EMS, Surge Protection, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csonni

Hello. New owner here of a Teardrop trailer camper (a lot less than what most members here are sporting). I've read random posts on other forums about protecting the converter in the trailer by installing a built in EMS (looking at this one:  https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw30c). 

Other option is to connect a EMS dongle (portable) to the pedestal at the campsite.

I'm wondering how many forum members here have installed such protection and, for those who haven't, do you wish you had?

When I bought my coach I had them install the 50 amp Progressive unit (not the "dongle") it's already saved a couple of potential problems for me. I'd recommend it.

I wouldn't worry about protecting a $150 device with a $250 one.

I wouldn't worry about protecting a $150 device with a $250 one.
If that's all it was, I'd agree. But it protects the entire RV electrical system, including things like a microwave, a stereo, TV, etc., not just the converter.

It is nice to have full time electrical Protection. The need for such an investment is varying depending on the projected RV usage and your electrical knowledge. Travelling to unknown campgrounds would enhance the need for electrical protection where as spending your time in a place that your familiar with would reduce the need.

I have been to approximately 2 dozen camp grounds over the past 3 years. I do not use any protection other than a volt meter which I use to test any external power source I plug into. During that period of time I have identified 3 problems that prevented plugging in. 2 of them were corrected by the campgrounds and the 3rd I moved to a different site at the same campground.

My method doesn't offer full time protection which is a disadvantage as things can change after plugging in but so far I have managed to have no problems. I do keep my eye on things and will occasionally recheck during a stay. I do continuously keep track of voltage levels which helps but still doesn't cover all the bases.

My suggestion would be to use protection. I personally would go with something internal to the RV rather than having it hanging at the pedestal.

including things like a microwave, a stereo, TV, etc., not just the converter.
Right, but the OP has a teardrop-style trailer, so less to worry about.

Power monitor/protection devices like the HW30C are an insurance against faulty power. The more electrical stuff you have, the more valuable the insurance. You might go camping for years without encountering a faulty power source, but when the day comes, the protection insurance suddenly gets real important.

It?s a hard choice.  Our new NuCamp T@G XL Boondock at $25,000 (taxes in) should really have come with such protection. At this point, it?s just a matter of figuring out where to install the protection.  I?m also wondering if our warranty would be voided once we cut the min 30 amp cable for installation.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Right, but the OP has a teardrop-style trailer, so less to worry about.

Even in a smaller unit he probably has a water heater, furnace and fridge - the circuit board in these are sensitive and expensive

I opted for the portable Progressive instead of the hard wired model. I did that so I could move it from one RV to another RV. When I sell the RV I have now, I can take it with me to the other RV.

A bit costlier. How do you secure it to the pedestal to keep it from walking off?

I went with the installed unit, down side is if it fails I have no way of getting power, good for first 2 years.

csonni said:
A bit costlier. How do you secure it to the pedestal to keep it from walking off?
I have the 50 amp dogbone model. I quit locking it about 5 years ago. I have not heard of one growing legs.

Though i've never seen a report of a portable (Plug in type) walking off.. That is a concern.  But a Bigger Concern for me is the 'Oh.  It's just overnight, I won't bother with it" and then wishing you had bothered with it later.

I'd go with the HW. out of sight, out of mind and you never forget it.

csonni said:

I?m not concerned about it walking away in the CG?s we stay in. If I was concerned, there is a metal ring/plate with a hole in that you can run a steel cable through the hole and then wrap it around the pedestal and padlock it.

I think that the built in models can give real time information about voltage & current draw which is something I would want. Correct me if I read wrong.
In the thread I started, someone said one unit has an app for a phone to get remote monitoring but I haven?t found a reference on the makers web site. Maybe I looked n the wrong place?

Oh, and I am in favor of an EMS, a wired in one. The trailer I am buying has a dogbone surge protector included. We will use it to do a sanity check of the pedestal before backing in.

Lynx0849 said:
I think that the built in models can give real time information about voltage & current draw which is something I would want. Correct me if I read wrong.

Correct the PI one I have has a remote display and it continuously cycles through error codes (if any), voltage and amp draw

I know of a few campgrounds where anything not locked or screwed down is likely to disappear, but I believe that's the exception rather than the rule.  The campgrounds where we have seen problems are those in or near (walking distance) metro areas.  In 20+ years of camping, we've encountered very few problems with theft or vandalism.

Back
Top Bottom