1989 Shadow Cruiser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meredog

looking at a 1989 Shadow Cruiser (9')  this will allow me to tow a 28' racecar trailer directly off hitch without any extentions. this camper weighs 1395 lbs. with a reese equalizer with sway bar should it tow ok ?  Anyone familiar with this brand camper ?

Posting a message at around 4.00am Pacific Time and not having a response within 3 hours. Gee, why aren't folks responding  ???

Seriously, early hour aside, some folks will be in transit or otherwise offline for several days.

4 AM PCT  Hell I'm just rolling out of the sac.  No glasses can't even find the computer room let alone the computer. Still haven't even S, S, And Shaved yet.  Like asking for next weeks pay check fromthe Boss.  You know what that will get you.

SO APPARENTLY YOU GUYS ARE ALL EARLY RISERS ??  ;) ASIDE FROM THE BRAND NAME,  WHATS THE CONSENSES ON TOWING A 28' BUMPER PULL TRAILER WITH A CAMPER ON THE TRUCK ?

Better have a heck of a good truck to do so.  Forget any 1/2 ton  Get your specs on truck camper and truck Camper and have Carl and Gary check it out.  No dry weights

Shayne said:
Better have a heck of a good truck to do so.  Forget any 1/2 ton   Get your specs on truck camper and truck Camper and have Carl and Gary check it out.  No dry weights

Shane , my rig is listed in my signature.

the camper we are bidding on weighs 1395 #

the 28' bumper pull trailer will proably never exceed 11000# (loaded)

the truck has a gvw of 12200
the trailer has a gvw of 9,900#

06 Dodge Dually  automatic  Cummins diesel  air ride seats  jake brake  reese equalizer hitch with sway bar  10 ply tires

How do i get these specs to Carl and Gary ?

53' trailer we have been pulling
http://www.buggy.com/Images/0653.jpg

Shadow Cruiser makes good stuff but you're talking about a unit almost 20 years old. Check it out very well and make sure all the appliances are in good shape.

this camper has no shower---what is the outside showers i keep seeing advertised with some campers.  do most campgrounds offer showers

Most CG's have showers, and the outside shower on the camper is a wand with controls.  I have used mine in the past, something nice about showering outside.  Hang a privacy curtain to shield neighbors. 

As to Shadow Cruiser.  Not my favorite, but they seem to hang in there. 

At 1395 lbs it is light and probably pretty basic, but when towing what you want to tow, light is better.  Can you tow that weight?  I am sure you can pull anything, but can you stop i?  Thing is, the way pickup trucks are rated, it is easy to go outside of limits.  Should you do it?  Up to you.  I am likely a couple pounds over, but my truck handles it well.  Would that stand up in court?  Not likely.

As to not needing an extension, so long as your tow frame is long enough, thnk about tight turns.  I have a V nose trailer with an ext, and I managed to touch in a backing situation that was tighter than appeared to me in the mirror. 

Been doing well with the camper and towing. My son just got back from Nebraska with the camper and said he about froze to death in it. said the furnace ran all nite and was ok warm overhead where the bed is but was so cold on the floor the milk froze.  Whats up with this ?

Camper is just not built for those conditions.  You can modify it some, but when you right down to it, the SC is not made for those temps.

They no longer make truck campers, but they were not a bad camper. I would take one over a fleetwood, also out of business when it comes to TC's. For a first camper & if its at a reasonable price, go for it. You might want to ask the same question on the forum for the North American Truck camper owners association at www.natcoa-forum.com. Lots of experience there.

Well, i started doing some insulating on it today.  I put 1 1/2" pink styrofom between the floor joists under the entire floor today and then covered it with 1/4 luan.  I plan to put a sheet of the foil covered inulation board with a carpet over the top of it under the mattress. Also plan to redo the interior walls with 1" pink styrafom covered with some new paneling. Then will make up some storm windows.
  Won't have much invested in it and i think it should make it heat up ok.

Well have done well and used the Shadow Cruiser steadily since we got it---other than a good insulation job and adding an antenna it has been pretty much trouble free.  We are now considering upgrading to something newer if we can find a decent deal.

Back
Top Bottom