Surge Tank issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkdavis22

My husband and I just picked up our new 2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster last Saturday in Texas. Driving home, probably had gone 400 miles the "stop engine" warning light came on. Had to be towed to Amarillo. The surge tank splash cap was leaking radiator fluid and had gone below the minumum level. The sensor dedected the low level and hence we were stranded. In Amarillo they replaced the entire surge tank. Got home to Colorado and noticed that the same cap was once more leaking fluid and it was nearly at the minimum level again. Any advise would be welcomed.

Is the engine overheating and causing the pressure to rise?  Did you notice your engine temperature?

Did they also replace the cap that was leaking or did they just put the same old leaking cap on the new surge tank?  If a new cap was not installed I would get that replaced.

If you have a CAT engine with the surge tank having three or four hoses running into it and has the Freighliner logo - one of the caps will be right near where high pressure coolant is returned from the pump.  That cap has a curved half tubular piece of metal that protrudes from the cap down toward the fluid.  That cap and its tube must be positioned just exactly right or all the coolant will leak out of the tank.  It this is the type [like mine] remove the cap - it is two peices - and on top of the part that has this tube draw a curve that matches the curve.  Position the tube part back on so the fluid will hit the INSIDE of the curve.  Then put the second part of the cap on making sure the curved pieced does not move.  The purpose is to make the returning coolant strike in such a way as not to make foam.  I have had to replace four tanks in 8 years as the plastic tank would split due to UV rays working on it.  That cap is always a problem.  Last time it took the mech almost an hour to get that cap so it will not leak.

Thanks everyone for your input. Believe it or not the curved portion of the cap that goes down inside the surge tank is now one piece. Then, when you screw the cap back on (and yes) they gave us a new one)...it is very subject to move on you. The engine overheating was not the cause. Phoned Freightliner today and one tech was extremely helpful. He knew exactly what the issue was. He suggested we use some RTV silicone to rub on the small gasket that goes over the plastic surge opening. When we give it a try tonight, I hope it remedies this.

I have found that by using 2 gaskets, I am able to always prevent this situation.  The gaskets are only about $0.25 so no big deal but it works!!!

Back
Top Bottom