What's your go-to instrument?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Every morning, I warm up with my 12-string Martin guitar. Right behind it is my 8-string Kala ukulele. I have a tough time "picking" notes on these instruments, so I revert to my 6-string Yamaha guitar and 4-string 'Fluke' ukulele.

One of these days I'll spring for a Martin 6-string guitar and a 4-string Kanile'a ukulele, both $$$$.

If only my singing voice would return. Maybe I could imitate the Barry Gibb falsetto voice  ???

My limited space and budget leaves me at 1 6 string Dobro. If I get a windfall I might look for a mandolin or a banjo.

You can't swing a cat here and not hit a ukulele.  Seems to be an explosion of retirees and ukes.

This week I've been picking up a 1970s Takamine classical guitar.  I put new strings on it a week ago so I spend more time tuning than playing but that will change soon.  I'm planning on using it in a studio project soon.

A 12 string Dobro?  Woo hoo!  I'd like to get my mitts on one of those.

8Muddypaws said:
This week I've been picking up a 1970s Takamine classical guitar.  I put new strings on it a week ago so I spend more time tuning than playing but that will change soon.  I'm planning on using it in a studio project soon.

A 12 string Dobro?  Woo hoo!  I'd like to get my mitts on one of those.

Well, fixed my fat fingered typing,  I have ONE 6 string Dobro.  I have see 8 and 10's, but not a 12 string Dobro.  Not sure how that would be setup.  If one were made.  the 8 and 10 strings just have different notes, wonder if the 12 would be set like a 12 string guitar?

OK,  looks like there were some made, here is one being played. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYSWYiAOZXE

Round neck though, haven't found any evidence of a square neck.

Russ, I watched a video on the Takamine factory. Quite a bit of craftsmanship goes into every guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4xLqbbnYDw

This week I've been picking up a 1970s Takamine classical guitar.
They make nice instruments. Back in the mid-70s, DW bought me an F-385 12 string, a sweet sounding unit, and plays so nicely. That was back when they were fairly new in the U.S. market, and didn't have name-brand recognition. About a year ago I saw and tried a used 6 string Takamine in the Guitar Center, and it played and sounded sweet also -- I wish now that I'd bought it. And recently I've noticed several big name country stars with Takamine guitars, including Jimmy Fortune.

[quote author=Larry N]About a year ago I saw and tried a used 6 string Takamine in the Guitar Center, and it played and sounded sweet also...[/quote]
Larry, when I bought my first guitar, not knowing what I was buying, the music store told me "we also have Takamine". I'd never heard of them and assumed they were some Chinese knockoff. Didn't even look at them  :-[ One of these days I might trade one of my Yamahas for a Takamine.

Will do Larry, thanks. If my favorite 'almost local' music store has them, they've set up tables outside the store.

https://www.lamorindamusic.com/

I played a Takamine 12 string for about 15 years.  It was a beast!  I sure wish I hadn't traded it away for a Yamaha Tx81Z (DX-7 without a keyboard) and a Digitech multi effects rack that I still use about once a year.

Truth be told I think I just got tired of tuning it.  Or maybe I was clearing a space for my first Taylor?

Check this out. Playing solo on an acoustic guitar. Not bad for a young kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33YcYLumEDk&list=RDv_eGT1yoVis&index=10

SeilerBird said:
My go to is my edrums. :)) :)) :))

As a drummer I've always MUCH prefers acoustic drums and percussion... but I can understand how electronic kits make more sense for small spaces, especially RV use!

[quote author=Tom55555]Playing solo on an acoustic guitar.[/quote]

Thanks for the link Mike. Enjoyed watching that young lad play.

scottydl said:
As a drummer I've always MUCH prefers acoustic drums and percussion... but I can understand how electronic kits make more sense for small spaces, especially RV use!
I barely have room for the edrums. An acoustic set would take up twice as much room that I do not have. But I am lucky. I love the edrums and prefer them over acoustic. I love the built in sets, songs and rhythms.

Tom said:

Some people say genes pass a generation. My Dad could play a piano by ear. My daughter can play any sheet music on a half a dozen instruments. Me, I got nothing. I know talent when I hear it but I don't have any. LOL.

I was having a discussion with our band Music Director (a long-time friend) just yesterday. I've seen him listen to a song/tune I knew he'd never heard before, then immediately picked up one of my guitars and played it. He's also a good singer, but admits to needing to read lyrics. He puts his musical talent down to his Mom, who was the musical one in their family.

I can hear a song and reproduce it vocally. I've been told by numerous folks, including 'good' musicians and vocal coaches/therapists that I always hit every note, although I can't tell if I'm hitting the note. I couldn't tell you the words of the first line of a song I'm about to sing, but I open my mouth and the "right" words and melody come out. My Dad and I both sang from an early age. My Grandfather used to take my Dad to "rich people's houses" when he was 8 to sing to help put food on the table for the large family.

Attachments

• AlecSinging-c1919-2.jpg
    AlecSinging-c1919-2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 9
Tom said:

Maybe R rated but I love the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKLnmMacEB4&list=PL6giaKx8O3QR-39vXWC0IjyVHWq1phcAI&index=8

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom