Information Center ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neal

Any suggestions on where I should start looking?
RV plugged into power.
Inverter/charger is Dimensions Win-12x20B3R1T.
Inside information center info:
House Battery 12.0 volt.
Engine Battery 11.7 volts
Inverter in Float mode @ 13.3 volts
Charging rate 0 amps
Voltage reading at batteries with meter
House Batteries 13.4 volts
Engine Batteries 12.9 volts
So, in my mind, charger is doing its job, but inside information center may not be relaying correct info.

Conflicting data absolutely. Meter readings are always best. Depending on the duration of charging, the house batteries appear to be charging. The engine batteries appear to be low.

If the charger has been applied for 15-24 hours, disconnect charging, let the batteries settle for 30-60 minutes and take readings. Those readings will provide a better charge status of the batteries.

I may be wrong but I believe the charger is time based for switching modes. If that's the case, full charging will begin following a converter reset.

Is the converter reset when shore power is turned off, then back on?
We have done this previously, and the inside info center would show it to be charging and at a higher voltage, but when we checked the next day, it would be showing the above info. After several times of this, is when we decided to check at batteries with meter.

Hard to analyze with the information provided.

Need to know length of wire runs from charger to batteries, from info center pick up to info center etc.  Voltage drop must surely come into play on an RV due to its length of wire runs.

Weirdest results is 11.7V at battery and 12.9V at information center.

Also need to know if batteries were checked in isolation or while still connected.

First thing to do (as always) is to clean and tighten all connections including ( and especially) the grounds.

Ex-Calif said:
Hard to analyze with the information provided.

Need to know length of wire runs from charger to batteries, from info center pick up to info center etc.  Voltage drop must surely come into play on an RV due to its length of wire runs.

Weirdest results is 11.7V at battery and 12.9V at information center.

Also need to know if batteries were checked in isolation or while still connected.

First thing to do (as always) is to clean and tighten all connections including ( and especially) the grounds.
I would presume length of wire to be, maybe, as short as possible. Batteries directly across coach from converter. Also information center is almost above them, slightly forward.

Battery voltage was 12.9V and information center showed 11.7 V.
I suppose it could be a bad connection between batteries and information center, but wondered where to start looking?
Information center also has a 3 way switch, to check engine versus house batteries. One or the other, not at the same time.  If wired as I would think, this would likely rule out bad connection from battery set to switch. Maybe, switch to gauge display??? Since it would not be likely for bad connections to happen from both banks at the same time. You may be right about a bad ground to the information display meter.

I understand it has a Trik-L-Start to charge the engine batteries, from the house batteries. I would think, this might be a reason for the engine battery to show slightly less than the house battery voltage.

Measure the voltage behind that digital meter (the entire OnePlace will easily come out) with an accurate digital multimeter. The OnePlace meter might be inaccurate.

I'd open the inverter and measure at the DC input lugs to see how that compares to the battery readings and to know what the inverter is being supplied.  Then the question becomes, if the DC input to the converter is different than the display voltage, where is the calculation being done?  Is the display just a display, showing what data the inverter is sending, or does it actually do the calculation in the display itself based on power from the inverter?  Knowing what is actually being supplied at the inverter input lugs will help you determine where the trouble lies.

Back
Top Bottom