rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Help identifying maker of this funky cool old fiberglass camper I just bought?  (Read 721 times)

Cascadence

• ---
Hi folks! New here and just on over from the introductory forum to show off this funky and unique lightweight (1000lb) fiberglass slide-in I picked up as a rebuild project, and ask around to see if anyone can help me identify the builder, or offer any other info on it.

I'll copy over some info from my intro post to explain what I think is a pretty unique find:

Now this thing is...well, I'm not exactly sure what it is...except totally awesome!! I can tell you that it was used for the past couple of decades by some ski/snowboarders to snow camp up here in the Cascades, and it's in rough (I mean ROUGH) shape from all the slope-side partying, but not much beyond that. The serial number stamp has long since worn and mostly peeled off, and the previous owner hadn't a clue of the manufacturer, but was told from the owner before him that it once resided in Oregon and was built in 93, even though the interior screams 70's.

Will do a more thorough investigation for a hidden serial number once I drop it at the new workyard, then will begin the teardown for a complete rebuild to fit a new (old) truck that's also a little bit of a project (96 F-250 Powerstroke 7.3 turbo diesel).

For now, all 1000lbs of it's pure grooviness is resting somewhat comfortably on my old 1/2 ton beater, a 94 F-150 that carried it 40 miles home without a second thought. Noticed the tires were a little low after the ride, and the dented rear bumper makes it look like the camper broke the tail end, but I assure you both truck and camper are fine. Only have one more 3 mile journey to go before we're at the workyard this weekend, and after the rebuild, it'll be carried by the 3/4 ton 4x4 (with airbags).

Pretty much it in a nutshell. If anyone can help me nail down any info on this unique little number, I'd be super thankful!

CharlesinGA

• ---
I'm going to suggest posting this over on Truck Camper Adventure, as there are a few very knowledgeable people on there who might know what it is.

https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/forums/forum/truck-camper-forums/

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD HO, 6 spd, std cab, Leer topper, and a Bigfoot 25B21RB 30th Anniversary Edition TT... SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H motorhome and soon to be sold Thor Freedom Spirit 180 TT

Tom55555

• ---
I'm curious what the inside looks like.
2015 Winnebago 22R

Cascadence

• ---
I'm going to suggest posting this over on Truck Camper Adventure, as there are a few very knowledgeable people on there who might know what it is.

https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/forums/forum/truck-camper-forums/

Charles

Thanks Charles, will do!

Cascadence

• ---
I'm curious what the inside looks like.

Like I said, it's ROUGH - and the whole thing is being rebuilt from the box up, with the fiberglass shell itself to be refinished. There are a couple of cool fiberglass interior components that I'm kinda sad to let go because they fit the curvy vibe of the exterior: a single-piece vanity w/ wash basin and cabinets, and a cabinet above the stove flow hood. I may keep the vanity...on the fence about it, but the overhead compartment is out.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the kitchenette will be replaced by slide-outs at the rear exterior, and a hatch that accesses the bed in front of the wheel wells will fit a Dometic. The toilet will be replaced by a Nature's Head composting toilet (or a cheaper alternative, those things a grand a pop!). The sleep compartment platform slides out on rails to extend the bed to queen size, and there's no reason why that platform shouldn't be turned into a slide-out tabletop.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:08:24 PM by Cascadence »

Tom55555

• ---
Looks a lot more comfortable than sleeping on rocks in the snow and safer than a tent in bear country.
2015 Winnebago 22R

Cascadence

• ---
Looks a lot more comfortable than sleeping on rocks in the snow and safer than a tent in bear country.

I think it has a ton of potential!

SpencerPJ

• ---
I think it's cool as well.  Keep a retro vibe to it. 
Keep us posted, we love following along and helping others spend (I mean save) money  ;)
2020 F150 Lariat 502a, Max Tow, 3.5 Eco
2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

"Never argue with stupid people. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

Cascadence

• ---
I think it's cool as well.  Keep a retro vibe to it. 
Keep us posted, we love following along and helping others spend (I mean save) money  ;)

Will do!

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Looks like a great project. I'm keen to see how it turns out!
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Back in the UK til who knows....

Cascadence

• ---
Looks like a great project. I'm keen to see how it turns out!

I know it will be perfect for two young boys to go off-grid camping with their dad!

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
I know it will be perfect for two young boys to go off-grid camping with their dad!
Absolutely! 

Cascadence

• ---
UPDATE - I must be going blind.

There are so many stickers on this camper that I somehow overlooked the glaringly obvious giant shield on the back that says "U.S. Cruiser" on it. The insignia is even part of the fiberglass mold!

To be fair to myself, my buddy didn't notice it either.

BUT ... I still cannot find anything on the internet regarding a camper manufacturer or truck camper model called "U.S. Cruiser". I'm mystified.

If anyone has any more info, please hit me up!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 06:59:11 PM by Cascadence »

Cascadence

• ---
Update #2:

Further sleuthing has led me to the OpenCorporates database listing for U.S. Cruiser Manufacturing, Inc., 145 Smith St., Harrisburg, OR 97446. U.S. Cruiser was incorporated in 1985 by Victor Evoniuk, and lists Richard Evoniuk as President, with Wilma Evoniuk as an additional agent. The company was dissolved in 2003, and it appears Victor passed in 2006 at the age of 82, but Wilma appears to be alive at 96 years old, exactly how old Vic would be if he were alive today (if I have all this correct).

Now, there are listings on a couple other business registry websites showing this same U.S. Cruiser Manufacturing, Inc.  listed as a boat builder, so perhaps Victor started out fabricating fiberglass boats with his son Richard, and decided to try their hand at building a camper. If this is the case, I wouldn't be surprised if they only built the one!

There are a couple of Richard Evoniuks that appear online - one handsome, happy-looking, motorcycle-riding chap in his 60s who appears to be a carpenter from Oregon with a Facebook account and maybe Linkedin listing, and another who I believe is currently out on parole after serving 16 years of a 30-year sentence for sex crimes in Minnesota. God I hope like hell the guy who build my camper is the friendly-looking guy and not the rapist.

In any case, I don't have a Facebook account and don't know anyone who does. I've always been anti-Facebook, and have vowed NEVER to use the platform, but if there is anyone out there who does and might be willing to reach out to Richard to point him in the direction of my posts about the camper, maybe he'll respond here! His account is the first Google search result for "richard evoniuk" facebook.

I sure would like to know the story of old Victor, Richard, and U.S. Cruiser, find out who exactly designed and built the camper, if others were made, and anything else I can learn.

Side note -  I took a look at the property listed in their incorporation records on Google street view, and that sure looks like the place where my camper was probably built - pretty cool! There is also a VFW hall directly across the street, which I'm guessing has been there since at least the 50's, and folks who may have frequented that lodge may know all kinds of things about what went on across the street 18-35 years ago, so that may be an avenue to explore if I can't get in touch with anyone from the Evoniuk clan.

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
I have reached out to him for you. Fingers crossed!

Cascadence

• ---
I have reached out to him for you. Fingers crossed!

Brilliant, Jackie. Thanks so much! The curiosity is killing me!

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
No reply so far. Keep you posted!

Cascadence

• ---
Thanks again Jackie!

Btw, Wilma Evoniuk appears to have a Facebook also (but she's 96, so...), and there is a woman named Juile Evoniuk (whose married name may be Ankeny) that's listed on sites like peekyou and others as being related to Victor, Wilma, and Richard. Certainly I don't want to bother or intrude in people's lives, but the curiosity is killing me!! It would be something else if this was the only camper this father and son ever built together. Who knows, maybe the family would want it back!

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
He didn't reply so I will try an alternative tomorrow.....

Cascadence

• ---
He didn't reply so I will try an alternative tomorrow.....

Very much appreciate your efforts, but please don't go to too much trouble! It would be cool if someone replied with a fun tale of this father/son recreational fiberglass craft business...or not so cool if it's a tragic story of a failed business and losing loved ones. Certainly don't want to pick at old wounds, or dredge up sad memories.

Still - I would really like to know the history of this camper, so if neither Richard or Julie reply, maybe I'll mail a letter to the VFW hall across the street asking if anyone who was around back when they were in business could give me the scoop.

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
No replies so far. Not sure how active they are on Facebook though.

Cascadence

• ---
No replies so far. Not sure how active they are on Facebook though.

Right, and I doubt 96 yo Wilma has FB notifications enabled on her iPhone 12   ;D

Again, appreciate the efforts. Maybe someone who knows them will stumble on this thread, or if I get more info elsewhere, be sure I'll post updates!

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Right, and I doubt 96 yo Wilma has FB notifications enabled on her iPhone 12   ;D

Again, appreciate the efforts. Maybe someone who knows them will stumble on this thread, or if I get more info elsewhere, be sure I'll post updates!
Lol.  Me too.