Modifying cabinet for tv lift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prnebs

We are considering a new to us motorhome.  One of the changes I would like to do is move the tv from the awkward place it is in to put a tv lift in the existing cabinet.  Can I get some advise?  thanks

Attachments

• TS tv fireplace 2.jpg
    TS tv fireplace 2.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 52
  • TS cabinet 2.jpg
    TS cabinet 2.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 51
Is there any plumbing, wiring, framing, wheel humps or other oddity behind the new cabinet?

RV cabinetry isn't the same as regular cabinetry, I found out the hard way. Sometimes it's bolted to the wall frame from the outside before the outer skin is put on making it extremely hard to remove. Can you install the lift without removing the cabinet? With all those small drawers and doors you may need to find a way to disassemble the lift and reassemble it inside the cabinet, or it may fit straight down through the slot you cut in the top. Double check!

You'll need to rewire the power to the underside of the cabinet. Do you have a spare space in your circuit breaker box? It's may be easier to run a whole new line than trying to open up the walls to re-route an existing circuit. You'll need enough power to run the lift, the TV and any DVD player. A 15A circuit should be fine.

Any sources will need signal wiring as well (DVD, antenna/cable). If you relocate them to the new cabinet that's pretty easy if you leave them in the old cabinet you need to find a way to run cable under the floor to the new TV location.

It's not rocket science but I'd say you're in for a whole weekend to do a decent job.

JayArr said:
Is there any plumbing, wiring, framing, wheel humps or other oddity behind the new cabinet?

RV cabinetry isn't the same as regular cabinetry, I found out the hard way. Sometimes it's bolted to the wall frame from the outside before the outer skin is put on making it extremely hard to remove. Can you install the lift without removing the cabinet? With all those small drawers and doors you may need to find a way to disassemble the lift and reassemble it inside the cabinet, or it may fit straight down through the slot you cut in the top. Double check!

You'll need to rewire the power to the underside of the cabinet. Do you have a spare space in your circuit breaker box? It's may be easier to run a whole new line than trying to open up the walls to re-route an existing circuit. You'll need enough power to run the lift, the TV and any DVD player. A 15A circuit should be fine.

Any sources will need signal wiring as well (DVD, antenna/cable). If you relocate them to the new cabinet that's pretty easy if you leave them in the old cabinet you need to find a way to run cable under the floor to the new TV location.

It's not rocket science but I'd say you're in for a whole weekend to do a decent job.

I was an optimist and hoped it would be an easy answer.  But thank you so much for the info, sounds like you've done this before.    We are going to check the coach again tomorrow & I'll look at everything. Thanks again.

It would be prudent to consider how secure the TV will be in retracted position.  Bear in mind the vibration and jostling that the coach undergoes while in transit. 

What is that white area to the left on the new cabinet? I have a tv on a lift in a similar cabinet. But mine came from the factory.  Mine is centered left to right and the lift occupies all the space behind the center doors. When the tv is all the way down, a flap cut out of the  counter lowers and covering the opening.  If whatever  that white thing is needs to stay there, the lift and tv will need to be moved to the right and you'll lose the drawers.
And of course the wiring will need to be installed.

ChasA said:
What is that white area to the left on the new cabinet? I have a tv on a lift in a similar cabinet. But mine came from the factory.  Mine is centered left to right and the lift occupies all the space behind the center doors. When the tv is all the way down, a flap cut out of the  counter lowers and covering the opening.  If whatever  that white thing is needs to stay there, the lift and tv will need to be moved to the right and you'll lose the drawers.
And of course the wiring will need to be installed.
Not sure which area you mean, but where the 3 controls are behind the passenger seat on the wall between the entry door, to the frame of the slide. The cabinet (built in with the rest of the cabinets) and & kitchen are on the slide. there is a light switch on the left on the slide wall, and an outlet and what looks to me like a phone (?) outlet on the back.  I sure the drawers would need to be out and some kind of shelf to hold the dvd & whatever else would be needed.  We looked at it again today and looks like it would be hard to actually take the cabinet out. I hope that answers your question, I don't have a better picture. Your set up is what I was wanting, but it may not work. Thanks

I would think you?d want to install it as close to the window as possible. Will it hit the top cabinets when you raise it?

Installing the required cabling so it will move with the slide doesn?t sound like a lot of fun.

We had this done by a cabinet making in Red Bay, AL - Chris Berry. We wanted to keep the cabinets and drawers so he basically made a 9? extension to the cabinets. The TV lift went in the new area. Electrical and entertainment system access was easy since there was an outdoor TV nearby to splice to. Measure the lift and TV carefully. You want it to extend fully without hitting the valences. Ours clears front to back about an inch and top by 1/2?. Extra mounting wood was added to support the lift. It is not a minor job.

Rene T said:
I would think you?d want to install it as close to the window as possible. Will it hit the top cabinets when you raise it?

I thought so to.  It would be nice to use the top for laptop etc when the tv isn't up.  I would have to measure.  We could get a smaller, newer tv if needed. Thanks

I didn't even consider it was on a slide & the issues that would be.  Since it is on the same slide as the kitchen we thought it would just kinda tie in with that.  We don't have an outside tv but the bay under the slide is empty.

We are going to have to get someone to look at it.  Even though DH is very handy, it would be too big a job for us to try.  But I appreciate all the information and feel like we can have an informed conversation now.  Thank you so much!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom