rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Towing travel trailer with a dually  (Read 199 times)

Mitch52656

• ---
Towing travel trailer with a dually
« on: November 19, 2020, 01:57:57 PM »
Hi. I have a newF350 Dually and currently pull a 5th wheel. My wife loves 5th wheels due to storage. She is having a harder time getting up and down the steps. Mostly down. We like the stability of the 5th wheel when towing but I am talking with her about a Travel Trailer. My question is this, when pulling a 34 to 36 foot TT that the hitch is setup correctly with a dually is there much sway. Thanks in advance.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Towing travel trailer with a dually
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 02:13:13 PM »
Should be zero sway with a properly balanced trailer and a big solid tow vehicle like that.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

donn

• ---
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 04:24:06 PM »
A TT will really always have more sway simply because of the connection point compared to a fiver.  Hitches like the Hensley can make things better.  Reality is a TT is still going to have steps getting in and out.  The only steps you loose is the ones going into the overhead which is usually bed and bath.  Outside steps now days are far superior to the old fold up ones, and much more stable. Depending on floor plans inside steps can be narrow or really wide, offering much better access.

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 05:39:30 PM »
I have seen steps with a handrails that sit against a 5r that should make it easier for your wife since it has a handrail to hold on to.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y
2018 Ford Edge SEL
Air Force One towed brakes
Blue Ox towed setup

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 05:51:32 PM »
A long TT will be more challenging to back up etc. Even if sway is not an issue, 5rs seem superior in every category (since you have the truck)
Just a thought, There are many different styles of lifts that might accommodate your wife. Seems a few thousand in a great lift would be a better solution than a whole new Trailer, that may or not be acceptable in a short time.
Do a Google search for RV stair lifts, lots of ideas.
2020 F150 Lariat 502a, Max Tow, 3.5 Eco
2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

"Never argue with stupid people. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 06:35:49 PM »
I have pulled both tt and 5ers with my dually - THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE other than the pivot point changes. One is on the bumper and one is in the middle of the box. A 5er is a little more stable but not a lot.

I recently taught my step son how to back up both. Had it down perfect in under an hour.

The 5er turns faster in reverse. But the tt follows the tow vehicle more than a 5er which cuts the corners more.

Either way you will adapt really quickly just be aware and look after your wife
2015 Voltage 3305 Toy Hauler - loaded
2019 F150 5l Super cab 8 ft box (company truck) daily driver
2017 Black on Black F350 Diesel Dually loaded  5167lbs cargo/weight capacity
Selling truck parts for 15 yrs plus
" If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space"
From Canada Eh

Tom55555

• ---
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 05:09:25 AM »
I have seen steps with a handrails that sit against a 5r that should make it easier for your wife since it has a handrail to hold on to.

Before my mom past away I made special stairs and expanded hand railing for her. The stairs were easy. It gave her more independence and quite frankly it was easier on me. A lot cheaper than getting a new unit.
2015 Winnebago 22R