Snowbird traffic question for the south east

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prior member

For those traveling , how is the snowbird traffic on I-95 through SC, Georgia and Florida all the way to south Florida compared  to previous years ?

Other years we get down there in October ahead of the heavy traffic, but this year we are thinking of going down in a few weeks

Jack L

The way I see it right now, it?s probably  very light. I say that because here at the CG I?m in, it?s like a ghost town. I expect it will pick up after the holidays a little but keep in mind there are no Canadians traveling.

Dutch, I am not sure the US border is still closed to Canadians.  The Canadian government has extended the ban on nonessential travel from the US to Canada until December 21, but so far I have not been able to find a similar extension on the American side.  The US border website is just showing November 21 as the expiry date.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Dutch, I am not sure the US border is still closed to Canadians.  The Canadian government has extended the ban on nonessential travel from the US to Canada until December 21, but so far I have not been able to find a similar extension on the American side.  The US border website is just showing November 21 as the expiry date.

Ed

Pack up the car Ed. You may be able to be here for Christmas .

Did you know in many states you can get an actual look at the traffic with your own augmented eyes, at least on major freeways in major areas.

For example  (I use Michigan as the example because that's where I worked and still live)

https://mdotjboss.state.mi.us/MiDrive/cameras

Now I will admit when I was working It was a bit better. You see I had a direct monitor not an internet feed. and I had tilt/pan/zoom/focus/and aprature control of the camera I was looking through.    (now you know why I pick MI)

Many other sates have internet connected cameras as well.

I'm not far from the Canadian border. Travel ban has been extended, but my understanding is that is for actual border crossings. Flying into the US from Canada is allowed, just need to follow quarantine protocol.  Saw on the local news that some Canadians have figured out how to ship their RV's across the border to northern NY and then take a short flight to pick them up and head south. 

I'm out in AZ and I heard the same thing. I thought the main issue was medical insurance for the Canadian travelers that covered any Covid related issues???

Compadre said:
I'm not far from the Canadian border. Travel ban has been extended, but my understanding is that is for actual border crossings. Flying into the US from Canada is allowed, just need to follow quarantine protocol.  Saw on the local news that some Canadians have figured out how to ship their RV's across the border to northern NY and then take a short flight to pick them up and head south.
Not sure on any of that - I'm on the Canadian Borde in NY and yes to the RV thing.  I believe any commercial entity can make the transport happen and clients can fly in to the US, quarentine for two weeks (or go through some testing routine) then pick up their RV.  The insurance thing is also a show stopper, not sure what the Canadians are doing about that.  I don't think it's any large scale thing going on.

There are no Canadians in our NV winter runaway RV park and, the word is, none in town.

The Tampa Bay Times reported on the weekend that Florida Tourist experts are indicating that fewer than 30% of Canadian snowbirds will visit this year, and are unsure how many American ones will come down, but suggest a large drop in short term visits.  We continue to want to come to our condo, but it is looking more and more like that won't happen until next fall at the earliest.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
    The Tampa Bay Times reported on the weekend that Florida Tourist experts are indicating that fewer than 30% of Canadian snowbirds will visit this year, and are unsure how many American ones will come down, but suggest a large drop in short term visits.  We continue to want to come to our condo, but it is looking more and more like that won't happen until next fall at the earliest.

Ed
Got to think positive Ed.

Started our trip south a little early due to snow predicted for our area and the mountains.  Spent last night at New Green acres in Walterboro SC.  They had a few spots for last night, but are booked up for tonight.  Didn't spend any time on I 95 yesterday, but saw fewer RV's than normal on the way here.  Will see what level of RV traffic I 95 has when we finish the trip today. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom