rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Yamaha EF1000iS Fuel Tank Conversion  (Read 151 times)

CGlas

Yamaha EF1000iS Fuel Tank Conversion
« on: January 12, 2021, 11:23:32 AM »
Hi all, Iíve recently purchased an Okanagan 811SL TC and love it, but we all know the storage constraints that come with a TC.

Hence the reason I purchased a small Yamaha EF1000iS generator, which works awesome for boondocking when needed in the summer.

My issue with the generator is if Iím out in the bush hunting, and itís -20, I want it to be able to run all night without refueling, under a 900w load it will only run for 4 hours with the existing tank.

So my question is, has anyone ever bypassed (or put a tank selector valve in) the gravity fed tank, and used a low pressure (2-4 psi) 12v inline pump from a jerrycan to fuel this generator?

Will the float in the carb be able to hold back the excess fuel being such low pressure?

The generator itself has 12v to power the pump, so the safety issue of the pump running when the generator cuts out is not a concern.

Cheers

cerd

• ---
Re: Yamaha EF1000iS Fuel Tank Conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 08:51:40 AM »
I was discussing this with my FIL last summer.

If you put a ventless tank higher than the generator, put an open hose from the aux tank into the gen tank, it should syphon fuel into constantly refilling the generator tank. By closing the valve on the aux tank, it creates a makeshift check valve. When the bottom of the hose is exposed to air, it will pour fuel out into the generator tank. When it is submerged in the fuel, it will not be able to breathe so it will not flow.

But if your generator uses a factory fuel pump like the Honda IGs, you can just use a modified gas cap adapter to connect the aux tank and the pump will do the rest.
1990 Chevy G30 Gulfstream Ultra Class C
350TBI

Lou Schneider

• Global Moderator
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 10:18:34 AM »
Here' a link to a gas cap adapter for Yamaha and other generators:

https://www.amazon.com/Camoo-Generator-Extended-Aluminum-Powerhorse/dp/B07WYYFFHJ

A more accurate description is the auxiliary tank IS vented, and placed on the ground or at the same level as the generator's tank.   The cap seals the main tank and as fuel flows from the main tank into the carburetor, it creates a partial vacuum in the main tank, siphoning in fuel from the vented aux tank.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 10:27:52 AM by Lou Schneider »

cerd

• ---
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 10:53:30 AM »
I think this cap works for the generators with a fuel pump that is sealed , but from what I was reading, it may not work well in a gravity fed generator. There may or may not be enough vacuum.

I haven't needed to try either on my Wen gennys to confirm yet.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 10:55:44 AM by cerd »
1990 Chevy G30 Gulfstream Ultra Class C
350TBI

Lou Schneider

• Global Moderator
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 12:55:06 PM »
It said the cap's for:

Yamaha EF2000is, EF1000is, Coleman pm2000i,Powerhorse 2000,Ai Power sua2300i