rv show in hershey,pa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bassmanlow

Has anyone had any experiences with the rv show in Hershey, pa? 
Is it a good place to purchase an rv?

It's a great place to look at and compare RVs. As for buying there or at any show, it's a mixed bag. Dealers always advertise "show prices" but they are rarely any different than they would have gladly sold for at their own location. In other words, 10-15% off MSRP.  You can bargain for a much lower price at most larger dealerships, more like 20-30% off MSRP.

So if you are not good at bargaining with dealers, you may get the first 10-15% of discount more easily at a show like Hershey, but if you are an experienced negotiator you can get a better price whether at the show or elsewhere.

Sometimes at a show you can get a good price if they have the exact model you want and the show is nearing the end with no purchaser for that item. Salesmen hate to bring unsold goods back to the store!  Or if two dealers are showing the same brand/model you may be able to play them off against each other.

We bought a fifth wheel from a local dealer after the Hershey show last year. We ended up paying a few thousand dollars less than the show price for the same model through our local dealer.

The Hershey show is a manufacturers show, as opposed to a dealer show, so the different RV manufacturers usually only have one dealer representing their line. We bought a Montana and the dealer at the show representing Montana was from Indiana. Since we live in New Jersey we would have had to take delivery from the Indiana dealer at a local motel. They said any warranty issues would have been handled by a local dealer, but that didn't give me a real warm feeling.

As Gary said, the show is a great place look and compare. The Hershey show is the biggest show in the East and if I were in the market for a new RV I wouldn't miss it. If nothing else, it gives you a good place to start bargaining with your local dealers. 

Heck, I'm not in the market and I still wouldn't miss it. I'll be there next Saturday.

One of my disappointments with the Hershey Show is that of inside vendors. If you want jewelry or information of campgrounds, fine, but for new innovative items for the RVer, not so much. Can't compare it to an FMCA vendor display, but it's still a good show to kick tires on the new units especially for those of us who live really close to the show.

If anyone is interested, I am working on a new interactive online database for dump stations using mostly first-hand reports from RVers. For more information, contact me. And, yes, this is my first post to this forum. Good to be here.

Jack

Sunshein said:
.... I am working on a new interactive online database for dump stations using mostly first-hand reports from RVers.

Hi Jack, care to share that file with our members by having a copy in our forum library? If you're so inclined, feel free to email me a copy (click the 'envelope icon beneath my avatar) and I'll get it uploaded.

TIA

Tom, the iJaunts database is not one I can send to you since it is operated by software scripts and hosted by a database server. However, I would like anyone here to log on to it at: http://66.117.173.46:80/fmi/iwp/cgi?-db=iJaunts&-startsession, and since it is being a hosted database you need to log in using the account (user) name: "RVuser" and password: "12345" which is easy. Please note: this is a volunteer effort, and I am not selling anything.

Right now you will be logged off after 15 minutes of no activity. If that happens, just log back in.

The database capabilities include 380+ dump station locations. The ones with GPS coordinates also have straight line mileage distances to other locations. There is a map with the USA divided into 1/3 sections showing the locations within that 1/3 of the country. And, more.

Log in, click the button to go to the dump stations, and then select a state on the right side of the page. There are no instructions to follow other than using a little common sense. Locations can be printed by state, and there are buttons for additional information for existing locations and for new locations. I like to use locations for which a user can provide first-hand information. I need help to fill in the check list information for manyl locations, and especially Canada.

I have some thoughts about a new section I am working on, but I will save them for another post.

Jack

Sunshein said:
...the iJaunts database is ... operated by software scripts and hosted by a database server.

As are our forum message boards, our library, and our photo galleries, so I understand Jack.

In another post you mentioned a file of dump stations hosted on a Yahoo group and I assumed you were talking about the same file.

...this is a volunteer effort, and I am not selling anything.

Same here Jack. Been volunteering my time for RVers in the online world for 20+ years, as have many of the staff here.

In another post you mentioned a file of dump stations hosted on a Yahoo group and I assumed you were talking about the same file.

The file to which I made reference previously is a POI file which can be uploaded into a Garmin GPS system or compatible unit. The file contains 275 dump station locations in the USA. If you are interested in it, I can send it to you. Its size is about 16 KB.

Sorry for the other group information.

Jack

Sunshein said:
The file to which I made reference previously is a POI file which can be download from http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/OvernightRVParking/ and then uploaded into a Garmin GPS system or compatible unit.

We don't put files into our forum library without the express permission of the author, which was why I asked my original question.

You all should join the group. I am an assistant moderator for it as well as the moderator of the iJaunts database users group which was set up for discussion about the new dump station database.

Posting that message is a violation of our forum rules. We don't go to other forums or discussion groups trying to recruit members and expect the same courtesy from owners/moderators of other forums/groups who come here.

Tom, I removed some information from my previous post. Again if you would like to see that file, please advise.

Jack

Thanks Jack. Hope I didn't come across too strong.

Any and all RV-related files are always welcome additions to our library and due attribution will always be given.

Slight delay, but Jack's POI file of dump stations is now available for download from our forum library here.

A big thanks to Jack for freely contributing the file and allowing it to be uploaded to our forum library.

Back
Top Bottom