Camp site lengths in Yellowstone NP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmatt596

Hi All,
Asking this for my daughter. She reserved a 20 ft space at Yellowstone. Then sold their TT. Now buying another TT. Overall length is 20ft 9in. Is the 9 inches a deal breaker for the 20 ft space?
Thanks in advance.
Bill

SeilerBird said:
I doubt anyone will be measuring.

Particularly if that's to the end of the tongue--the obvious response would be you didn't think that was included.

But this thread is proof of something often said here.  People often by a second RV that is larger than the first!  ;D ;D ;D

This is a hard one to answer, and depends what sort of site she has.  We stayed at 3 campgrounds in Yellowstone in the summer of 2017 (Grant, Canyon, and Fishing Bridge) in our 28 ft motohrome (29'5" bumper to bumper), and booked 30 ft back in sites at all 3 campgrounds, they ranged from barely long enough down to I am amazed we fit. One was so short that I put out orange marker cones by the front bumper as we were so close to the camping loop road I was worried we might get clipped by someones towing mirrors.  Also as of 2017 the 30 ft sites we had at Canyon and Grant Campgrounds were just that, about 10 ft wide and 30 ft long, with no place to park a detached second vehicle, with saplings growing up at the edge of the pavement all around, so no overhanging the back of the site, and probably no place to put out slides (we don't have any).  Only the site we had at Fishing Bridge had a shorter space next to it for a second vehicle.  Out of the 3 so called 30 ft sites the longest one we had was maybe 32 ft overall.

This was very different from the pull though site we had at Mather Campground at the Grand Canyon in 2019, which was advertised as 27 ft max,  though was in reality about 75 ft long, though arching and somewhat narrow, and a tight turn at the entrance, and was probably really limited to about 30-31 ft without clipping a tree or rock entering the site, which just goes to show these site measurements can be off both ways.

When we visited Mammoth Campground they measured you but I think that was for way over 20ft....

I as well think she will be fine. What does the side of the camper say.  Often there are numbers like 21bh, stands for 21' bunk house, might draw suspicion.  She could always call them anonymously and ask.  8)

If she knows the site number and has a map of the campground she could then use Google Maps to see what the site looks like for length.

Washington State Parks has 20', 25' etc. length sites, but there's no fee difference.  It's only being able to fit in, but they do tend to be conservative.  Anything that's not a tent site could probably hold a 21' trailer with a tow vehicle attached.

Anything that's not a tent site could probably hold a 21' trailer with a tow vehicle attached.
Not everywhere -- Colorado's Mueller State Park, though it has sites of varying sizes, even large ones, has at least one site that was snug for a 20' trailer (a Trailmanor, opened to 24'), and the tow vehicle almost fit sideways next to (and slightly on) the road.

Larry N. said:
Not everywhere -- Colorado's Mueller State Park,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is not in the Washington State Park system, which is what the sentence you quoted was referring to!  ;-)

Thanks for all the replies. She called Yellowstone. They told her that no one was their ad the campground is closed until the end of March.
Good idea about Google Earth.
Thanks

If you know the reserved site number you may be able to find it on 360 drive through videos on youtube you don't say which campground, but here is one for Grant Village campground at Yellowstone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56nDwVmgUOU  They are available for most popular National Park campgrounds, I used their video before booking our "27 ft" site at Mather Campground at the Grand Canyon in 2019.

bmatt596 said:
Thanks for all the replies. She called Yellowstone. They told her that no one was their ad the campground is closed until the end of March.
Good idea about Google Earth.
Thanks

Is that a seasonal closing or Covid?  If the former it might help to try a different campground.

BTW, we were last there maybe five years ago, but one campground we stayed at had cell service and the other didn't.  I believe the one that did was the Grant Village Campground, which Google Maps does indicate is temporarily closed.  The one that didn't may have been Madison, but I'm less certain of that.

When we were there in 2017 we had AT&T cell service at the Grant Village Visitor center, but not at our camp site.

Isaac-1 said:
When we were there in 2017 we had AT&T cell service at the Grant Village Visitor center, but not at our camp site.

I think I was Verizon back then.

BTW, Google Maps Satellite view turns out is pretty worthless at assessing site length.  The sites just are not well defined.

Goodspike said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is not in the Washington State Park system, which is what the sentence you quoted was referring to!  ;-)
Apologies, then -- I didn't take it that way. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom