Yosemite Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceinFL

Heading from FL to Yosemite in late Apr-early May with fifth wheel. How is it going in the east entrance by Mono Lake? Will the road be open that time of year and is it suitable for a fifth wheel? If not, what's the best route from Lost Wages? If we can't get in the ntnl park, any recommendations for a cg outside and close?

Thanks.

BruceinFL said:
Heading from FL to Yosemite in late Apr-early May with fifth wheel. How is it going in the east entrance by Mono Lake? Will the road be open that time of year and is it suitable for a fifth wheel? If not, what's the best route from Lost Wages? If we can't get in the ntnl park, any recommendations for a cg outside and close?

Thanks.

Late April-early May?  In 2007 Tioga Pass was opened on May 11.  I would not plan on it as the way into Yosemite.  Anyway it is a steep, canyonside road that starts at 6800 feet and tops out at 9840 feet.  However, if you do it, westbound is the way to do it.  Eastbound is a study in sheer terror for a passenger as the descending lane is on the canyonside of the road.

The way in from Vegas?  Two and one half ways that time of year.

1.  I 15 to CA 58 to Bakersfield.  Then CA-99 north to Fresno.  The CA-41 to Coarsegold and Oakhurst and into the park via the Wawona entrance. 

2. US 95 to Reno.  I-80 over the Sierra to CA-99 at Sacramento.  CA-99 to past Merced to Fresno then to Coarsegold etc..  DO NOT TRY THE CA-140 WAY IN.  It is blocked by a landslide permanently and you will not get that fiver thru.

2.5.  I 15 to CA 58 to US 395.  North on 395 thru Lone Pine, Bishop, Mammoth, past Mono Lake to Bridgeport and then to Carson City and Reno, then I-80 over the Sierra.  This is the scenic route, one of the most spectacular and wild in the USA.

Carl,
2.5, the scenic route. That's the one we will like. Thanks for the info. What's the best cg to shoot for in the park?

BruceinFL said:
Carl,
2.5, the scenic route. That's the one we will like. Thanks for the info. What's the best cg to shoot for in the park?

Plan to spend several days on the scenic route.  You will be traversing the gorgeous Owens Valley and Eastern Sierra Country.   There are decent RV parks at Lone Pine (Boulder Creek), Bishop (Highlands RV Park), and Mammoth.  Bridgeport is worth a few hours or so.   Bodie National Historical site is a 25 mile side trip with the tow vehicle only.   Base at Bridgeport or Mammoth for it. 

Campgrounds in Yosemite are very limited and with an RV you need reservations.   A lot of folks stay just outside the Park at places like Oakhurst and Coarsegold.   Anyway, for the Park reservations and cg info, click HERE.

Bruce,

Late April-early May?  In 2007 Tioga Pass was opened on May 11.  I would not plan on it as the way into Yosemite.  Anyway it is a steep, canyonside road that starts at 6800 feet and tops out at 9840 feet.  However, if you do it, westbound is the way to do it.  Eastbound is a study in sheer terror for a passenger as the descending lane is on the canyonside of the road.

I agree with Carl.  Tioga Pass sometimes doesn't open until June.  Depends on the snowfall.  And AMEN to the sheer terror comment.  And, to think, I first drove it back in the 1960s before it was even paved!  :eek:

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Tioga Pass sometimes doesn't open until June.  Depends on the snowfall.  And AMEN to the sheer terror comment. 

But you'll never find anything to match it for sheer splendor. Tuolumne Meadows is one of my favorite places.

Carl L said:
*snip* 

2. US 95 to Reno.   I-80 over the Sierra to CA-99 at Sacramento.  CA-99 to past Merced to Fresno then to Coarsegold etc..   DO NOT TRY THE CA-140 WAY IN.  It is blocked by a landslide permanently and you will not get that fiver thru.

*snip*

Carl (or anyone else) I have a few questions about this: Is your understanding of this correct? (from wikitravel: http://wikitravel.org/en/Yosemite )

"WARNING: Traffic along State Route 140, one of the main routes into Yosemite from the west, was blocked after a landslide covered the road between El Portal and Mariposa in the Spring of 2006. Bridges have been built to divert traffic around the slide. Traffic is restricted to one lane (total) with opposing traffic held back via cycled traffic lights. Expect 15 minute delays as the lights cycle. Vehicles over 28 feet long are currently prohibited from crossing the bridges. The crossing of the bridge to the opposite side of the Merced River affords a very nice view of this geological event. Traffic leading to Yosemite through this route has been reduced due to the length limit of vehicles and assumptions that the road is closed. Vehicles over 28 feet are finding alternate routes into the park, while those under 28 feet traveling via Mariposa find the lack of large slow-moving vehicles welcome "

But then why does it say this? "State Route 140 is still closed. Highway 140 is now pleasantly less congested and the bridges aford an excellent view of the massive rock slide. "

I am wondering, perhaps State Route 140 is different to HWY 140. Bloomin' confusing to me one way or the other.

There is *nothing* on the nps page: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/driving.htm about 140.

Also, if the limit is 28ft. and my RV is exactly 28 feet am I safe for passage?

Wendy,

This photo might look familiar.

Attachments

• Tuolomne_Meadows.jpg
    Tuolomne_Meadows.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 54
Tom said:
Wendy,

This photo might look familiar.

Hi Tom- I am not Wendy, but I ate a tin of tiny tot sardines on a rock very near where that shot was taken, probably 25 years ago. I am looking forward to showing it to my 2 boys (7 and 10) next summer.  :)  I can never get enough of the Sierras.

Hi Snoopy, glad the photo brought back memories.

snoopy63 said:
Carl (or anyone else) I have a few questions about this: Is your understanding of this correct? (from wikitravel: http://wikitravel.org/en/Yosemite )

"WARNING: Traffic along State Route 140, one of the main routes into Yosemite from the west, was blocked after a landslide covered the road between El Portal and Mariposa in the Spring of 2006. Bridges have been built to divert traffic around the slide. Traffic is restricted to one lane (total) with opposing traffic held back via cycled traffic lights. Expect 15 minute delays as the lights cycle. Vehicles over 28 feet long are currently prohibited from crossing the bridges. The crossing of the bridge to the opposite side of the Merced River affords a very nice view of this geological event. Traffic leading to Yosemite through this route has been reduced due to the length limit of vehicles and assumptions that the road is closed. Vehicles over 28 feet are finding alternate routes into the park, while those under 28 feet traveling via Mariposa find the lack of large slow-moving vehicles welcome "

But then why does it say this? "State Route 140 is still closed. Highway 140 is now pleasantly less congested and the bridges aford an excellent view of the massive rock slide. "

I am wondering, perhaps State Route 140 is different to HWY 140. Bloomin' confusing to me one way or the other.

There is *nothing* on the nps page: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/driving.htm about 140.

Also, if the limit is 28ft. and my RV is exactly 28 feet am I safe for passage?

The problem on CA-140 is that because of the slide the road has to take a route on the opposite, north side of the canyon.  It is a one laner for part of the way and has a zero radius turn onto a narrow bridge.  A long vehicle is not going to make that turn.  I have done that route in my Bronco with out the trailer and I would never try it with my 23 footer.  The truck AND the trailer coupled are a bt over 40 feet. 

Now maybe you can make it, but if you can't,  you are stuck on a narrow mountain road with no decent turnaround for a fair piece.  How are you at trailer backing?

As for NPS's site, CA-140 is the responsibilty of the California Dept. of Transportation not the National Park Service.  It would be a mistake for the NPS to report on the condition of CalTrans roads.  Too many chances for missed signals. 

Tom, thanks for posting the picture. What a glorious, beautiful place it is.

Info on CA140 is posted at nps.gov/yose...... see here. NPS also posts info on the roads in Death Valley which are also maintained by Cal Trans. After all, the roads traverse national parks.

Wendy

Carl,
What about cutting thru Death Valley to 395? Is that OK that time of year?

BTW, where is the drive thru tree? We did it in the early 60s when we lived in SAC. Was thinking about going to Sequoia NP but I remember a grove that no one hardly ever visits somewhere off of SR4 north of Yosemite.

BruceinFL said:
Carl,
What about cutting thru Death Valley to 395? Is that OK that time of year?

BTW, where is the drive thru tree? We did it in the early 60s when we lived in SAC. Was thinking about going to Sequoia NP but I remember a grove that no one hardly ever visits somewhere off of SR4 north of Yosemite.

I would not, just to avoid Towne Pass and the climb westbound out of  Panamint -- long 6-9% grades up and down and then up again.   If you take it, do so with your A/C off to avoid overheating your engine -- and yes Death Valley will be beaucoup warm by then.   Right Wendy?

The tree was at Wawona and is kaput, it fell in 68-69. 

Carl, here is a pic i recently to of a waterfall from the "sheer terror road".  I had asked in a earlier thread about taking my TT through there, and you advised me against it. I'm sure glad you did. Its scary enough for the passenger side people with no TT attached........

Attachments

• 100_0994.JPG
    100_0994.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 37
shvictor said:
Carl, here is a pic i recently to of a waterfall from the "sheer terror road".  I had asked in a earlier thread about taking my TT through there, and you advised me against it. I'm sure glad you did. Its scary enough for the passenger side people with no TT attached........

The east face of the Sierra Nevada is the highest fault scarp in the lower 48 -- some 10,000 feet high in Lone Pine - Big Pine area, but around 7000 at Mono Lake.  I have crossed it on foot and on car.  On foot is far less scary.

By late April, early May, Death Valley will be approaching (and surpassing) 100 degree temperatures with 5-10% humidity. The climb up over Townes Pass is a killer.....that's where the 49ers turned around and said "Goodbye Death Valley," giving the valley its name. You can do the climb up and over if you drive slow and easy and, as Carl said, turn off the A/C. But there are other, easier ways to cut over to 395....go further north to Hwy 168 or Hwy 6 and over to 395.

Death Valley is an amazing, beautiful place but not to be used as a short cut to 395 in the summer (and, yes, May feels like summer to most folks).

But Enjoy !!
Wendy

OK, I'm convinced. We won't use Death Valley as a shortcut. Might make a visit though. If it's that hot we may have the whole place to ourselves.  ;)

BruceinFL said:
OK, I'm convinced. We won't use Death Valley as a shortcut. Might make a visit though. If it's that hot we may have the whole place to ourselves.  ;)

Actually, it's quite busy in the summer.....lots of Europeans and Australians take their holidays then and stop by DV for a visit. Personally, I think everyone should experience Death Valley once in the summer....you cannot possibly imagine 128 degrees until you've been outside in that temp.

Enjoy
p.s. Just checked the DV morning report and the predicted high for today is 119.....now, doesn't it feel nice and cool where you are?

wendycoke said:
Actually, it's quite busy in the summer.....lots of Europeans and Australians take their holidays then and stop by DV for a visit. Personally, I think everyone should experience Death Valley once in the summer....you cannot possibly imagine 128 degrees until you've been outside in that temp.

Enjoy
p.s. Just checked the DV morning report and the predicted high for today is 119.....now, doesn't it feel nice and cool where you are?

Nah, I don't think so Wendy.  Summer in hot places like that must be for folks like you that seems to enjoy the heat since you seem to spend a lot of time in the hot areas. ;D ;D

Back
Top Bottom