Question on Ripping CD's to Flash Drive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arcticfox2005

This is related to an earlier post on ripping CD's but different enough to start over.

Our new RAV4 doesn't have a CD player so I decided to rip CD's to a flash drive. I had only a vague idea of what to do so I went back to the dealership and our salesman did two for me using the computer on his desk. Later, I used my laptop (Windows 7, 32 bit) and did a few more.

Here is the issue.

On the two that he did, on playback, the name of the artist and the song title appears on the vehicle's media center screen. On the ones that I did, these both come up as "Unknown", but play like they are supposed to.

So the question I have is this: My laptop is an old Windows 7 32 bit and the one he used at work was probably a much newer Windows 10 unit. Would the version of Media Player on the two units account for the info not showing up?

Thanks,
Bill

I just went through this with my new Ford Truck, ripped many CDs.  I would also agree your windows 7 is too old to get the artists, album picture etc. (and that is nice IMO)  Also, when you rip, rip to a FLAC file type, it sounds much better than mp3. It takes more room, but little 64gb thumb drives are $10 and holds many cds. I even cherry picked only the songs I wanted off the cds, have a very nice thumb drive imo. I just leave it plugged in on my truck, no issues whatsoever. Whenever I'm out of my area and radio station, on it comes. Be patient, took me hours ;)  (ps: I also saved a backup to my computer, I don't want to do this again)

I don't think windoze 7 is too old, I've been doing this for a good 25 years going back to converting wave files using LAME on linux and OS/2.

I don't do media with windoze but the place the track information comes from for music CD's is CDDB.  That has to be turned on/enabled with internet access for artist/track information.  So my suggestion would be to review the settings in the media program and make sure CDDB is there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDDB

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

If you aren't recording in MP3 format test it out on your truck before you record too many. Some formats may be better quality but going down the highway I doubt you can tell the difference. MP3 used to be low quality with artifacts but things have improved a lot since then.

Use the highest bitrate MP3 format you can.  Memory is cheap.

I've been using iTunes for years.  It's very good at finding all of the information on. Commercial CDs.  80% of my CDs are published by independent artists and it finds most of them as (I believe it uses the GraceNote database).

I don't have enough space on any thumb drives for my whole library, and the DW doesn't want to listen to Jazz in her car so I created a playlist for each vehicle.  I open the playlist, click on 'Show files on disk', and simply copy all of the sub folders to a properly formatted (FAT32) 64GB thumb drive.  I prefer the ones that are physically small and don't stick out of the USB port more than 1/4".  (HP and Samsung make good ones).  Why? Because the DW likes to jam her enormous purses between the seat and the infotainment console.  Right where the USB drive sticks out in my truck.  Her car has the USB port in the console box, same problem.  (It's amazing how much stuff she can stuff in there) She would break it off for sure.  She won't ride in or drive the Mustang but I use small ones there 'just because'.

arcticfox2005 said:
This is related to an earlier post on ripping CD's but different enough to start over.

Our new RAV4 doesn't have a CD player so I decided to rip CD's to a flash drive. I had only a vague idea of what to do so I went back to the dealership and our salesman did two for me using the computer on his desk. Later, I used my laptop (Windows 7, 32 bit) and did a few more.

Here is the issue.

On the two that he did, on playback, the name of the artist and the song title appears on the vehicle's media center screen. On the ones that I did, these both come up as "Unknown", but play like they are supposed to.

So the question I have is this: My laptop is an old Windows 7 32 bit and the one he used at work was probably a much newer Windows 10 unit. Would the version of Media Player on the two units account for the info not showing up?

Thanks,
Bill
It's recommended to use the highest bitrate MP3 format you can.

Bill,

The problem is that your "ripping" software is not up to date.  You can do this with a Win7/32.  You should go look for a package at cnet.com or others.  They are out there, I would point you better but my nice Win7 laptop died in a crash some years back and the new stuff is all Win10.

Matt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom