Which Truck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris

I am looking at trading in my '04 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 with a 6.0L.
I am wanting better gas mileage both towing, and just regular driving. Right now I am getting an average of 11MPG when I'm not pulling, and 9MPG towing the Aruba.

The two trucks I am looking at are the '04 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 2WD with the 5.4L
and the '04 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 2WD with the 5.7L Hemi.

Based on the ratings, they are both capable of towing my TT. I would just like to get the best MPG possible.
Without getting into a brand specific war, which one is going to give me the best gas mileage?

Better off with a diesel Excursion. Those get around 20 mpg hwy. Superior towing capacity as well. Really nothing like an Excursion out there.

Chris said:
I am looking at trading in my '04 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 with a 6.0L.
I am wanting better gas mileage both towing, and just regular driving. Right now I am getting an average of 11MPG when I'm not pulling, and 9MPG towing the Aruba.

The two trucks I am looking at are the '04 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 2WD with the 5.4L
and the '04 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 2WD with the 5.7L Hemi.

Based on the ratings, they are both capable of towing my TT. I would just like to get the best MPG possible.
Without getting into a brand specific war, which one is going to give me the best gas mileage?

I fear that might be the 2500 Chevy.    With the 1/2 tonners you are going downhill in tow capacity.  I just don't see a stressed 1500 with a 5.4 giving you better mileage under tow than an under-stressed 2500 with a 6.0L.    Do you have access to the EPA mileage estimates for the units?  For comparative purposes they might give you a basis for comparison, even tho they are not accurate in absolute terms.

I agree Carl.  I think the most that would be realized with the smaller truck is a bunch of problems due to the stress the truck was not designed for.

Thanks guys, you have given me something to think about.
I don't have the EPA mileage on the trucks, maybe I can find it on the web.
I really didn't think about the longevity of the 1/2 ton versus the 3/4 ton. I was just thinking about saving money now on fuel.
I would probably be saving money in the long run by keeping what I have.

Based on the Trailer Life specs, the tow ratings for the above mentioned trucks are as follows.

Chevy 2500 Crew Cab SB 4X4 with 3.73 gears = 8000lbs
Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 2WD with 3.55 gears = 7900lbs
Ford F-150 Crew Cab 2WD with 3.55 gears = 8500lbs
All with automatic trannys

Based on those numbers, I really wouldn't be going down as far as tow ratings go. I would actually be moving up with the ford!

Chris,

I had an 2005 F-150 crew cab, 5.4, 2WD, Auto, pulling a 26ft Puma Palomino, around 7500lbs loaded.  Although the F-150 pulled it ok on fairly level terrain, any hills, or small mountains, and it really struggled.  I would not want to do a lot of towing with the F-150, I never felt comfortable towing with it and felt as though towing for an extended period with it would tear it up.  You won't get better than 9mpg towing with the F-150 either.  I was getting 8 to 9mpg towing.  I traded it last month for an 07 Dodge Ram 2500, Crew Cab, 5.9L Cummins.  I believe you'd be getting roughly the same MPG in your current truck as you would the F-150.  I'd just stay in your 3/4 ton Chevy.  Just my .02 worth.

You'll see an increase in mileage unloaded for sure.  The 3/4 GM's use a heavy duty trans that saps fuel mileage but helps it hold up under towing.

I had a 1500HD Crew Cab with the 6.0L engine it was just a re-badged 3/4 ton truck.  It got 11mpg no matter what I did.  It was slow (how can 300 hp be slow) Rough riding and sucked gas like crazy.

The F-150, while reated to tow the most, is actually the worst 1/2 ton tow vehicle.  Check the Toyota Tundra web site.  It has certified test video of all the full size trucks doing acceleration testing loaded, towing etc and brake testing.  While I'm not suggesting you buy a Toyota or a Nissan, they did out-perform the big three in every test.  In some tests, the Toyota had hit 60 and stopped before the Ford even got up to 60!!!!

It's an interesting read either way..

Linc

Personal Opinion having sold RVs, cars, and trucks  If your towing get a damn truck  A 1/2 ton isn't a truck its a pleasure run about. for getting grocerices and carring step ladders.  No More need to be said.

For as I know 1 fantastic unit  Have 2 friends that own and love them.  Just besure you stay within the tow limits.

Thanks for all the advice guys! I went and drove a Ford 5.4L yesterday, and I was not at all impressed. My Chevy has way more power, and is way more responsive than the Ford was.

occ, thanks for your story. I was happy to hear from someone who had actually pulled with the F-150. That played a big part in my decision to keep my truck.

I guess, until I can afford a diesel, I am just going to keep the Chevy.

Buckle823, while the Excursion would be a great choice, I have to have a truck.

Thanks again to everyone for your advice.

Check the Toyota Tundra web site.  It has certified test video of all the full size trucks doing acceleration testing loaded, towing etc and brake testing.  While I'm not suggesting you buy a Toyota or a Nissan, they did out-perform the big three in every test.  In some tests, the Toyota had hit 60 and stopped before the Ford even got up to 60!!!!

Gee, the Toyoater won a comparison mounted by Toyota on the Toyota website.  I am astonished, truly astonished.  ;D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom