Do we need 2 sway bars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stanczak

We got the Curt weight distribution and sway bar kit for our 34" TT. That is one sway bar, do I need to buy a second for the other side?

Typically they are only on one side--I've never heard of using two, but 34' is pretty long.  I'd be interested in what others have to say.

Goodspike said:
Typically they are only on one side--I've never heard of using two, but 34' is pretty long.  I'd be interested in what others have to say.
Agree  :))

You can always start with one, and add a second if need be.  I feel the best sway control is a properly loaded trailer with adequate tongue weight  :))

What do you call a "sway bar"?  Those two round or square bars on a weight-distributing hitch aren't "sway bars" - they are spring bars that do the actual weight distribution. There should be two of them.  Some hitches also have a sway control friction device - usually only one of them. Rarely are two ever needed. If you have trailer sway problems, fix the problem (insufficient trailer tongue weight) rather than putting another band-aid on it.

Here's a Curt with two spring bars and one sway control device.

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/17322

Gary RV_Wizard said:
What do you call a "sway bar"?  Those two round or square bars on a weight-distributing hitch aren't "sway bars" - they are spring bars that do the actual weight distribution. There should be two of them.  Some hitches also have a sway control friction device - usually only one of them. Rarely are two ever needed. If you have trailer sway problems, fix the problem (insufficient trailer tongue weight) rather than putting another band-aid on it.

Here's a Curt with two spring bars and one sway control device.

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/17322

I was talking about the sway control bar not the two weight distribution bars. I do not know if it sways as we have not driven anywhere yet. I just wanted to know if I needed to buy another and have one on each side. Oh and that is the kit I bought.

stanczak said:
I was talking about the sway control bar not the two weight distribution bars. I do not know if it sways as we have not driven anywhere yet. I just wanted to know if I needed to buy another and have one on each side. Oh and that is the kit I bought.

You may not need sway control.  I'd see what it's like without any sway control, and then what you have already bought before considering buying a second.  There are disadvantages to most sway control systems, such as having to drill into a pristine frame and needing to disconnect it before backing up.  But if you need it, you need it!  (Assuming you can't make it go away adjusting weight.)

stanczak said:
Gary's reply, specifically this part: "If you have trailer sway problems, fix the problem (insufficient trailer tongue weight) rather than putting another band-aid on it."
is the real key. One example I'm personally familiar with is the Trailmanor folding trailer. As typically loaded, they have 12% to 13% of their weight on the tongue, mostly due to the factory design of axle location vs length, and I have yet to hear of any sway problems with those units (and I'm still part of a Trailmanor club). But people with 10% or less tongue weight start running into problems.

So properly balance the trailer's tongue weight and sway should be non-existent.

I asked the question because many owners think those two big bars are "sway bars" and use that name for them. You are better-informed than most!

Frankly, I don't think you need that sway control friction "bar" at all, so two would be a total waste. Those friction pads serve mostly to give the owner a warm fuzzy feeling; tightening the friction enough to have much effect on sway makes turns harder and soon wears the pad down anyway. And if not tight, the friction pad has little effect. Trailer balance is the key, not add-on devices.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Frankly, I don't think you need that sway control friction "bar" at all, so two would be a total waste. Those friction pads serve mostly to give the owner a warm fuzzy feeling; tightening the friction enough to have much effect on sway makes turns harder and soon wears the pad down anyway. And if not tight, the friction pad has little effect. Trailer balance is the key, not add-on devices.

I've never owned one of those type of systems, but I would question how easy they are to loosen up to make backing into a spot easier.  They probably don't have the range of motion issues though of the other singled sided type.

BTW, I can sort of see the OP's question in that they might have had concern over whether the sway control part operated the same in both directions.

stanczak said:
We got the Curt weight distribution and sway bar kit for our 34" TT. That is one sway bar, do I need to buy a second for the other side?

Usually a trailer that long can benefit from a second bar.  They can be purchased at Harbor Freight if you want to save some money, they are all about the same.  Read these Reese instructions: https://www.reeseprod.com/support/installation/N83660.pdf

Question is what are you pulling that 34ft with? A big ass dually with all that traction on the back would probably prevent any sway even if the trailer wasnt loaded correctly. What im trying to say is-its a bit of a balancing act what is the tow vehicle is the trailer full of water and where is the water tank how much weight  is on the tongue?

A big ass dually with all that traction on the back would probably prevent any sway even if the trailer wasnt loaded correctly.
The trailer can sway no matter what the tow vehicle - "sway" is the trailer pivoting side-to-side on the ball coupler.  That big ass dually may make the driver unaware of the sway (until he looks in the mirrors, anyway), but the sway is still there. And potentially dangerous.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The trailer can sway no matter what the tow vehicle - "sway" is the trailer pivoting side-to-side on the ball coupler.  That big ass dually may make the driver unaware of the sway (until he looks in the mirrors, anyway), but the sway is still there. And potentially dangerous.

Agreed however a dually will put more weight displacement  over a bigger footprint, most new trucks come with a biult in trailer antisway which activates the trucks rear brakes on which side is needed, ive pulled 30ft trailers in huge winds in our foothills behind both single and dual rear wheel trucks and from personal experience the dually is more stable by a long shot

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The trailer can sway no matter what the tow vehicle - "sway" is the trailer pivoting side-to-side on the ball coupler. 

I would limit the term sway (or at least concerning sway) to that which continues and does not subside.  So for example, if you're in windy conditions and go under an overpass, what the trailer does as you pass through is not sway (that is of any concern). 

I have used a sway bar on my car trailer for years and I don't like to go with out it now. My car trailer is a tilt bed design and the axles are a little to far forward which cause the sway problem with it. I was caught out on the Interstate once in a very bad thunder storm with 60 MPH side winds that was blowing me around bad. Pulled over and tighten the sway bar down tighter and had no more problems with the wind. I wasn't running it as tight then as I do now. If you have the sway bar already I would go ahead and install it. It might prevent a problem while traveling.  As for as turning and backing with the sway bar installed, if it is installed correctly you should not have any problems unless the trailer is close to 90 degrees to the back of the vehicle. I have had my trailer turn almost to the point of the bumper touching the tongue of the trailer and have not bent or broken any thing. If you install the sway control I would suggest you try make some sharp turns slowly in both directions and have someone watch to see if the sway bar does bind or want to pull apart. I usually run my bar snugged up pretty tight and have not had any problems with turning. They can and will make some noise when turning.  I only use the one sway bar.

I have a 24' trailer and also use the Curt hitch. I never had any sway with just one friction device because the trailer was set up correctly. I did however get pushed around a bit by oncoming trucks, and even sometimes trucks passing me, until I added the second device. No problems since then. For $25 at Harbor Freight it makes me feel better if nothing else.
RichH

steveblonde said:
Agreed however a dually will put more weight displacement  over a bigger footprint, most new trucks come with a biult in trailer antisway which activates the trucks rear brakes on which side is needed, ive pulled 30ft trailers in huge winds in our foothills behind both single and dual rear wheel trucks and from personal experience the dually is more stable by a long shot

We have a 2020 Ram 2500. We took it for a ride with the trailer over the weekend and everything went well. My husband adjusted the weight distribution bars. We did not have the sway bar on it yet, but we are getting ready for a long trip so we will probably put it on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom