Anyone play bagpipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Added a neat song to add to my portfolio - Mull Of Kintyre by Paul McCartney and Denny Laine (Wings). A simple strum in 3/4 time (pick the root, then strum, strum). I need help with the bagpipe interludes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrbuDWit1Co

FWIW Mull Of Kintyre is the name of the area where McCartney has owned a farm for many years.

Check with Jackie.
I went to Dunoon Scotland years ago for business and they had the Cowal Highlands Games while I was there. I can remember they had 110 bagpipe bands playing the same song over and over again until they all marched in the area where the games are played. That?s all we heard all weekend and all hours of the night. They?d get all hooched up no matter what time it was and would go outside and play. I swore I never wanted to hear a bagpipe again after that weekend. I do like to listen to them now though.

I don't think Jackie plays bagpipes  ???

I once asked a Scottish-born friend, and this is what I got back  :)

Attachments

• Pipes_uke-4.jpg
    Pipes_uke-4.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 15
I don't expect to find a local group of pipers. Thinking that, if we play this in the uke band, we might substitute an accordion for bagpipes in the interludes.

A man suggested to his wife that he wanted to learn to play the pipes but she didn't think it was a good idea at his age. He asked "Do you think I'm too old to play?" "No, but I'm too old to listen to you practice".

I had an old friend that I had known since high school that played bag pipes, unfortunately he passed away last year from liver cancer.

Aye Gary, we sure did. When we were boondocked with Jim & Pat at Anza Borrego, I learned that Jim had been an Irish piper, and that he carried a chandler on the coach. With a little arm twisting, Jim agreed to serenade the ladies.

When we were subsequently at an RV Forum rally in Moab, Jim agreed to enter the talent show playing pipes. Chris went to the local Thrift store, bought some fabric, and made Jim a kilt and the other garb. Terry Brewer, our audio expert, had a track ready so Jim could pretend to play. But Jim came out playing the pipes with no need of accompaniment. Look closely, and Chris & Pat can be seen following Jim, clapping to the beat.

Apologies if I'm shedding a tear, but Jim and Pat were wonderful folks (Pat still is). Some of the nicest folks you could meet.

Attachments

• Jim-pipes.jpg
    Jim-pipes.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Bagpipes-Moab.jpg
    Bagpipes-Moab.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 25
I tried bagpipes...

I think you don't actually "play" bagpipes. I believe it's more accurate to say you "wrestle" them.

Obviously, I was not very successful, despite being a Scot!

No, I don't play any musical instrument. I did try but was not a good student.

Not a huge bagpipe fan, too much screeching for me.

These guys are quite good and played at a wedding i was at a few years ago.

https://youtu.be/7uqoJ1_spiQ

When I was in elementary school they gave me a metal triangle and said "when everyone else does this, hit the triangle with this hammer thing". I must not have been hitting it at the right times, because I wasn't in the class long  :(

Jackie play the bagpipes!! I recorded some at Libby Highland games for them. Not polite where she told me to put it??

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom