Confirming HF discussion via snail mail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Norm Vincent, a friend of 40 years, was a dedicated ham with several RX/TX sets at home and one in his car. When I stayed at his home near Newbury, UK Norm would entertain me into the wee hours in his "radio room".

Attached is a scan of his card which he apparently snail mailed to folks with whom he'd spoken on the air. Is this done nowadays?

Although we were both in the high tech business, it took many years to get Norm online and communicate via email. He preferred to communicate over the air.

Regrettably, Norm passed away a few years ago, but I have fond memories of our long working relationship, our friendship and the times we spent at each others' homes.

Attachments

• G3NVO.png
    G3NVO.png
    104.9 KB · Views: 39
Here's a photo of Norm's back yard with his crank-up antenna mast clearly in view.

Attachments

• Norm_house2.jpg
    Norm_house2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 37
I don't know if hams still send out QSL cards, but when I got my first ham ticket in 1954 (K9OQL) I amassed a good sized collection of them working strictly 6 meters from Milwaukee.  I was able to make contacts as far away as CA and FL on good nights.  When we moved from Milwaukee in 1995, Lorna made me get rid of my cards, too much weight :)

I am buildiung up a collection of QSL cards now.  There are basically 3 QSL (Confirmation) methods used that I know of

We still use snail mail and I am still sending out cards for "low band" and some high band contacts..

There is an electronic QSL service (www.eQSL.cc) that I also use

And "Log Book Of The World" which is the official ARRL supported Electronic QSL

The problem with paper is that for contacts here in the US it's not bad. (post card or 1st class letter rates) but just sending across the boarder to Canada is way more expensive and many other countries it's 90 cents for a 1st class and they want a IRC (international Reply Coupon) to send you one back,,, Those are two bucks a pop.  I've got two waiting to go international now, One is to Spain, One to Honduras.  Don't have the four bucks today... Well, yet today (mail has not come yet, expecting large check)

I didn't know they were called QSL cards. I learn something new every day.

BTW Norm's QSL card has been in my printer/scanner for a number of weeks, but the scan function had mysteriously quit working. When this and related discussions came up, I figured I'd download and install the latest driver and bingo it worked.

Back
Top Bottom