edge SEL
Air Force One towed brakes
Blue Ox towed setup