Ham radio license

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
How does one get a ham radio license and what are the requirements? Phil mentioned in this message that morse code is no longer a requirement.

Tom said:
How does one get a ham radio license and what are the requirements? Phil mentioned in this message that morse code is no longer a requirement.

Start here:

http://www.arrl.org/

Tom in another thread on this I mentioned the ARRL site.. I find the ARRL study guides to be the best.  We can also do on-line tutoring and such if you wish and need the help.

At some point you will need a zip code.  Go to the ARRL site and find the "Test sites" page, enter your zip code and it should tell you where and when you can find tests.. Around 14-20 dollars later you will know if you are or are not going to get a license. (This is to offset the cost of adminstrating the test)  Test is multiple guess.  Technician is 25 questions IIRC,  Extra is 50, don't know about General... I passed Extra on the 1st try.  (passed Novice 40 years ago and Technician on the first try too)  But then I'm good at taking tests.  Some folks take 3 or 4 or 5 or more tries.

NOTE: the fee is for test admin.  There is no charge for the license itself or for renewal 10 years later (At this time)

The court said "You can not charge them more than the license is worth" and since the rules prohibit us from being paid (Save in special cases) only compensated for costs incurred,  The license is worth... NOTHING. so they charge.. NOTHING.

I was cautioned when I was licensed to never study hand-me-down study guides as the safety information changes as do the tests themselves.  Pick up a current book dated 2007 and study from that.  I don't think those are ever any more than $25, a penny in a bucket compared to what Universities charge for textbooks.

Good advice... Normally.

The exception is if the study guide is "new"  IE: I just passed my Extra last Thanksgiving.... They are still using the same quesiton pool so the same study guide is still used.

Of course... I don't know where it is just now.

If you're new to ham radio, don't rule out learning CW mode (morse code) even though it's not a requirement any more.  The cw bands are loaded with old timers and newcomers alike, and especially during DX contests.  Arrl and CQ WW DX contests both have weekends for CW, besides the SSB weekends.  The HF bands are loaded with thousands of amateurs all over the world who will always work CW.    Deen, KC4ZD

I agree Deen... My call (WA8YXM) can be a bear to get repeated back to me on SSB right, I have heard a lot of versions of it, EVEN from folks who know me and have my delux QSL card (I have 3 different qsl cards, Old, Plain, Delux)

From time to time I've been known to say "LET's TRY THIS" and hit the cwid button.. That gets them right every time

Most public library have the study guides.  Passed on guides are great, so long as they are current.  There is also a practice test online.  I earned my novice back in 1964, it expired and I got a new one in about 1980.  Been continuous ever since.  I have been a volunteer examiner the past 10 years or so, just not associated with a testing group since my move.

Getting the license has never been easier, same with getting on the air.  2 meter mobile in an RV is fun.  10 meter radio from Radio Shack is inexpensive and a pretty decent radio.  Jolene bought me one for Christmas some years ago, my first contact was at 60 mph on an interstate with a YL (young lady), in Bulgaria. 

For the no cell phone while driving crowd, mobile comms are just not for you!  This is what a rest area can be used for. 

1- get a study guide - read the chapters, then read thru the sample questions, reread the areas giving you issue.
2- Take the online sample tests.  These are great, they give you the appropriate number of questions from each group, and your score when you finish.  If you pass this, you will pass on test day.
3- Find a test center, use the ARRL.org site with zip code.  Some test centers need an RSVP.  Be sure to find out. 
4- FB OM, GL  *(Fine Businees Old Man, Good Luck.  Morse was the first to use Text message like abbreviations. 

PS, learn morse code.  Fun to use, it is the mode that can always get thru. 

Oh, and free licenses, UNLESS you get a vanity call, in which case it is something like 14 for 10 years. 

PancakeBill said:
There is also a practice test online. 
Take the online sample tests.  These are great, they give you the appropriate number of questions from each group, and your score when you finish.  If you pass this, you will pass on test day.

Do you have a link for the online test Bill?

