Tow bar plates installation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went to a local auto mechanic who previously installed a Roadmaster rear anti-sway bar.

He did a good job installing a Demco tow plate on a 2017 Ford Fiesta but it took him three hours. The instructions said two hours but there was some trim work on the bumper that needed to be done.

You just need to find someone that does good work. I had U-Haul install a 2" receiver on the front of my RV. They had to trim the bumper but it looks factory installed.

You don't need to do any wiring if you buy the right braking system and magnet lights. I purchased the RVi3 with the tire pressure monitor.

I've done two myself but the last one was professionally installed by a local hitch specialty shop. Most newer vehicles require a lot more disassembly and I'm getting older, fatter and lazier.  ;D

Best bet,  read the install instructions first, then decide.  Some require a lot more disassembly than others.
Knowyour limits, know you're tools. 

I have installed base plates on 3 toads in the last 15 years, did them all myself. 

None of the 3 went on easily.  Each had something that I had to modify to get every bolt to match the hole it is supposed go into.  Generally 3 bolts would go in nicely, but the 4th was difficult to insert.  I had to slightly (1/16" or 1/8" enlargement of a hole) to get the last bolt to go in. I always tried multiple postitions of the 1st 3 bolts but the 4th would not fit w/o hole modification.

On my 2020 Chevy Colorado, the entire front cowling had to be removed.  A lot of it looks like a bumper, but is just a piece of plastic.  It is a tedious job to remove and even more time consuming to get back on.  It would be lots easier if I could have put the truck up on lift and work on it standing up.

When we bought our new Buick Envision this past fall I hired one of the dealership's body guys to do the baseplate install on his time.  Charged me $95.  He knew what he was doing with the front facia work.  I did the diode light kit myself and moved my Roadmaster Invisibrake sysem myself.
If you know a local mechanic it would likely be your best bet.

Me.  Have done a 2011 Honda Element SC,  2008 Honda Civic, 2003 Tacoma  and a couple of jeeps.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I've done two myself but the last one was professionally installed by a local hitch specialty shop. Most newer vehicles require a lot more disassembly and I'm getting older, fatter and lazier.  ;D

Gary, I agree, just because you can do it doesn't mean you should.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom