Looking to put new fridge in pop-up camper...need advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RatherBFishin

Hi,

Hubby and I just purchased our first starter RV...it's a 1983 Starcraft pop-up camper and the fridge that was in it previously went out. I'm looking for a replacement but I want something safe for a pop-up, something that doesn't need to be removed when we fold it down and something that doesn't need alot of ventilation, since we'd like to put it in the small space the previous fridge occupied. Any suggestions????

TIA,
RBF
;)

RatherBFishin said:
Hi,

Hubby and I just purchased our first starter RV...it's a 1983 Starcraft pop-up camper and the fridge that was in it previously went out. I'm looking for a replacement but I want something safe for a pop-up, something that doesn't need to be removed when we fold it down and something that doesn't need alot of ventilation, since we'd like to put it in the small space the previous fridge occupied. Any suggestions????

TIA,
RBF
;)

Yup, try out the Dometic website at http://www.dometic.com/? ?They have a full range of absorption fridges listed with full specs various cubic capacities.    Just follow the links to recreational vehicle stuff and then to refridgerators.  Do the same for RV A/Cs.

I went the other way... Though by that time I had a SCAMP (Look them up, cute little buggers) not a pop up but this would have worked either way.

Origianlly I used coolers and the ice box, but when the camp ground I stay at which was supposed to be "Free" (Well, I pay dues) started charging $3.00/night for I went out and got a small "office size" frige, a compressor type.  It went in the tow-lumina Apv when on the road, small enough to run off a kw inverter.  And capable of going a number of hours (Tied shut) w/o power.

I set it OUTSIDE the camper when set up (Next to the door) so it worked fine.

Considering that I have a fire safety pamplet which says to turn propane off, and my MH has a gas/electric (120 vac only) frig, I kind of wonder why they don't use compressor jobs in motor homes.  I mean, it's not like I can't power it on the road.

Carl Lundquist said:
Yup, try out the Dometic website at http://www.dometic.com/? ?They have a full range of absorption fridges listed with full specs various cubic capacities.? ? Just follow the links to recreational vehicle stuff and then to refridgerators.? ?Do the same for RV A/Cs.

Thank so much for the link...Looks like they might have what I need. I need to measure the spot the old fridge was in, then I'll pick my model. As for the A/C, I'm not going to attempt to install one on the roof, not sure the lifting mechanism will be able to handle the new weight, so I'm looking at cutting a hole somewhere and putting in a small A/C with a fan to keep the coils cool. Still looking around the internet for the best way to do this. I'm going to see if I can get into the PU today ( we don't actually have it on hand right now , since we just bought in on Thursday and haven't had our tow hitch installed yet ( to move it to our location ). The family we got it from was nice enough to store it for us until we get the van in the RV shop to have the work done.

RBF

As for the A/C, I'm not going to attempt to install one on the roof, not sure the lifting mechanism will be able to handle the new weight, so I'm looking at cutting a hole somewhere and putting in a small A/C with a fan to keep the coils cool.

You know that A/C is going to be a bit of an issue given the need for 120VAC power.  Does your popup have provision for 120VAC power now?  How much one is going to do for you in a pop-up is another.  Kind of like air conditioning a tent.

Putting an AC in a tent camper (POP UP) is possible, I did it with my Apache, it really did help, temperture control is not much but it takes a lot of moisture out of the air and that really helps, plus the way I installed it the bed got the major benefit.

Note, I installed a standard window type AC such as I used to use in my house, in fact I used it in my house for a while

(IT was installed in the lower part of the trailer, very custom instalation)

Thanks for ALL the replies....you guys give great advice.

However Hubby say not to do all that, we are going to use a cooler for food and fans for cooling for now. He really wants to upgrade as soon as we can, which will be around income tax time  ::) He likes the PU we just bought but he wants more and a newer one at that. We got a good deal on this one and are going to hold onto it until next spring ( even after we purchase the newer one ) to sell on Ebay. I'm sure we can get more for it then we paid, maybe $900.00.  Anyway...I guess no playing for me  :'(, I love to tweak things but he won't let me this time...LOL! I will defentley post pictures and info. on the camp grounds we use this summer for everyone.

Happy RVing
RBF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom