Overwhelmed- Open to Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
L

Litoralis

Retired Jan '05, been living on a boat in the PNW ever since, plan to get a camping trailer and take off for the winter for the first time. Selecting a winter destination has proven to be a daunting task. Hopefully,  I can get some help from some of you veterans.

Considering Mexico, but looking first at California, Nevada, Utah, and New Mexico.

My list of preferences are;
WIFI
Pet Friendly (little rattlesnake threat)
More of a campground, as opposed to paved parking lot, atmosphere.
Can be a little chilly, but prefer relatively dry. I get enough rain up here!
Near lake, ocean or river for shore fishing and lazy strolls.
Very dark, star-filled nights. (not near city)
<$400/mo

Not interested in flat, treeless, barren, desert parking lots.

Been spending hours and hours on the internet, have less idea now than when I started.

Should I consider just "wingin it", motoring here and there until I find my winter shangri-la? Seems expensive, unless I stay in Wal-Marts every night....yuk.

Really looking for your suggestions.
Thanks

Check out www.outdoorworldretreat.com. This quaint little park is located east of San Diego in the mountains. Lake Cuaymaca & Lake Morena are near by. San Diego is an hour away.  Lots of oak trees. No pavement. Lots of stars @ night. Wifi available. Pet friendly except there are coyotes, hawks & sometimes rattlesnakes. They are building a pond they plan on stocking.

Should I consider just "wingin it", motoring here and there until I find my winter shangri-la?

Absolutely!  And, why not?  Why choose just one place when all the states you mentioned have fabulous places to see and things to do?  It seems like you would be shortchanging yourself by going to just one place and settling there.  In another thread on time shares for RVers, Shane mentioned that he bought one and he went to the same place year after year.  In retrospect he thinks it was a poor purchase because he may have missed out on seeing a lot of other places.

We've been RVing for almost 40 years and, although we have a stick house to return to (like your boat in the summer), still roam our wonderful country and see new and different things - even on routes previously traveled.  In fact, we made the transition from boat to motorhome because the boat was too restrictive in terms of going places.  The RVing lifestyle provides us with many more places to visit.  There's nothing like hiking in Bryce Canyon, seeing Lake Tahoe, four-wheeling at Moab, going on a glacier in the Canadian Rockies, seeing the places like Philadelphia where the USA started, visiting Civil War battlefields, etc. etc. etc.  The people on this RV Forum enjoy all that life and our country have to offer.  Suggest you join us in seeing and doing these things.  You won't regret it!

ArdraF

Thanks Ronnie, not a bad idea.
Lived in San Diego, 68-79, wouldn't mind seein some of my old stompin grounds.
I recall a great bread bakery in Julian, still there?

I'll definitely consider your suggestion, thanks!

Thanks Ardra
I completely understand your point. I've subscribed to it my entire life.
I've traveled far more than the average duck, and am at a point now in my life that plopping down somewhere for four or five months sounds just fine, if it's the right place.
I berth in Blaine, WA, and in the summers it will take me years to see all the islands, straits, bays and fjords my trusty boat can take me.
I suspect (for no real tangible reason) I may be on more of a budget than you, so if I did chose to "wing it" wouldn't it be considerably more expensive (daily or weekly park fees, gasoline, etc) than monthly plopdown rates? Or does way-laying in WalMart parking lots offset the cost? Other alternatives?
I reiterate, your passion and appreciation for exploration is refreshing.
Thanks
Mark

LiveAboard said:
Thanks Ronnie, not a bad idea.
Lived in San Diego, 68-79, wouldn't mind seein some of my old stompin grounds.
I recall a great bread bakery in Julian, still there?

I'll definitely consider your suggestion, thanks!
Yes it is. They still have awesome apple pies. KQ Ranch is near Julian but i think you have to join a timeshare.

My list of preferences are;
WIFI
Pet Friendly (little rattlesnake threat)
More of a campground, as opposed to paved parking lot, atmosphere.
Can be a little chilly, but prefer relatively dry. I get enough rain up here!
Near lake, ocean or river for shore fishing and lazy strolls.
Very dark, star-filled nights. (not near city)
<$400/mo

Possibilities listing towns not campgrounds:

Ehrenberg, AZ:  The Riverbreeze RV Resort is right on the Colorado River, even has a launch ramp.  Grass sites.

Needles, CA:  Also on the River, it has a number of resorts.

Lake Casitas, CA:  decent sites on one of the finest bass lakes in the US.  It is about 10 miles from the coast and north of Ventura.

Liveaboard,

Good luck on your search. 

Just a "heads up".  My husband and I just moved from San Diego after living there for nearly 11 years.  It will be much different than when you were there in '68-'79.  Traffic is unbearable (horrific) and you will need reservations for campgrounds a ways in advance, especially in the winter months.  If you try to visit the Lake Cuyamaca area, it severly burned several years ago and is slow in coming back.

The Anza Borrego desert might be a good idea.  There is a passport america campground off of highway 2, it's called Stage Coach trails.  Not much to do, but the nights are beautiful.

Dudley's Bakery still exists and there is an extension of it in Santa Ysabella off of highway 78 & 79.  GREAT BREAD!!  Then there is Julian, but it will be cold in the winter, but they have fabulous apple pies.

Good luck!
Marsha~

The Anza Borrego desert might be a good idea.  There is a passport america campground off of highway 2, it's called Stage Coach trails.  Not much to do, but the nights are beautiful.

Indeed, and I would have mentioned except that there isn't a lake or a fish for miles.  Palm Canyon Resort in Borrego Springs, CA is particularly suited to Liveaboard's specs --  except for really thorough going dryness. 

Santee Lakes...

About 30 minutes east of downtown San Diego (I 52 east), just about fits all the requirements.  It's far enough out to be rural but also close enough for all major stores and facilities.  They do set aside certain campsites for 'permanent' residents, but have a 90???? day max. stay.  I don't know what the monthly rate is (around $700 I think)  but offer a deep discount for a little 'service' work.  I have met many senior full-timers there who return year after year. The climate would be pretty temperate - a little hot in the summer, and cool winter evenings, but no frost and little precip.  Downside...a little noisy at times from the Naval Jets and aircraft flying in and out of Miramar - but very liveable and very interesting none-the-less.  Fishing is good and you will need/want a bike or other transport to get around.  Cable TV is limited but many sites have WiFi.  Nice pool/spa and clubroom with clean showers and laundry. 

www.santeelakes.com.

BT

BT,

I noticed in one of your other post, you mentioned you lived in northern San Diego county.  If I may ask whereabouts?  We used to live in Bonsall, but sold it in June and moved to Kernville.

Marsha~

Outdoor World Retreat is in Boulevard just off Hwy 94 east of Campo. I think it is around $400 a month. They  are not full in the winter.  They have a store, clubhouse , pool & spa.  It can get cold & did snow last year. 

Ehrenberg, AZ:  The Riverbreeze RV Resort is right on the Colorado River, even has a launch ramp.  Grass sites.

Needles, CA:  Also on the River, it has a number of resorts.

Interesting options Carl. The warmth of 70* winters is certainly tempting.
I have e-mailed Riverbreeze and a couple in Needles for monthly rates and if they have WIFI.
Why is it so many don't show their monthly rates on the web?

Thanks Carl, clearly a guy that has been around.

Just a "heads up".  My husband and I just moved from San Diego after living there for nearly 11 years.  It will be much different than when you were there in '68-'79.  Traffic is unbearable (horrific) and you will need reservations for campgrounds a ways in advance, especially in the winter months.  If you try to visit the Lake Cuyamaca area, it severly burned several years ago and is slow in coming back.

Dudley's Bakery still exists and there is an extension of it in Santa Ysabella off of highway 78 & 79.  GREAT BREAD!!  Then there is Julian, but it will be cold in the winter, but they have fabulous apple pies.

Good point Marsha, friends have been telling me for years how bad the traffic has gotten. Funny how we chose to recall only the "good" stuff sometimes.

I used to ride dirt bikes in Anza-Borrego back then. Beautiful but you're right, not much to do, and as been mentioned, dry, dry, dry. I guess, as I live on the water, literally, I can't be without it, in some form or another. Gotta see it, smell it, wiggle my toes in it.

Also, I recall lotsa rattlers in the desert there, little concerned for the welfare of my trusty mutt.

DUDLEY's - YES that's it. Just thinkin about their bread makes my socks roll up n down.

I guess camping in Julian for the winter sort of defeats the purpose of being a snowbird. But it would sure be a nice place to spend the day.

Thanks for your input.

Mark

Outdoor World Retreat is in Boulevard just off Hwy 94 east of Campo. I think it is around $400 a month. They  are not full in the winter.  They have a store, clubhouse , pool & spa.  It can get cold & did snow last year.

Yes, looks like $425/mo, but includes WIFI.
Still an interesting option, just won't be heading off to San Diego often, maybe just Dudley's.
Can you give me some idea of the weather in the winter there? Some cold days? Many? All?

Thanks Ronnie

Well, I appreciate all you helping me with this new adventure for me. But, I'm still in this quandary.

I have this vision....
pine trees...
cool mountain air...
crystal clear waters....
warm, sunny days...
smilin faces...
lotsa a pretty women, each carrying pipin' hot pizza....

What can I say, I survived the 60's in the SF Bay area.

Help.

LiveAboard said:
Well, I appreciate all you helping me with this new adventure for me. But, I'm still in this quandary.

I have this vision....
pine trees...
cool mountain air...
crystal clear waters....
warm, sunny days...
smilin faces...
lotsa a pretty women, each carrying pipin' hot pizza....

What can I say, I survived the 60's in the SF Bay area.

Help.

OK, howabout Costa Rica?  Tahiti?  FedEx from Shakey's?

Marsha

Currently,  east  Oceanside, off 76 and College, not far from Bonsall.  Less than a mile from Wally World.  Though not the closest nor the swankiest but we regularly use the Movie theater in Bonsall - a lot less hastle than the other big picture houses in the area.  We used to live right across from Guajome Lake Park, but moved here a couple of years ago.  Kernville sounds hot to me and is a long way from the Ocean...

BT

Well if it's cool mountain air you want, and Julian sounds attractive, check out Piinezanita (Ranch???), just outside Julian.  They do accommodate snow-birds, have a small lake, full hook-ups, nice clean family-owned park with general store etc. and is definitely rural - Though being at that elevation, some snow is to be expected.

BT

LiveAboard said:
Yes, looks like $425/mo, but includes WIFI.
Still an interesting option, just won't be heading off to San Diego often, maybe just Dudley's.
Can you give me some idea of the weather in the winter there? Some cold days? Many? All?

Thanks Ronnie
We leave our trailer ther from May 1st to October 1st & go up for the weekends.  In May the nights get down into the 30's.  Talk to Dimitri or Sharon the owners than can tell you more about the winters. I know it snowed @ least once last winter.  It has lots of oak trees squirrels, rabbits, birds & 4 wild turkeys.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom