rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 942 times)

Oldgator73

• ---
Re: COVID-19
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2020, 07:37:09 PM »
Having lived in the UK 32 years, I never used or heard that term, but have heard/read it uttered by family members the last few years.

According to Miriam Webster dictionary the first known use was in 1956. Origin is British. We lived in a village just outside Cambridge but I worked with folks from all over the UK. The term was not heard everyday but if it was said those in the room understood its meaning.
Retired Air Force
Retired DoD Chief, Education & Training
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife
Do you know the difference between Education and Training: Would you rather your daughter take sex Education or sex Training?

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2020, 07:44:14 PM »
Yes, we understood, but it wasn't part of our vernacular.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2020, 07:58:12 PM »
Yes, we understood, but it wasn't part of our vernacular.

In the south (of the US) we have a term “Bless your heart”. In the north folks don’t understand the meaning.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife
Do you know the difference between Education and Training: Would you rather your daughter take sex Education or sex Training?

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2020, 08:07:33 PM »
We do.

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2020, 09:37:09 PM »
British Columbia went on two week (for now at least) lockdown today but the rules are a little vague. My girlfriend's sister is due to fly to Calgary tomorrow but we don't know if the flight will be leaving, Lynda may drive her as long as the pass is clear but I'm not happy with that. Social gatherings are limited to household members so she can't visit her parents! We both live alone so are allowed a 'bubble' of one or two people but we don't know if I will be allowed in her apartment building. Plus the hot water heater quit yesterday and the landlord is away, they will only hire someone from their church. This whole thing sucks!!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 09:43:48 PM by Roy M »

Ex-Calif

• ---
  • Dan from Dayton...
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2020, 05:00:12 AM »
  Identify the risk groups then let people decide *and accept responsibility for* their degree of risk tolerance by choosing in what ways they socially interact.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

A lot of your post is about degree and application - Method is the same - distance and masks.  Once we agree distance and masks works then we can talk about degree.

The problem with letting people decide their method of interaction is then it all breaks down.  Some folks decide block parties and beach parties and large gatherings are OK for them and those attendees unwittingly infect a bunch of people who did not attend the gathering.

Because as everyone keeps saying - it's not about you. It's about who you infect.

There are a ton of low risk activities. But it boils down to people density.

Hospitals again are being overwhelmed and the front line workers are the most at risk.  With a vaccine just around the corner bending the curve down again is absolutely the right thing to do.

"Marvin" - 1997 Georgie Boy Pursuit 3150 - P30 Chev 454
Various classic MGBs
Ex-liveaboard boater - Class A newbie in sponge mode

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2020, 05:12:51 AM »
Having lived in the UK 32 years, I never used or heard that term, but have heard/read it uttered by family members the last few years.
I never lived or visited the UK (not yet at least) and i have heard the term a lot of times.

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Phormer Phantom Phixer
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2020, 06:49:49 AM »
In the south (of the US) we have a term “Bless your heart”. In the north folks don’t understand the meaning.

One of the first things I learned after moving to Arkansas from California 28 years ago.   ;D
Wally Crow
Retired 30+ year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53   "Kobayashi Maru"
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
FMCA F494768

"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."

Tom55555

• ---
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2020, 07:25:40 AM »
Because as everyone keeps saying - it's not about you. It's about who you infect.

Ditto
2015 Winnebago 22R

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2020, 07:50:56 AM »
Quote from: SeilerBird
... i have heard the term a lot of times.

I lived a sheltered life  :)

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2020, 08:07:01 AM »
I certainly feel that this virus is real, at least five acquaintances of mine have died of it, most of which were otherwise in fair health, in their 60's, 70's and 80's.  This includes a cousin of mine, as well as one of my best friends inlaws.  Many others have been hospitalized, put on ventilators, and are going through long drawn out recoveries.  Early on back in March or April multiple members of the local high school faculty became infected, one older teacher (in his 70's) and the high school principal (in his 40's, but a very large man) both ended up on ventilators, and the teachers wife died, the principal was on a ventilator for 2-3 weeks and I think is still home recovering, the other teacher was on a ventilator until September, and last I heard is still in the hospital.

This does not count others that I know of indirectly, my wife had a recently retired co-worker that died of Covid back in April, and another of my wife's coworker's husbands died of it this summer.

I have never known five people that were otherwise generally healthy die of the flu in one year.  Sure there has been the odd flu death now and then, a guy I went to high school with died of H1N1, back when that was going around a decade ago, he went into the hospital and died within 3 hours.  So stuff like that does happen, but this is something new, and on a completely new scale for anyone alive today.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 08:15:57 AM by Isaac-1 »
2002 Safari Trek 2830

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2020, 08:17:20 AM »
You can say anything you want about someone as long as you add “Bless his/her heart” at the end.
Tom & Theresa
2004 Pace Arrow 37C, Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec
2014 Honda CR-V Toad, Roadmaster -5 Base and tow bar
SMI Stay and Play Duo Brake system

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2020, 08:24:29 AM »
You can say anything you want about someone as long as you add “Bless his/her heart” at the end.

If someone says “Well bless your heart”. Don’t take it as a compliment or term of endearment.  8)
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

Tom55555

• ---
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2020, 05:45:24 AM »
The United States government gave Pfizer 2 billion to fast track the vaccine... well it's finished and over 96% effective and will produce 20 million doses a month. Not sure why we have to wait until December 10th for approval.

The plan is to give it to senior citizens and first responders first then prioritize based on health. Although my daughter isn't a first responder she does genetic code at Children's Hospital so someone must think she's very essential because she's on the list to get the first batch.

Only in America. As usual, we have to save the world.

NOTE: Taking two, one a day vitamins is 77% effective. You need the Vitamin D and Zinc. Don't take me wrong, I love President Trump but I'm pretty sure his BMI is over 30% and he's 72 two years old and he was back to work in a couple days. He's a tough old bird, never drank or smoked either which helps. He only sleeps like 4 hours a day.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 09:03:29 AM by Tom55555 »
2015 Winnebago 22R

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Phormer Phantom Phixer
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2020, 06:07:11 AM »
If someone says “Well bless your heart”. Don’t take it as a compliment or term of endearment.  8)

I actually used that on the phone a couple of months ago.  A lady had called regarding a reservation for a wedding venue being cancelled.  I explained that the Forest Service wasn't letting us having wedding parties bigger than 10 people(she was having 125 guests).  She read me the riot act for 10 minutes and wouldn't except my explanation that I had to abide by FS rules.  Went into a rant similar to what we're seeing on the news recently.
As I finally got her off the phone, I told her, "bless  your heart, Karen."  and then hung up. 
No idea if her name was really Karen.
Wally Crow
Retired 30+ year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53   "Kobayashi Maru"
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
FMCA F494768

"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2020, 08:56:31 AM »
The United States government gave Pfizer 2 billion to fast track the vaccine... well it's finished and over 96% effective and will produce 20 million doses a month.

The plan is to give it to senior citizens and first responders first then prioritize based on health. Although my daughter isn't a first responder she does genetic code at Children's Hospital so someone must think she's very essential because she's on the list to get the first batch.

Only in America. As usual, we have to save the world.

NOTE: Taking two, one a day vitamins is 77% effective. You need the Vitamin D and Zinc. Don't take me wrong, I love President Trump but I'm pretty sure his BMI is over 30% and he's 72 two years old and he was back to work in a couple days. He's a tough old bird, never drank or smoked either which helps. He only sleeps like 4 hours a day.
The US did not fund the development of the Pfizer vaccine; the $2B is the cost of buying doses of the vaccine. The German government was the primary funding source for the development. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-11-09/pfizer-vaccine-s-funding-came-from-berlin-not-washington
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:26:54 AM by Ken & Sheila »
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
https://toobusyforwork.com

Tom55555

• ---
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2020, 09:12:17 AM »
The US did not find the development of the Pfizer vaccine; the $2B is the cost of buying doses of the vaccine. The German government was the primary funding source for the development. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-11-09/pfizer-vaccine-s-funding-came-from-berlin-not-washington

I'm sure the two billion dollars didn't hurt. LOL
2015 Winnebago 22R

Lowell

• ---
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2020, 09:50:28 AM »
TDon't take me wrong, I love President Trump but I'm pretty sure his BMI is over 30% and he's 72 two years old and he was back to work in a couple days. He's a tough old bird, never drank or smoked either which helps. He only sleeps like 4 hours a day.

Bless his heart!
Lowell
Currently without a trailer
2009 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab 4X4
KF7YET

Tempe, Arizona

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2020, 09:50:48 AM »
We are paying $20/dose if I did the math right. Many other governments are paying equivalent prices; it is certainly not just for the US.
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
https://toobusyforwork.com

Tom55555

• ---
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2020, 11:13:00 AM »
The polio vaccine took many years to develop. President Trump might have bullied some people but that's why I like him. He gets stuff done and probably why 73 million people voted for him.
2015 Winnebago 22R

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2020, 11:16:44 AM »
The polio vaccine took many years to develop. President Trump might have bullied some people but that's why I like him. He gets stuff done and probably why 73 million people voted for him.

But 80 million voted for the other guy. Trump didn’t have anything to do with Phizer developing the vaccine. As a matter of fact he is pissed at them for announcing the drug is ready after the election.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2020, 11:26:05 AM »
We're starting down the slippery slope, so I've locked the topic.