Replacement for Samson GL285T's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scran

Hello! I know there is a lot of talk about tires on the forums. I've been running Samson GL285T (ST235/85R16) tires on our Montana, for years, and really like them! I picked up at least 1mpg when I made the switch and the trailer really seems to ride much nicer. We have had NO issues with them. However, they will be 5 years old this summer and I'm looking to replace them before then. Unfortunately, I'm finding it hard to find them. While I would prefer what I already know... (the Samson's), I'm open to other suggestions. I am, however, looking for a tire with a "G" load range and a 14-ply side wall.

In talking with some tire folks in the area, and some friends, I've been recommended - Sailun S637, Trailer King RST, and Goodyear G614. I'd be interested if any of you have experience with these, or might have other ideas! As mentioned, If I can find the Samson's, and order them in (newly minted (2021), I'm inclined to go that way, as I really like the cold rating of 95psi (as opposed to 110). I come from 'up north' (ND) originally, and we retired and are now living in AZ. We bought the Samson's up north, as farmer friends suggested them. They had been running them on grain wagons and a number of farm trailers, etc. and claimed they held up much better than anything they'd been buying, and seemed to last 3-4 times longer. The biggest problem they seemed to have was a lack of side-wall strength, especially when encountering rocks, awkward angles or other out of the ordinary conditions. He claims the side-wall strength on the Samson's is, for some reason, much better than other tires he has run. They claim the sidewall is strong enough to provide some support even when flat. I like that idea! Again, we tried them and have really liked them, so have no reason to complain. They are MUCH better than the Goodyear's (pre-Endurance) we had on the trailer, initially and were in the $120/ea range, new. Honestly, those old Goodyear's were just 'crap', IMHO!

So............let's hear it! If you've got a similar setup and 'really like' your tires, I'll be interested in hearing from you! BTW, I'm also kind of anal about making sure my pressure is checked every morning prior to departure and have TPMS which monitors pressures AND temperatures, which really helps. We've had NO ISSUES with tires since we made the switch (2015) and travel for 5-6 months every summer (mid-May to mid-Oct) and generally put 8-10,000 miles on every summer (except this last one, damn Covid..... :-\) - and would like to keep it that way!

Blessing to all and your families in these less than ideal conditions. 2021 has GOT to be better! Ya-hoo!

Plenty of samsons in your size available but this was the least expensive that I found with a quick search
https://www.ebay.com/i/154060430576?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=154060430576&targetid=1071860202461&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9030014&poi=&campaignid=11613469350&mkgroupid=112679492389&rlsatarget=pla-1071860202461&abcId=9300455&merchantid=101644889&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxJaH6oWO7gIV9xatBh2aBwB2EAQYBSABEgIgTPD_BwE

I use that same size tire on my Alpine, but what makes me "nervous" is I can't seem to find what those particular tires are rated for weight wise. What are they rated for?

The specs for the Samson GL285T 235/80R16 shown on Simpletire.com list it as Load Range G and 4079 lbs.

https://simpletire.com/brands/samson-tires/trailer-service-gl285t#anchor=SiteProductSpecs
Tires-easy has a nice spec chart on it also:
https://www.tires-easy.com/235-80-16/samson-tires/gl285t/tirecode/88147-2

Apparently there is (or was) also a 235/85R16 size in the same model, but detailed specs don't seem to be available. And the tire is "out of stock" at most suppliers, so I'm wondering if the 80 profile replaced the 85 profile in the Samson GL285T brand.

Thanks to darsben for the ebay links! I guess I never even thought about Ebay. Appreciate the nudge in that direction. I made a few phone calls, locally - Discount Tire, Big O, etc. - and they don't deal in them and don't seem interested, or can't. I originally bought these from a Royal Tire store, next to a truck stop up north, and can't seem to find a Royal here in AZ. The other new thing they introduced me to were balancing ballast (bags inside the tires) that seem to do a great job of keeping things in balance and smooth. Instead of weights applied to strategic locations on the rims, the bags of ballast naturally migrate to those out-of-balance locations via centrifugal force. Nobody had ever offered, or suggested that before and, from my perspective, it seems to work very well. Often used on 18 wheelers.

rbrdriver - The 235/85R16's show a load range "G" rating and a rating of 4,400lbs @ 110psi

Still have interest in anyone who may have experience with the others I indicated, as well!

So you are able to air them up to 110 then I reckon. What concerned me was when it was stated that you air them up to 95 only, therefore I assumed a lower weight rating.

rbrdriver said:
So you are able to air them up to 110 then I reckon. What concerned me was when it was stated that you air them up to 95 only, therefore I assumed a lower weight rating.

Yes, 110psi, cold is their rating. However, I have come to find that a starting pressure of 95psi in the early morning, will almost always put me at a 110psi (or more) operating pressure in pretty quick order. I tend to use 95 as, here in AZ, and throughout much of the south, especially from May into October, if you start out at 110 you are always running 'overinflated' by the time your tires warm up, and likely much overinflated, as you continue your day. This, of course, also builds more heat and breaks down your tires, even quicker!

Again, I do really like the Samson's and have had great luck with them. However, I am certainly open to other ideas of a similar, or better, nature. So far I don't know that I have found anything 'better'. The Goodyear G614's would seem to be a good choice, as it fits the load rating I'm looking for, in an American made tire. If they just weren't 2.5 times the cost, I would certainly consider them!

BTW....anyone reading this familiar with these? ST 235/85R16 G 14 Ply Transeagle ASC All Steel Radial Trailer Tire - here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/Transeagle-Radial-Steel-Premium-Trailer/dp/B07M78YM65

However, I have come to find that a starting pressure of 95psi in the early morning, will almost always put me at a 110psi (or more) operating pressure in pretty quick order. I tend to use 95 as, here in AZ, and throughout much of the south, especially from May into October, if you start out at 110 you are always running 'overinflated' by the time your tires warm up, and likely much overinflated, as you continue your day. This, of course, also builds more heat and breaks down your tires, even quicker!

Sorry, no nice way to say it, but that is totally wrong thinking.  First of all, "cold" pressure means the pressure when the tire has not been heated up by driving on it. Never ever adjust it downward for more heated conditions later in the day. Second, exceeding the cold pressure shown on the sidewall is not being "overinflated" - the tire engineers have designed for the expected increase from driving, higher ambient temps, etc.

Your tire psi should be set to the pressure needed for the weight the tire carries and set while the tire is cold. That will often be less than the sidewall value, which is the psi needed at maximum weight load.  Don't try to anticipate how psi changes later in the day - set it when 'cold' and leave it.

That's what I always thought.  I have Providian tires that came with my rig (yes they are made in China but so far seem to be good tires) and they are rated at 110 psi. I have a heavy rig which is always maxed out and sometimes even a little over so therefore I want the maximum carrying capacity I can squeeze out of everything involved in the suspension.  I have been kicking around the possibility of upgrading to 8000 lb. axles (currently have 7000 now), and going to H tires.  ???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom