Interview with Barry Gibb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom said:
Rummaging through Youtube, I stumbled on this great interview with Barry Gibb, the only remaining member of the 4 Bee Gees brothers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDuIsPwOk7E

I had seen this-- very interesting. Pretty amazing group that had a large impact on a whole generation. Always liked their music  and yes, even their disco phase!  :)

Did you see the promos for the HBO special about the group?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9850386/

Thanks for that link, I hadn't seen it. In addition to Barry's song writing and their individual vocal abilities, their unique harmonizing is something that's almost impossible to replicate.

When I auditioned with a barbershop chorus, they had to give me a pass on the spontaneous harmonizing (aka woodshedding). They told me "you have everything else nailed down, but we can see you can't harmonize". I can't do it to this day.

Today I watched The Story Of The Bee Gees, 44 mins (freebie on amazon Prime). A little overlap with the interview with Barry Gibb, but filled in some gaps. I mentioned to Chris that these were "good looking guys with slim bods", and all she said was "yep".

Thanks for this.  I watched the HBO special a couple of weeks back.  I was never really much of a Bee Gees fan, because I was a disco hater when they were at their peak in the disco era.  In fact, it wasn't until a few years ago when I discovered all their music before the disco era that I became a fan.  Incredible story, and an incredible band.  I look back now and realize how much good music I missed because I was such a hippie head and it was rock and roll or nothing.  I thank the Internet for giving me the world of music at the touch of the fingers.  There is a lot of music in the world.

Wow, thanks.  Wonderful interview.  Brought back good good memories.

Because of this topic, I went looking for the HBO program about the Bee Gees. I was in high school when I got my first Bee Gees album in the 60s. I sort of lost interest in the disco era (same kind of hippie guy. Had one of those Disco Sucks t-shirts). Some of the disco era music they made was still high enough caliber for me to consider it good, when heard from the distance of 2020.

I remember either reading or hearing a piece on their later collaborations with other artists that if the Bee Gees were involved, the artist was guaranteed to sell at least a million records. In terms of talent, not many achieved their level, in my opinion.

The BeeGees were gigantic in the 70s but for some reason a lot of people didn't like them because they hated disco. That was their loss, no the BGs loss. Saturday Night Fever was one of the greatest movies of the 70s. I ran into John Travolta at Disneyland in the 80s and he stopped and shot the bull with us (him and his girlfriend, my sister, my BIL and my girlfriend). He could not have been nicer to us. My sister asked his girlfriend what it was like to date John she said "Heavenly!"

Back
Top Bottom