looking at buying first Class A, actually first RV...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamG

Hey folks I have been lurking here for quite awhile doing research a reading a lot.  We think we have found the RV we want to buy, 1989 Class A pace arrow 32' Very clean inside and out.  Test drive was great, smooth and easy to control. 
The thing I am wondering about is that when we hit a rough spot in the road the steering wheel would shake quite a bit.  It didnt affect the RV tracking straight, or much of anything except the wheel, and steering column were shaking like crazy. 
Any thoughts on a cause?
Need more info?
Thanks,
Adam G

Is the MH on a FORD F 53 chassis.  This was a common problem with them.  The usual solution was to get an alignment, possibly change the shocks, add a Davis Tru-Trac Bar and possibly even a Safe-T--Plus steering damper.

I thnk that is the chassis.  It has a 454 so that would make sense.  Right now I know it does not have a SS.  I am not sure about the application of a trac bar on an IFS rig, assume it just leverages off the frame to keep things squared away.  The alignment should be pretty simple, same with the shocks. 
Thanks for the response, doesnt sound like a deal breaker by any means.
Adam G

If it has a 454 it is on a GM chassis, probably the P30, same as my 35'. Generally the shimmy means that there is looseness in the front suspension caused by worn tie rods or bellcranks. Before buying I would definitely have the front end looked at and get a price for repairs.

Woody

OK.  Yeah I shouldnt post on the internet so close to bed time...  The steering stabilizer is one high dollar setup...  The good part is that I am DIY Jeep guy so suspension is no biggie.  I think the current price is pretty good, they are asking 10K, once I hear back from the bank and can go back I will try to get them down to around 9500, that ought to cover the cost of replacing maintenence items.
Thanks,
Adam G

I'd be more to offer $8000 or less   It's not worth 89 according to NADA  You take the low price and deduct  and never add anything is the rule of thumb     FWIW  IMO

I wouldn't pay $10k for an 89 either,  though that is getting near the rock bottom for a still serviceable motorhome. Thing is, there is a huge exposure to very expensive repairs.  The front end on those old P30s wasn't much when it was new (sloppy bell crank, mediocre quality components) and the air bags are usually shot by this time. The auto park brake is a constant source of problems and the tranny on an motorhome of this vintage is often extremely tired - they weren't really up to the loads and temperatures typically placed on them.  Cracked exhaust manifolds is another common problem. Then there are tires, belts and hoses (all usually old and in need of replacement simply due to age), maybe a fridge (a $2000 item).

I'd wait if I had to but try to get at least a few years newer - maybe a 92-93 Pace or the very similar Southwind. Should be able to get one for about $15-18k.

I agree with Gary.  except I wouldn't even give $8000 with the seller replacing all tires with new ones.  I is very likely the tires are more than 6 or 7 years old  which is the maximum a tire is considered serviceable.  One could expect $5000 of repairs etc including tires at the very least.  I recommend passing on this one and look for something newer for near the same price.

You guys have good points, and I appreciate the input.  Problem is our budget is pretty well locked in, as we dont want large payments.  With that in mind and after looking at quite a few online and a couple in person this unit appears to the best we have seen.  I am fully aware it is probably going to need work in the not too distant future.  I will say that the steering is tight, the tires are good going by the age codes, the engine sounds great no exhaust leaks, the belts are newer (no cracking), Dash AC blows cold all bells and whistles work, has awnings on all the windows, and about 58K miles.  Having spent the last two months watching auctions on Ebay and checking out units at local dealerships ($$$) the wife and I both feel good about it.  Of course I would love to get a Diesel, but I dont have that kind of scratch...

People seem to be saying that 8K is a better price, but the units I have seen at that price seem to be in need of more serious and immediate work. 
Of course as the winter draws nearer prices seem to be falling, so if we pass on this one chanes are pretty good that more folks wil be trying to dump RV's as the off season draws nearer,  we shall see.
Thanks,
Adam G

To give you an idea I bought my 93 Pace 4 years ago (2003) for $26,900. It had 52,000 miles on it, brand new Dometic fridge, and a new main awning and 5 individual awnings for the windows. New airbags, alternator, and all tires were less than 3 years old, spare was brand new. Previous owner had full documentation for everything including sales slips and even had the original brochure when it was bought new.
Over the last four years the only thing I have had to do was replace the master brake cylinder, repair the furnace for damage caused by a wasp nest, and replace a leveler spring that I broke through carelessness, and add a rear view camera. All told I've spent around $3,000 but most was for normal wear and tear.

Woody

I realize not all MH's are created equal, but for another perspective... two months ago I bought my 1994 Thor Residency 35' Class A for $12k.  Tires less than a year old, everything working except little things here and there.  I had to replace the house batteries two days after we bought it ($180) but all my other expenses have just been maintenance and little stuff.  The price I paid is only $2500 more than you're talking about spending, for a MH that's 5 years newer.  Granted, the price I got was a KILLER deal on a rig that NADA rates at $17k, and I shopped for a solid year before finding it... not something you will run across every day, but the deals are out there if you look long enough.  The reason it seems like a typical price is that almost everyone overprices their used motorhomes... not because they're all worth that much. 

You know your timeline and what you're willing to spend, but don't be in too big of a hurry if you can stand to wait.  Especially with the end of the season approaching, the deals will get even better for sellers who don't want to pay for off-season storage.  Let this Pace Arrow's owner know that you're very interested, but are going to keep looking for a couple weeks/months/whatever.  Chances are good you'll end up with an even better price, if this is indeed the MH for you.

Not  only that should you find something else, so be it.  And should you not get this one , so be it.  Then you weren't supposed to have it in the 1st place.  More than one way to look at things.  Or is you should buy this one and 2 months down the road you find a steal, you'll kick you own butt for buying this one.  Scotty's advise is right on.

Seller called me back and accepted my offer at 9K. Also spoke to a buddy that has wrenched on alot of RV's and he thinks the column shake is probably a loose bolt or bad bearing on the steering column.  Looks like we are happening.
Thanks for the advice and pointers this forum has been, and no doubt wil continue to be very helpful.
THANKS!!
Adam G

Congratulations on the new rig, Adam.  :D  Hope it is in a good a shape as it appears and that you get many happy miles from your new toy. Stay in touch and let us know how it goes...

Thanks guys.  The wife and I are already looking forward to going somewhere, anywhere next weekend...  It is going to be pretty crazy, going from our old 86 starcraft popup to this beast but it oughta be a helluva ride.
Thanks,
Adam G

Hey congrats Adam, don't take our "constructive" comments too harshly ... well obviously you didn't since you bought the Pace.  :)  This forum has been the single most amazing resource I've ever found to teach a newbie (which I still am) about the RVing lifestyle and all the things that go along with it.  My 541 comments (as of this date when I type this) on the forums have not been in vain. ;)

Back
Top Bottom