My license renewal just came in the mail.  Is it normal for them to ask for your social security number on a renewal?

Will said:
My license renewal just came in the mail.  Is it normal for them to ask for your social security number on a renewal?
Do your renewal on line, much easier & quicker. If you do not already have a "FRN" ("FCC registration number" required to do online registration/renewal) from the FCC, you can obtain that as well online.

Here is a couple of websites to speed things up for you
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do  Use this one to register for your "FRN"
http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/index.htm?job=home    Use this one to renew your license

Yes they now ask your SSN or TIN on the renewal

You should go to the online system, apply for and get an FCC renewal id number.  (I forget what they call it just now) then you can log in and do renewals online (They prefer on line to paper) you can also apply for a GMRS license for those FRS/GMRS radios everybody likes (Get caught using oh, say channel 19 on a FRS/GMRS w/o a GMRS license and you may find yorself w/o a ham license as well, Get "Caught" with a GMRS license (Mine is in the motor home) and you may have to get smelling salts to revive the FCC field agent as he passes out in shock.. But you get to keep your licenses)

I do on-line renewals.. Well.. Next year.

I think that once you get your FRN you don't need to supply your SSN again.  The FRN online renewal, or address change is a snap to use.

Last year when I decided to go for my "E" ticket (Extra class) here is how I went about it.. Starting in Quartzsite in January I picked up a discounted copy of the Gorden West Extra Study guide.  Gorden West publishes a study guide and conducts classes and tests and is perhaps the biggest insult to the hobby currently in production.  The FCC has a policy.. If they have questions about the manner in which you took your test, they can call you in for re-exam before and FCC examiner instead of a VEC (Volunteer Examiner Coordinator) Nearly all the applicants called in for re-exam are from tests administered by the Gordon West School.  ARRL test sites tend to pass inspection well.    That said, the study guide is a question answer hint book,  You memorize the answers.. This can trip you up and more than likely will trip you up if you get called in for re-exam.

The ARRL study guide explains how to arrive at the answer.. MUCH BETTER.. More on that later.  I did not know this when I got the Gordon West book..  That said, it was a good purchase and I do recommend it at one point.

I went though the book on the way to Dayton and very quickly ran up against the impassable wall...

Later I found some friends of mine were conduction a class (Milford (Michigan) ARC) (Amateur Radio club) and signed up, They used the ARRL book so off to http://www.arrl.org I dashed to place an order.  Completed 2/3 of the class and due to my travel plans had to test out early.

So.. The week BEFORE Thanksgiving week.. I spent most every free minute with the Gordon West book in one hand (It had all the questions) the ARRL book in the other, (It not only had the questions but the answer derivation) and when I was not doing that I was on QRZ.COM taking (And I might add passing) practice tests....

Drove to Fenton the Sat before Thanksgiving.. Figured I'd miss 5-10 questions (I think you pass at -13 but it might be -12, Computer shows 12.5 wrong as 75% and I think you need 75% to pass)

Missed 2

Got the license

First try

What is more impressive.. I was the first person to hand in my test for correction.. The gal beside me was taking the 25 question Technician test (She passed too)  I'm not sure what the others were taking.

On the way home I left a note for the teacher (Along with a form of an apple, gift cert at a place I know he eats)

Tuesday I attended one more class. taught by a sub,

After class I left town for 4 months

License is dated 12/27/2006

For 38 years I was stuck at Technician class... Now I'm stuck again.. At EXTRA.. Much nicer being stuck at EXTRA!!!!!

Side note on the time it took me to write the test.. In all my years in school taking tests I found that questions fall into two categories.. Easy ones (ones to which I know the answer) and hard ones (This usually means I don't know the answer) there are some medium ones (You can make a decent guess)  I have found that on the average, If I go back over a test and change my answwers.. Odds are about 2 or 3 to one the new answer will be WRONG.. So I'm better off not going over the test a 2nd time

This is why I finish first.. I do not re-check my answers.  I find I get better scores if I don't "Correct" already right answers :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom