flat towing a GMC Canyon (or Chevy Colorado)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoozerman

I am looking at an '05 GMC Canyon, 4WD, Automatic to flat tow. One of the steps in the owner's manual says "use an adequate clamping device to ensure that the front wheels are locked into the straight position."
Other people I know that tow other vehicles, including GM vehicles, don't do this. They just allow the wheels to turn (left to right) as they want.
Does anyone know if this is necessary? And if so, is there a clamping device for this?

Thanks for your help!

The only time you would lock the steering wheel is when towing backwards on a dolly.  Towing four down you want the front wheels to be able to turn, or you'll damage the tires, as Ron mentioned.

We have an '07 Canyon and there is no mention of such a procedure when flat towing.  In our owner's manual it does state that but only for towing backwards on a dolly.  You're reading the wrong section.

Thanks, guys!

Ned,
I was at a GMC dealer earlier today and showed them the page in the owner's manual that I am referring to. On the way out, I stopped and look in the owner's manual for an '07, and it didn't say anything about clamping the wheels straight.
I am looking in the correct section, though, "procedure to tow your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground".
How do you like your '07?

Then your manual has a misprint.  The 2007 manual has the correct procedure, as you saw.

So far, we have no complaints with our Canyon.  We had a noisy driver side window but GMC fixed it under warranty.  It tows just fine, easier to set up than our previous Honda.

Back
Top Bottom