More panic buying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Panic buying again, as we dive into repeated Covid restrictions. Chris and I hit the olde fartes early shopping hour at Costco yesterday. A limited number of shoppers and good precautions. Folks are clearly buying paper products (TP and paper towels), causing Costco to re-impose "one per customer" limits.

I don't see the reasoning, we can still go to the supermarket but of course people are not reasonable. ::) The stores can impose limits but customers will make multiple trips or send other family members in. One Canadian politician suggested mandatory shoppers cards but it didn't fly.

All I see these shutdowns accomplishing is to ensure a mass crowd of people will collect at one time to clean out whatever stores the state allows to stay open.  Saturday morning at Lowes is a super spreader event if I've ever seen one, but churches get busted if they have more than 10 people inside.  This is crazy.

I had grand plans to get one more camping trip in over the thanksgiving weekend but all state parks summarily got closed until December.  Because so many people catch covid camping up in the mountains.  Maybe I can find a private park with some available (reduced) space.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Tom said:
Panic buying again, as we dive into repeated Covid restrictions. Chris and I hit the olde fartes early shopping hour at Costco yesterday. A limited number of shoppers and good precautions. Folks are clearly buying paper products (TP and paper towels), causing Costco to re-impose "one per customer" limits.

Why would anyone need more than one large roll of TP from Costco? 

Last spring when the Stuff hit the fan I had just gotten an order of 36 Rolls delivered from Boxed dot com.. I think the panic started like 2 days later and I still had a couple of six packs left over from the last order..  (I reordered cause TP is not the only thing in the box and i was out of the other stuff.

Well They no longer offer that package. they switched to a 24 JUMBO roll pack supposed to be equal to 96 of the regular rolls .. and it was delivered last week.  I think my timing is    Rather good

Oh and I have lots and lots of paper towels too.

John From Detroit said:
Last spring when the Stuff hit the fan I had just gotten an order of 36 Rolls delivered from Boxed dot com..

I had never heard of this company so I went to there site. Most of their paper goods were also out of stock. I didn?t need any but I was just curious. You did good buying when you did.
I needed some TP and some PT the other day so I went to our local Sam?s Club. They were already out of the brand name?s but still had their brand. Members Choice. I?m not rv?ing so this brand of TP works for me. I?ve got enough of both to last all winter until I head north.

There are many things to enjoy pertaining to the freedoms provided with the full-timing lifestyle. Having the ability to stockpile, over a period of years, materials needed to maintain a semi-comfortable lifestyle ain?t one of those!

This is one of several reasons that we are not, nor will be full-timers. I cannot fathom knowing that I have the inability to store sufficient commodities ( food, medicines, dry goods, cleaning supplies, tools, ect.) needed to sustain life. It is comforting to know that we can grow food, and have adequate supplies for several years!  memtb

Yesterday was our shopping run.  Sam's club had zero TP & PT.  Supermarket was rationing tapioca to one box.  Hardware store had a sign saying that RV anti-freeze is in short supply, buy now if you need it.

I still don't get the TP thing but being down to 4-rolls I decided to check the shelf at WM as I was there for something else - down to about 30 packs of TP total with a sign limiting to 2 packs per customer.

I bought 2 4-packs which will probably last my house 6 months - LOL...

Didn't think to check paper towels...

I was told by a friend of mine that of all the items we purchase at a retail store that TP has one of the most streamlined "end to end" supply chain processes between the raw material, manufacture, shipping, stocking, and purchase because the buying pattern is so consistent.  If there is an unexpected surge in demand that process isn't easily scaled up.  So, if people are stocking up supplies at a store and TP is one of them, the TP is one of the first items to have empty shelves.

I have heard it is a control issue. We don't have control over the virus, but we can feel some control over certain parts of our lives by hording items such as food and paper products.

Rene T said:
I needed some TP and some PT the other day so I went to our local Sam?s Club. They were already out of the brand name?s but still had their brand. Members Choice. I?m not rv?ing so this brand of TP works for me. I?ve got enough of both to last all winter until I head north.

Interesting tidbit.  A few years back during the RVForum Quartzsite rally , we did a "scientific study" on  toilet paper.  Using red cups of carefully measured water,  a blind test was conducted to see how quickly 2 squares of TP would dissolve.  Sam's Brand Members Mark came out the winner by several seconds...It has remained  my TP of Choice  over all of these years both in our house and in the RV. I will however accept substitute brands when needed!

We installed a bidet at home in April or May. I had wanted one for a while, but Kevin had to be bored enough at home to get around to finding and installing one. They were in short supply for a while too. Lovely! In fact, he likes it so much he asked if he could install one in the RV. Of course I said ?Yes!? Maybe we won?t use it while dry camping, but we stay in spots with water hookups often enough that it will get used. There are some advantages of staying at home for so long - longs of updates around the house and the motorhome.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom