rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: 50's chord progression  (Read 162 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
50's chord progression
« on: December 11, 2020, 07:21:06 PM »
Apologies to the "pro" musicians here...

Doo Wop time again. Adding to my modest portfolio of Doo Wop songs, written with the I-vi-IV-V chord progression. 'In The Still Of The Night', written by Fred Parris 1956, and performed by Fred Parris and The Five Satins - for us olde fartes, see You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBT3oDMCWpI

Beatles time - 'Tell Me Why' used the I-vi-V-IV progression. But these talented musicians included some musical/vocal tricks that are tough to capture and reproduce.You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsdqioyPbZk

Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
Doo Wop using the 50's chord progression
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 07:36:45 PM »
Quote from: Tom
Doo Wop time again. Adding to my modest portfolio of Doo Wop songs, written with the I-vi-IV-V chord progression. 'In The Still Of The Night', written by Fred Parris 1956, and performed by Fred Parris and The Five Satins.

For the ukulele players, I teach a doo wop strum this way:

Using the the I-vi_IV-V chord progression (C-Am_F-G7), a waltz strum would be in 3/4 time.

Double that speed and use a 6/8 strum, with the emphasis on the fourth beat. You have a Doo Wop strum.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

jymbee

• ---
Re: 50's chord progression
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 08:47:33 PM »
Apologies to the "pro" musicians here...

Doo Wop time again. Adding to my modest portfolio of Doo Wop songs, written with the I-vi-IV-V chord progression. 'In The Still Of The Night', written by Fred Parris 1956, and performed by Fred Parris and The Five Satins -

Very cool. But the Five Satins in this clip look like they would prefer to be just about anywhere else!  :)
Wandering in our 2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C Class A