Pennsylvania to Glacier NP late August into September

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinH

We're planning a trip from Central PA to Glacier NP, leaving August 25th to arrive in early September to stay near the park for about a week before the return trip.  We'll be taking time each direction to break up the driving and see some of the sights along the way, especially National Parks. 

At this stage, we just starting to plan our route.  We'll have made a few local and intermediate trips in our new 33' travel trailer and newish tow vehicle.

Any suggestions or precautions to offer as far as itinerary, especially west of Illinois would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

Be aware that GNP in September could have some snow. It's not all the time, but the high country can have snow most any time from Sept to May, though the end points are the least likely.

It should also be noted that the Going to the Sun road, which crosses the park east to west is vehicle size limited, see https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/gtsrinfo.htm

Thanks for your responses.

Reservations are filling up already.  We found a spot at the West Glacier KOA for the duration of our stay.  We may take one of the vintage red tourist coaches for a day trip and let someone else do the driving on Going to the Sun Road, or just take the truck and take our time on this road when the weather allows.

Google Maps wants to route us around the south end of GNP via Hwy 2 to get to the KOA.  Other routes seem to be way out of the way.

Kevin

You should be fine regarding snow at the lower elevations although frost will be a strong possibility so have warm clothing. A lot of cg's close down after Labor Day so plan accordingly.

Larry N. said:
Be aware that GNP in September could have some snow. It's not all the time, but the high country can have snow most any time from Sept to May, though the end points are the least likely.

SeilerBird said:
I hope you have chains for your RV. Glacier in September will possibly have snow.

Tom brings up another good point: Chainlaws. In Colorado there are certain areas where you are required to have chains or adequate snow tires, etc.  when snow is possible. From the Colorado DOT site: "Passenger Vehicle Chain Law | Colorado General Assembly Passenger Vehicle Chain Law During the months when snow is possible, all passenger vehicles weighing 16,001 pounds or less and accommodating up to 15 passengers must be equipped with the following: tire chains or an alternate traction device;"

Larger vehicles and commercial vehicles have more stringent requirements.

From the MDT site: "Tire chains may be required at any time, anywhere in the state of Montana. They are required on the mountain passes when the chain up sign is posted."

This type of requirement is normal in the mountain states, so be aware -- it can be invoked any time it may be needed.

KevinH said:
We're planning a trip from Central PA to Glacier NP, leaving August 25th to arrive in early September to stay near the park for about a week before the return trip.  We'll be taking time each direction to break up the driving and see some of the sights along the way, especially National Parks. 

At this stage, we just starting to plan our route.  We'll have made a few local and intermediate trips in our new 33' travel trailer and newish tow vehicle.

Any suggestions or precautions to offer as far as itinerary, especially west of Illinois would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hello Kevin!

Quite a trip you have planned.  The Black Hills area may be worth a few days.  Having traveled both I-80 and I-90, I prefer 90.  Fewer trucks.

As noted, September weather in the high country can be problematic.  If you plan on a few extra days ?just in case?, you?ll be okay. We usually see our first ?warning snow? sometime in September, but it doesn?t last.  Carry clothing for layering up as needed.

These days, if I need chains on truck/camper, I?ve screwed up watching the weather ;) I have a set in the truck but no longer carry camper chains.

Where in central PA? I grew up in Clinton Co., about 2 miles south of the I-80 route.  Left for school before the final section was completed.  Now, lotsa miles west and years later, I live about 2 miles south of I-80.

Safe travels and have fun!

I second the recommendation regarding the Black Hills area. I also recommend the Minuteman Missle National Museum, the tour of the nearby launch facility and self guided tour of a Missle launch site. All near the Badlands National Park. We timed our travel through the area so that we stayed one night in the Badlands National Park.

Glacier Park is huge and there are ?two? sides.  I prefer the eastern side ... less congestion of traffic and more animals ... you can also access the Canadian National Park from the East ... you can still drive to the West side via Logan pass and see that too.  Black Hills has a lot to offer ... be sure to see Devil?s Tower too.  When entering Montana, stick to I-90, go through Gillette & Sheridan ... your GPS may send you through southeast Montana on a state road with limited services and less road maintenance.  Another warning for Northeastern Wyoming ... avoid Alt Hwy 14 if you want to cross the Big Horn Mountains.  There?s an extremely steep section called the ?10 by 10? and roughly translates to ten miles of road with up to 10% grade.  It is the definition of white knuckles!

I anticipated the possibility of snow holding us down for a day or so, but not tire chain requirements.  I'll plan accordingly.

Richclover and Doc Roads,
Thanks for the recommendations about I-90.  Black Hills, Badlands, Minuteman all sound great.  I will avoid the Alt Hwy 14 "10 by 10".

Richclover, We're outside of Bellefonte in Centre County.  I've spent a lot of weekends with scouts in canoes on the West Branch of the Susquehanna River.

KevinH said:
I anticipated the possibility of snow holding us down for a day or so, but not tire chain requirements.  I'll plan accordingly.

Richclover and Doc Roads,
Thanks for the recommendations about I-90.  Black Hills, Badlands, Minuteman all sound great.  I will avoid the Alt Hwy 14 "10 by 10".

Richclover, We're outside of Bellefonte in Centre County.  I've spent a lot of weekends with scouts in canoes on the West Branch of the Susquehanna River.

I grew up in the big old house beside Fishing Creek in Lamar, route 64.  Left for Navy/school in 1964.  Folks moved out in the mid-70?s.  I have been back for a high school reunion, late 80?s.  Pretty country!

Kevin, is your truck 4wd?
If so that will satisfy most winter road restrictions. 

I do have 4 wheel drive.  I can prepare with good tires and chains.  If caught in September snow with the trailer, I?m hopeful that I can wait out the storm and leave on cleared roads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom