new

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are great until you get stuck in a rain  and then you'll be ready to get something else.  JMO 

Many of us started with pop-ups and some are still in them. Sure, it's not as elegant as a motorhome (especially in the rain!), but what the heck?

If the budget permits, you might consider one of the smaller hybrids, a hard sided & roofed trailer that has pop-up style expansion areas. The Starcraft Antigua & Travel Star Expandables are examples.  That gives you somewhat more weather proof structure and maybe a more secure feeling as well.

Travel Star Expandable

Starcraft Antigua Expandable

Pop-ups don't generally leak in the rain, but they are inconvenient to put up in the rain and if it is wet when you break camp, it must be opened again later to dry out. If you put it away wet it will mildew (at best) or rot (at worst).

We had a Coleman popup for 10 years prior to getting a TT. We never had problems with rain leaking into the popup.  But after camping in rain, we always put the popup up when we returned and let the outside of the canvas dry throughly before we put it back down an into storage.  I think this action prevented ever getting a musty smell in the popup.  Two years ago we got a TT because we had retired, we wanted more amenities, and  I was tired of cranking my top up and down.  But I sure miss the gas milage I got pulling the popup.  It was almost like it wasn't there.  With the TT, my milage was cut about 30%.  And there is something about a tent trailer that is more appealing and akin to being in the outdoors that I sometimes miss. 

Thanks for the input from you both.  We currently travel in a teardrop and are ready to move up.....anything compared to a teardrop is considered "moving up" so we have alot to choose from!  We have been looking at lots of different options but have accepted the fact that price, ease of towing and storage are things that we have to consider.  We love to camp so the pop up is probably the way we will go.  It's good to hear the opinion of like minded people that have already owned a popup.  After a teardrop, a popup will be luxury!  This forum has been very informative and helpful....I love it!

I realize this is an older post (didn't discover the forum until recently), but would like to add my two cents....

I was a former tent camper who got to the point I couldn't pack/unpack and set up/take down due to rheumatoid arthritis.  Rather than give up camping/travel, I modified my lifestyle and bought a pop up camper.  My requirements at the time were potty and AC.  I viewed quite a few, and was impressed with floorplans and amenities.  I purchased a Fleetwood Niagara and an add-a-room (weatherproof 7x14' enclosed area for under the awning), and have been so pleased. 

I read the post on setting up/tearing down in the rain, and I just want to tell you it's not all that bad to do.  Once you get back home, you open your camper again to dry it out.  I on the other hand carry an electric leaf blower which I would use as a hair dryer to rid the canvas, etc., of excess water (don't laugh - it works very well).

Towing, backing into a site and set up is pretty easy (and for me to say that .... as I solo).  Wind resisitance when towing is minimal, and for me there is no sway or jerking when towing.  I wish I'd bought this unit years ago - the amenities are very nice, and I've 'lived in it' for 2-3 week stretches and have thoroughly enjoyed it.  Added memory foam toppers to the bunks and heated mattress pads - and have a very cozy sleep in cool weather.  Furnace really cranks, and the AC is wonderful in the summer.  Having the toilet (residential style china) onboard is a blessing (no more toe stubbing midnight treks to the bathhouse to be devoured by insects).  Three way refrigerator has a freezer compartment and does a good job.  Three burner range makes meal preparation nice and organized.  Something many don't realize when viewing Popup campers is some models have more counter space in the kitchen and that too is a nice feature.  All the comforts of home on a smaller scale!

Thanks for that post Pattie. I sure got an eye opener when I looked at some popups at RV shows.

Would never laugh at people's ways of removing water.  In 03 while the flooding in Illinois was disastrous we had a couple of state routes that had been covered via Mississippi river canal over flow.  I had IDOT trucks install the snowplows and line one behind the other closely in a staggered alignment and continually plow the water back over the sand bag levees.  This all radioed over a good portion of the state.  Questions from HQ came poring down as what was this numbskull doing plowing water?  Our engineer came out to visualize the project, scratched his head and radioed back--Let him alone, it's working. With in an or less many other sectors were doing the same thing. Now somewhat a regular procedure when flooding occurs.  I figured if you can plow snow, why not water?  Snow is water, just in a different form.  Anyway, If it works, do it.

Patty and everyone else, thank you for your responses. They have been very enlightening.  Because of zoning requirements we need something that will store in our garage. Therefore, we had agreed on getting the Fleetwood Arcadia. BUT NOW Fleetwood is making a hard side model (Tacoma). Its never easy. My husband is trying to convince me that losing both slide out beds is NOT worth the trade for NO CANVAS and SECURITY. I would appreciate any comments you all can provide.  Thanks Again!  TT

Trailertrash --- Just downloaded the Tacoma brochure from the website.  Impressive.  Looks good, but, I haven't been in one to 'test the bed'.  I have the Fleetwood Niagara, with the two king size bunks (memory foam topper and heated mattress pads), and all the same features/amenities the Tacoma lists.  The refrigerator size is a smidget larger on the Tacoma (4.2 c/f) than the 3.7 cf of my Niagara.

But as to amenities, the bathroom is very nice as is the twin bowl sink.  The freezing compartment in the 3-way fridge is great - will freeze ice cubes overnight and keeps ice cream also.  The Furance (16,000btu) does a great job at heating (but you will use propane).  The range/oven is very nice and works well (easy to clean, use).  One nice thing about the Highlander series is the amount of counter space in the kitchen - enough for food preparation and/or set up of appliances/dishdrainer, etc.  The 6 gal. auto ignition water heater is a good feature!  If you were to purchase this model, I would suggest the addition of a Carrier Air-V airconditioner as it does a wonderful job of cooling. 

The only disadvantage I can see to this unit is the lack of floor space....but, if it is only one or two people this might not be a drawback.  The dinette is rather tiny, but again would suffice for one or two people.  I did not notice whether the sitting area had 120-v outlets within easy access (if one wanted a table lamp for reading, etc., or where to put a television).  There appears to be a little ledge on the back of the sitting area (under the window). 

If you have the opportunity to view this model, I would advise doing so.  Sit on the potty, cook a meal, lay on the bed - see if it all agrees with you.  Remember to simulate being stuck inside for fowl weather for hours -- are the quarters cramped?

Not knowing if you have kids (if you do, this unit might not be for you due to floor space).....

I never thought about 'security' .... and never had any issues in all my years of tent camping or in the PUP.  And, I don't know if the Tacoma and it's 'hard sides' are any safer than the canvas of other pop up campers in bear country.  If you were to get this model, I would also suggest you invest in an awning and add-a-room (if available) as you will want the additional space (7x14).

Happy pup hunting!

After further thought, the Tacoma really doesn't compare to the Highlander series.  You get so much more for your money  with an Arcadia or Niagara....especially space and larger sleeping areas.  The Tacoma is about the same price as an Arcadia.  You speak very highly of your pup.  It helps to hear from owners with experience so any comments or tips are welcomed.  Thanks! 

Back
Top Bottom