Do you know anything about the Tow-Buddy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MLCBFarrell

Hi to all,
I just read in another post about something we have NEVER seen or heard of before. It's called the "Tow-Buddy" or "Hitch-Buddy". It looks almost like a tow dolly in that it hooks to the receiver hitch, but it has a receiver for a fifth wheel on it. When I went to the web-site, I watched a video of this thing being used. It looked pretty neat, but what I found really interesting was that they showed a picture of an EXCURSION towing a fifth wheel using this thing!! Wow, let me tell you, hubby was so excited when I showed him the website! He dreams of getting into a fifth wheel again but we have an Excursion, and can in no way replace both TV and RV at the same time. If this thing is as good as it appears to be, we could find the 5'er of our dreams now, then trade for a truck later! So, does anybody know ANYTHING about this thing, have experience with it, know someone who uses one, safety of it, etc.?  The only drawback we see so far is that the only place that carries them on the EAST coast are some CW's in FL, which is a little far from VA.
Thanks in advance,
LuAnn & Mike

I think this is what you saw: Tow Buddy - Hitch Buddy

Have never seen one in use or had any feedback from an owner. Wonder what it is like to back up? I see them do it in the videos, but that's a professional driver with experience in using it.

Why is your husband fixated on a fifth wheel?  Why not get a travel trailer if you must keep the Excursion?  And please note that the ability to hook up a large fifth wheel with the Tow Buddy does not mean you can pull it.

They call that a "Converter" (A 5th wheel on a "Truck" designed to be towed, converts a 5th wheel into a standard trailer)

I can think of a lot of reasons I would not want one.. First, it converts a "2 wheel" trailer (even if it has twin axles and duals it still handles like a 2-wheel trailer) to a 4-wheel wagon,  I've backed 4-wheel wagons.. NOT FUN, try backing with it before you lay your money down

Second, one of the ideas is to transfer the weight of the trailer (Well part of it) to the tow vehicle DRIVE WHEELS where it can do some good, This device defeats that.

The other idea of a 5-er has to do with drivability, both forward and backward a 5th wheel is (All other factors equal) easiest to tow and to push (Back up) of all the trailer designs.

This defeats that as well

Now I can see where it might be an advantage on a dealer's lot or for a trailer transport company (Delivery company) but I would not wish to use one for myself,  I'd rather get a traditional toung pulled Travel Trailer,  I think that would be much better.

Well, guys...Hubby just really misses his fifth wheels! He had a 27' when we married, and we traded up to a 35', then traded up to a 40' with a couch slide-out. We both really like the feel of them, and he's just dreaming like all 'boys' do about their toys! We have a 29' TT currently, looking for something bigger now because we didn't have the Excursion when we bought the TT (so we had to go with an ultralight). Looking for something with more of a bunkhouse and room for his Mom to go along with us now and then (yes, she and I get along great so that's all good!). Of course, we dream of getting back to a 5'er someday but know that when we buy the next TT we'll have to live with it a while until we get a truck rather than an SUV. I know we are like a lot of people here on the forum, have to alternate buying TV and RV so that it's more affordable! I just thought that if this tow-buddy thing worked, we could get back into 5'er sooner, rather than later. We were just dreaming a little bit! That's why I wondered if anyone had any experience with them. When we saw it, we just couldn't believe what we saw and just had to wonder about safety/reliability/stability. And so on!!

LuAnn

Well, as I said, I would not wish to buy one based on the internet video, from what I saw of it there it's more trouble than it's worth

HOWEVER.. in fairness.. You might visit the factory and try one in action... I could be wrong.

That was going to be my suggestion John.  I think the only way to truly see what this thing is capable of, and whether it would work for someone, would be to visit the dealer (or factory).  I have to believe they would set up a demo and let you try it out.  Something like that really needs to be tried before it is buyed (uhhh, forgive the wording...just sounded too good!).  Anyway, if you do get around to actually looking at one, please let us know.

Well, Ed...doubt we'll ever check it out so that we could give a report back. I was just thinking that it was something we'd never seen/heard of before and wanted to know more. What wife could be faulted for trying to find a way to fulfill darling hubby's dreams? LOL!  I love him  :-* , he's the best and does everything for his family (and more) with no thought for himself. Just thought that if this thing was as cool as it looked and actually worked and was safe, that maybe instead of shopping for a TT with a bunkhouse, we could be shopping for a FW with a bunkhouse! Then, in a year or 3, trade Excursion for a big truck (for him to have a truck again is another dream of his), and we'd have what we feel is our perfect set-up!

Figured that since the Forum reaches so many people across the country, that maybe somebody had seen one or had some type of experience with one!

Thanks to all for the replies!

LuAnn

Call them and ask if they can refer you to a [satisfied] customer in your area - or perhaps a dealer who would have one available.

Sure would like to hear more about this. I was skeptical at first,, but on closer look (at the video and photos) it appears the thing might just work. I note that it seems to have two attachments to the tow vehicle (rather than one pivot point). In the backing-up procedure demo'ed in the video, it did not appear to act like a 4 wheel wagon, which I (like John) know to be somewhat of a challenge to those accustomed to two-wheelers.

There is a test and review of this thing in the October issue of 'Trailer Life'. Didn't read it completely due to no interest. But you may want to check it.

We did email the company and ask for further information on this, and to tell them that there was no dealer anywhere near us. They replied, and told us that they were posting the Trailer Life product review to their web site in the next few days. They also said that we would qualify for their "factory direct pricing at $4995.00 with free shipping."  I'll have to look up the review and see what else I can find out...

Thanks, y'all!  ;D
LuAnn

Well, I don't know if I would actually BUY one or USE one, but I am really intrigued by this. It definitely has piqued my curiosity-that's why I asked Forum members if they knew anything about it. Maybe it's just so new and different, that our minds aren't quite open to it yet? Sort of like when "horseless buggies" first hit the road?!  My inquiring mind wants to know! LOL! 

Figured the Forum was a safe way to ask questions and get some input. You all never make me feel TOO silly!  ;D  Like my old professor used to say, "the only dumb question is the one you don't ask!" So, I headed straight to the Forum for more info!

LuAnn

One thing that occurs to me is the problem of what to do with the Buddy once you set up on a camp site. We gripe about tow dollys for towing cars behind motorhomes and this is a dolly on steroids! Yeah, you could drive the SUV/truck to the store with the Tow Buddy attached, but you would probably want to remove it most times. That means a place to store it at the camp site plus whatever effort to remove and re-connect.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Depending on how hard it is to disconnect from the tow vehicle, just leave it connected to the 5th.

That's what I was thinking Don.  Kinda like a big, heavy, overpriced tripod!!  LOL!!

I couldn't believe it when i saw the mention of it and watched the video. Sounds like a neat trick but I'm wondering, is it called a triple tow? Triple tow is something that just isn't allowed anywhere down this way so if it is considered to be a triple tow then it wont be seen down here.

@ RV Roamer. The Tow Buddy doesn't turn, it becomes a tag axle behind the TV.

John In Detroit said:
Second, one of the ideas is to transfer the weight of the trailer (Well part of it) to the tow vehicle DRIVE WHEELS where it can do some good, This device defeats that.
John, this is what they say.
...Tow Buddy weighs approximately 1,000 lbs., and must be included in the gross trailer weight. This means it must also be included in the combined gross vehicle and trailer weight.
Tow Buddy also transfers approximately one-third of the pin weight of your fifth-wheel to your receiver hitch, providing added traction to the rear wheels of the tow vehicle

Gets more interesting the more you look at it doesn't it.

I can just see it now the guy with a his Caddy, towbuddy, 5ver, and of course the big boat on his way with the family to Lake of the Ozarks wondering why he isn't getting good milage. ;) :D ;D

Not at all, it gets less interesting in fact.

1/3 of the pin weight improves traction 1/3 as much as the full pin weight. 

As for tripple tow, no, it's a converter and does not count as a 2nd trailer.

But I still think it is a solution for which no problem exists, I see no need for it, and feel it will cause more problems than it solves.

@ Ron we have already seen them turn up in here and boast of how they run over the limit and have had no problems... how many would go over the limit with one of them between them and their tow? I'm a little like John, wondering if it is really all that sensible.

@ John, thanks for the clarification about a triple tow. Wonder what they would class them as down this way.
And yes, can see what you are saying about a solution without a problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlm611
Back
Top Bottom