A Firefox vs IE question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I'm (and Gary) not seeing what you're seeing.  We're getting different HTML for the same images.  I attached the properties to the previous message.

To further compound the mystery, I get the same HTML (no Title tags) in Opera and IE as I get in FF.  It's definitely generating different code for me and Gary (and Carson) than it is for you.

Was that html and image from a displayed message or from the row of emoticons on the message composition screen?

Ned said:
It's definitely generating different code for me and Gary (and Carson) than it is for you.

That's illogical. The script and server have no reason to generate different html for one user vs another.

It was from actual messages in this thread.

It may be illogical, but it's happening.  Just the thing to get the brain working on a Sunday morning :)

Ned said:
It was from actual messages in this thread.

Well I guess you haven't been reading my messages; I've said several times that the title tag is in the code for emoticons only on the message composition screen.

Ned said:
Are you using a different theme, perhaps?

Nope. But, just in case, I just forced everyone to the forum theme.

Tom said:
I've said several times that the title tag is in the code for emoticons only on the message composition screen.

You're right, I missed that.  I see where you got the source from now.  But we were reporting the anomaly on the message viewing window, perhaps you missed that  ::)

No problem after all.  Good brain exercise however.

But we were reporting the anomaly on the message viewing window, perhaps you missed that

Initially I did, but realized while posting this message last evening. Must have been past your bed time  ;D

I see no benefit to having a title for an emoticon in a message body. If the emoticon isn't self explanatory, it would be pointless using it.

I agree.  I can see the use in the composition window, however.  I guess we both have to read a bit more carefully :)

Your message was posted about 40 minutes after I retired and I read it first thing this morning before I had my first cup of coffee.  I plead caffeine deficiency.

Carson, if you've stayed awake through all this, my original answer to you was correct.  Sorry we got sidetracked.

I guess I don't see a need for title text on any emoticon - as you say, it ought to be self explanatory. I do have a "thing" about consistent behavior, though. It's always mildly distressing to me to see the same thing act differently in different contexts - it violates basic design principles.  ::) Even though in this case it is a matter of form rather than substance.

Anyway, the emoticon "hover" mystery is solved and please don't think I am asking you are anybody to do work to alter anything.  :)

Great stuff, Ned and Tom,
  Yes, I stayed awake and read every syllable. Amazing how much chatter this little problem created. Should I apologize? :)

I guess I should not have called it a problem, rather an anomaly.

If I want too interpret an emoticon on the message window, all I need to do is check the property of the icon and read the alternate text entry. Easy.

T'was interesting.

carson

Carson, not an anomaly, WAD (Working As Designed) :)

John, thanks for the offer.
  My wife is trying to kill me, if I don't get rid of that old junk.

If we did that swap thing, would that solve both our problems; can't figure that one out. :)

carson

Ned:  Yep, I understand.

carson said:
Should I apologize?

Absolutely not! Heck, we should give you an award for starting an interesting discussion that caused a number of us to learn something.

Thank you Tom,  please, no award. I already have one from a bowling league in 1955.

carson FL

carson said:
I already have one from a bowling league in 1955.

Hey, I have one from about 1948.  Is there a museum for old bowling trophies? :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom