Wireless backup camera's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fcranger

are those wireless backup camera's worth looking into or a waste of money
my rv doesn't have a built in rear camera and I was thinking of getting one of those
inexpensive systems that bolt onto the license bracket and monitor that plugs  into the cigarette lighter.
would like to get some input if anybody has one.    :)

It depends on how long your RV is. I just had a system installed on my 36 footer and Camping World (who unfortunately installed it) said that wireless wouldn't work on RV's over about 25' long because the signal wouldn't carry any farther than that.
I'm very happy with the performance of my unit but not happy with their installation.
Dealers had told me previously that they would only install for hourly rate with no guarantee of minimum hours cause they didn't know how long it would take to dig a hole down through my foam insulation to run the wire under the unit.
CW advertised a fixed installation price and said no problem running it down underneath. They then called and said underneath not possible but I would be "very happy" with the way they ran it up over the roof.
Well, I'm not.

Woody

Fcranger said:
The length of my rv is 24ft. bumper to bumper. 

It just might work but I would recommend you try to get a satisfaction Guarantee.  I haven't heard many reports of satisfaction with the wireless camera systems.

[size=12pt]
Fcranger said:
are those wireless backup camera's worth looking into or a waste of money
my rv doesn't have a built in rear camera and I was thinking of getting one of those
inexpensive systems that bolt onto the license bracket and monitor that plugs  into the cigarette lighter.
would like to get some input if anybody has one.    :)

I play around with cameras a lot and IMO, in most cases you're better off to run the wires whenever possible.  Only consider the wireless when you have a clear short shot to the camera and even then problems are possible, including interference.

I had a back up camera in my RV, still do in my truck and jeep. And I have many cameras, inside and out, so I can view both of my homes on the internet from anywhere in the world, using video servers (no computer left on, but cable modem, router, and video recorders are).  I have played with wireless and I now use NONE of the wireless anywhere.

Nevertheless,  I am not saying a wireless will not work well for you, it really depends on many things. But if you want to make sure it works well, think more about how you're going to run the wires and forget about the wireless.

BTW, I have seen cameras  that will do both, wire and wireless. In fact, I use a couple of those (but at my houses, not vehicles), but with the wires. So you might be able to try it wireless and when it doesn't work as well as it could, use the same camera and equipment, just run the wires.

-Don-

The problem I have with wireless is someone named MURPHY.  You know Murphy.. Mrs. Murphy first figured out her law in all it's simplicity about 2 seconds before someone wrote a song about her discovery... Perhaps you have heard the song.  Some background.

Really large cook pots, the kind you'd use if you were preparing chowder for oh, say half the town, are EXPENSIVE, thus most familes have but one (if that)  And in days of old this same pot was used for many things.. The baby's bathtub,  The laundry tub, and of course,, Chowder for half the town.

Well, One day when half the town was over,  They dipped into the cowder pot and pulled out a pair of Mr. Murphy's concrete be-speckeld trowsers.. Mrs. Murphy (Who of course had tossed them in the "Laundry tub" fainted dead away, as the men in the room shouted "WHO PUT THE OVERHALLS IN MRS MURPHY'S CHOWDER"  nobody answered (of course, since she had fainted) so they shouted all the louder,  It's an Irish trick it's true.. I can lick the Mick who through, The overalls in Mrs. Murphy's Chowder.

So what does this have to do with anythign:

You use wireless and sure as I'm typing this at a critical instant as you are about to back into that tree there will be a burst of Radio Frequency Interference from the CBer in the rig next door with some "Slippers" on his rig running about 2,000 watts instead of the legal 5 watt dc input to the final and the next thing you will see is the cracks on the rear of your rig from estimating how much distance you had and estimating six inches short.

On the other hand,  With a good quality cable hooking the camera to the monitor... no RFI ever.

Back
Top Bottom